Thread: Daisy Is In The House!!

CGN Regular
    Well ....... ya could do both

Just sayin

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by collingwood View Post
    hi all

this is a dilemma for me this year .

the little guy is 5 and i've been torn between a pellet /bb gun ,or just go straight to a rascal 22.

i just recall all kids pellet and bb guns from my youth to be extremely inaccurate and thus annoying and disappointing after awhile .

you aimed , shot, missed , all while watching the pellet arc and hit ground

are these newer ones better /stronger ?

90 % of the enjoyment is actually hitting your target .

or straight to rimfire?

thoughts ? your experience with 5 yr olds?
    Personally start them out with BB gun. Why?

For exactly the reason you mentioned, you can see the BB and you have to lead a #### ton.

Some of the best trick shooters in the world started out young with a BB gun, shooting ping pong balls or smaller items really helps hand/eye coordination.

My Grandson is starting on a Red Ryder, maybe even next summer. I wouldn't give up my Red Ryder memories for love or money.
    Victory Formation

"Somebody get a gun and shoot it! Doesn't anybody have a gun?" Jaws 1975
    A society grows great when men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.

I bought a second hand Red Ryder probably close to ten years ago, it doesn't shoot super far and isn't the most accurate but it's starting to turn into an endurance test, I keep waiting for it to break and it still works just as well as it did when I bought it. I take it out to plink in the winter quite a bit and I've purposely taken it out in really crappy conditions because I got it for so cheap but nothing seems to really stop it. In terms of getting your moneys worth over time they're still pretty tough to beat.

I received mine when I was 8 (39 years ago) and I still pull it out occasionally. I don’t know if I could have figured it out at 5.
    I’m still glad my dad bought it for me. Everything he showed me is still relevant when I pull out other firearms years later.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Cocked&Locked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by collingwood View Post
    hi all

this is a dilemma for me this year .

the little guy is 5 and i've been torn between a pellet /bb gun ,or just go straight to a rascal 22.

i just recall all kids pellet and bb guns from my youth to be extremely inaccurate and thus annoying and disappointing after awhile .

you aimed , shot, missed , all while watching the pellet arc and hit ground

are these newer ones better /stronger ?

90 % of the enjoyment is actually hitting your target .

or straight to rimfire?

thoughts ? your experience with 5 yr olds?
    I'd do BB first, pellet, then the rascal .22...the progression in power and flatter shooting is a great learning experience in itself.
    I had a BB as a child and it shot very well for what it was. In the winter Dad and I would shoot sparrows in the rafters of the farm equipment shed. He held a flashlight on them and I'd shoot. Would get a dozen or more every time. A delicious treat for the cats.
    We are annoyed by the assumption on the part of certain public figures that the citizen should be able to prove the need for the citizen to acquire a means of protecting himself. The citizens personal needs are certainly no business of the state. Liberty, when it's in place, grants the right of the citizen to do what he chooses, as long as he does not stamp on the rights of others.
    JEFF COOPER

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BANNED
    Be careful you don't shoot your eye out.

CGN frequent flyer
    My red ryder is surprisingly accurate. Sure they aren't fast and you need to compensate for drop on long shots, but I've never been disappointed with its accuracy. Cheap easy fun gun. I think everyone should have one to play with.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer johNTO's Avatar
    As a kid growing up with limited funds I couldn't decided between the RR and the 25(pump). Didn't end up getting either due to a bike purchase.
    Now I think I may get one(or both models) just because. Winchester has a model 12 pump BB that looks nice even with all the plastic parts.....
    joi gin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12