Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Henry Warranty and Parts in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Vewdu View Post
    Because no body wants to pay what a good gunsmith is worth. People don't understand the difference between being an armourer vs a smith. One any monkey can do, the other requires the ability to design, fabricate or recreate parts and pieces using a variety of tools and methods.
    True statement.....a journeyman gunsmith has more capability than a guy with a set of screw divers, a drill and some files. A true gunsmith has been to school on the specific trade and has years of apprentising, not to mention 10s of thousands of dollars in machinery and specific tools, not just screw drivers. Unfortunately I think we have many parts replacers and guess work artists.
    Last edited by Bigmedcin; 11-26-2020 at 06:04 PM.

X5 on our warranted service here in Ontario. Sent away an .22LR golden boy with feed problems on the last round from the magazine. Got it back with a bunch of new aesthetic parts changed that looked to be aftermarket or from a different series of manufacture as they were poor fit and finish.......and the last round still wouldn't cycle.

Hi everyone. Wanted to give another update. After I made my post, both Dan from Henry and John Grech reached out to me and offered to replace the 45-70 for a brand new one rigjt off the shelf. It showed up yestarday, and looks great. I'm going to put a few shots through it tomorrow and see how it shoots, but I'm pretty optimistic.

Name:  20201208_121048.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  103.2 KB

Super GunNutz
    I can also attest that Grech's "service" is non-existent. I tried ordering spare parts for a new Howa rifle - you know, like responsible adults do, b-e-f-o-r-e the parts wear out. Never got a reply to my email - in which I had also inquired about a large order of Speer bullets, that Grech also claims to distribute...

I ended up having to order the parts I needed from Elwood Epps, which is the warranty center for Weatherby (some internal Weatherby parts are compatible with Howa rifles, but if I ever need a "cosmetic" part for my Howa, I am out of luck). I was only able to get 50% of the parts I needed, though.

Think twice about purchasing a rifle from a manufacturer that lists Grech as their sole service center. You might end up with a $1000.00 paperweight down the road...

CGN Regular
    I needa trigger recall done . Really hesitent about sending it to Grechs

Grech actually did me a solid, with some S&W warranty work......
    Calling in every couple weeks, and speaking politely on the phone seemed to do the trick for my warranty case.

Cannot refute the other's posts, as I have limited experience with Grech, but they (he?) is not that bad, at least not in my case.

but, regarding the OP: I would be pretty pissed off, if they just ground the front site down, and didn't even do it properly (neat job, proper looking, AND FUNCTIONAL!)

YMMV
    Another wave of propaganda, and a new strain of BULLSHHT!!!

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink! -unknown

I went in and got the Single recall taken care of, for the first 10 minutes I found him abrasive, overly proud and I would even say arrogant. The last 5 minutes I had dismissed his first attitude and decided I would act cordial and inquire about the huge pile of rifles waiting, the problem of getting parts in etc. and for the last 5 he was actually friendly and did a good job. I get the feeling he is yelled at constantly for delays but keeps getting more put in the to do pile. He needs to take on staff (especially someone that can talk nice and patient to customers) and perhaps take more care in his work instead of rushing which sounds like it may be an issue based on comments and with the pile I saw. He said he had other shops sending him work and If each one took an hour to unwrap, check, fix, check fix works and wrap I would estimate at a 40 hour week he had 3 weeks+ work pile up there or more and I am betting many would take more effort, parts to order etc.. I may be wrong but I go the feeling he might not be a bad guy to work and deal with if you came at him with the right approach and patience to get past that first 10 minutes....
    "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke
    "Truth eludes us if we do not pursue it with constant attention." Alex. Solzhenitsyn "Science shows that God exists." Prof. D. Barton Nobel Prize Chemistry

CGN Regular
    Grech outdoors is the worst to deal with and I refuse to buy any brands that use him for warranty. I have been there in person and seen hundreds of boxes scattered around the shop which seems on par with reviews of items getting lost or taking months. I refuse to buy chiappa anymore because of it.
    "My idea of gun control is keeping guns from bad people." - captain obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster504 View Post
    Grech outdoors is the worst to deal with and I refuse to buy any brands that use him for warranty. I have been there in person and seen hundreds of boxes scattered around the shop which seems on par with reviews of items getting lost or taking months. I refuse to buy chiappa anymore because of it.
    OK.... so that's Henry, Chiappa, Mossberg, Savage and a couple more, I think CZ too, that directly shipped to him and he listed off a few others that shipped to their store front and then to him but I wont list them because it might just be his bs after he mellowed. There are too few who will put in the time and too many hurdles in Canada for a gun smith probably and the choices are limited (and if half of what he said was true, much more limited than I expected) unless you learn how to do the work yourself or want to ship to the US. None of us want to deal with an a**h*** so if you go through his door with that attitude I guarantee he will give it back it took 10 minutes of ignoring his grump to get a better attitude of response. Hopefully a few shop owners out there will see the opportunity and have themselves or someone dedicated to their shop put in the effort to get to a skill/insurance etc. level they can grab some of the contracts but with the number of shops shrinking and owners getting old.... you may have to ignore his attitude until he thaws or the work is done right.

If he wants to keep his almost monopoly and do a better job he needs a person to talk to the customers, track and organize for sure!
    Last edited by Consults; 12-19-2020 at 09:54 PM.
    "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke
    "Truth eludes us if we do not pursue it with constant attention." Alex. Solzhenitsyn "Science shows that God exists." Prof. D. Barton Nobel Prize Chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by Consults View Post
    I went in and got the Single recall taken care of, for the first 10 minutes I found him abrasive, overly proud and I would even say arrogant. The last 5 minutes I had dismissed his first attitude and decided I would act cordial and inquire about the huge pile of rifles waiting, the problem of getting parts in etc. and for the last 5 he was actually friendly and did a good job. I get the feeling he is yelled at constantly for delays but keeps getting more put in the to do pile. He needs to take on staff (especially someone that can talk nice and patient to customers) and perhaps take more care in his work instead of rushing which sounds like it may be an issue based on comments and with the pile I saw. He said he had other shops sending him work and If each one took an hour to unwrap, check, fix, check fix works and wrap I would estimate at a 40 hour week he had 3 weeks+ work pile up there or more and I am betting many would take more effort, parts to order etc.. I may be wrong but I go the feeling he might not be a bad guy to work and deal with if you came at him with the right approach and patience to get past that first 10 minutes....
    There is a family run business run out of their house I deal with out west, their mostly into supplies and accessories for cast and reloading with some gunsmithing to offer, also a couple brand name suppliers.
    They are smart enough to let the wife handle phone and emails, she has a great disposition and patients, the husband on the other hand has poor customer relation skills and acts as though you are wasting his time and is too busy for trivial stuff like...questions! Somtimes business people with the idea they are a monopoly or the only one in town, they get very arrogant, I will always try to support local or Canadian first, but do to attitude or lack of customer service, I have spent far more money across the boarder over the years, yes a little inconvenient at times but in most cases "cheaper" and availible.