Thread: Remembrance Day Personal Reflection

Remembrance Day Personal Reflection

If you go to our web site today Nov 11, 2020 you will see on our web page pictures of Dianne's parents. Both parents, Marge and Bill served and met during WW II. Bill Opitz was on the HMCS Bayfield and was one of the first ships to arrive at Normandy beach as they were a mine sweeper. Dianne's mother Marge was a Wren. Bill passed away a few years ago and Marge is currently in hospital (fell last week and broke her arm). Marge is 92 years old.

My own father Jerry Harnois was a career soldier (passed away several years ago at 67). He served in the armored regiments mainly with the Lord Strathcona's Horse and rose to the rank of Regimental Sergeant Major of the Royal Canadian Dragoons. He served in WWII and was wounded in combat in Korea just prior to my being born. Dad also spent a year in Egypt on a peace keeping tour with the United Nations. My uncle Phillip Harnois (who I am named after) was killed in England during a live fire training accident. He was with the Princess Louise Dragoon Guards. One of my bucket list items is to visit his grave in England. I thank all those who served and remember them always. Phil.
    P&D Enterprises (Retail dealer in Arms, Ammo and Accessories)
    10552 115 St Nw
    Edmonton AB
    T5H 3K6
    Phone (780)420-6419
    Fax (780)420-1945
    Visit our Site http://www.p-d-ent.com

I visited your web site and that is very nicely done. I hope you get to England to visit that gravesite. Both of my grandfathers lost brothers during the final push of WWI, September 1918. I have been to their cemeteries in France and can assure you that you will not forget the experience.