WK180-c / WS-MCR what accessories should we make?

True North Arms Corp

CGN frequent flyer
Business Member
Rating - 100%
109   0   1
Hi gang!

we are jumping into the wk and ws platforms with both feet!

what accessories do you want or need?

brass deflector?
oversized bolt handles?

what's on your minds?

- Bolt Hold Open/release
- Cocking handle that doesn't break
- Pistons that don't break
- Don't make but specifically stock rails that fit onto the 180C/WS-MCR
- Don't make but specifically stock triggers that fit into the 180C/WS-MCR

By en-large I would say that both the WK180C and WS-MCR only need the bolt hold open/release in order to come with everything they need. The thing that consistently lets both rifles down is the quality of the parts themselves.

Hi gang!

we are jumping into the wk and ws platforms with both feet!

what accessories do you want or need?

brass deflector?
oversized bolt handles?

what's on your minds?

WK-180c owner here,

- New charging handle designs, I have the SBI improved version and it's good but more variety is always preferred, maybe something oversized or shaped differently (i.e dog leg shape, curved like a 10/22 or AK, etc.)

- I definitely agree on a new bolt catch/release, the Kodiak and RWA designs are fine but something with a longer handle/catch or reversible would be nice. It would be awesome if I could reach the bolt release using the thumb of my trigger hand without breaking my grip.

- Maybe a 45 degree throw safety selector? I may be mistaken but I don't think an AR-15 selector would work.

- More WK-180 compatible handguards, I have your super-MLOK handguard and it works great but some more options would be awesome (i.e minimalist handguard with no picatinny on top, color matched to factory finish, etc.), I don't know if it would be cost prohibitive or not but machining in a port on longer hand guards so we can still access the gas system without handguard removal would be awesome.

- A new front takedown pin (similar to the one made by RWA) would be a nice addition as well, I often find it easier to separate the two receivers entirely for maintenance and it's quite a fuss messing around with that e-clip every time.

- Consider stocking a wider variety of AR-15 pistol grips without beavertails, since this is what fits best on the WK/MS platform.

- I'm sure plenty of people would want a nice alternative to the 3-D printed WK deflectors out there, I'm fine with some marks on my rifle so it's not something I would purchase personally, plus I run my charging handle on the right side so lots of the current designs wouldn't work for me.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Looking forward to what you come up with!

Last edited:
As other's have said, a stronger piston rod would be good. I think that part is prone to break more than most. A lot of people complain about the charging handle, but I've got the new one from Spectre and it works fine.

I'm in the process of putting a shorter barrel on mine. I bought a Maple Ridge Armory barrel and have found QC, support and communication lacking for the price. So for those interested in making a restricted range toy out of theirs, having some stock of more reasonably priced barrels would be good.

As part of the project, I bought a barrel nut wrench from you guys, and while the price was right, I had to file out the narrow part as it wasn't getting enough bite with the tapered design it came with. The nut requires a solid 30mm wrench that isn't too thick as the nut can be torqued on there pretty good.

And I've also purchased a barrel dimple jig from you, but it only will do one dimple, not two, which is unfortunate. I couldn't find a two dimple jig anywhere. The gas block on the WK180C requires two.

Finding reasonably priced MLok accessories is also a pain. I would love a BCM gunfighter short fore grip but they are nowhere to be found. It was challenging to find a Surefire scout offset mount (had to order from the US), and even finding a sling QD mount for MLox was challenging that wasn't a complete rip off.

Longer op rod to open up the possibility of installing a different barrel. RWA made me a mid length op rod which I used to install a MRA barrel and I was really happy with the results but they don't make them anymore. Perhaps even a rifle length op rod as most NR length barrels are ported for a rifle length gas system.

Would also like a bolt sized for the 6.8spc / .224 valkyrie. Yeah I know the Spectre built rifles come in .224 V but I haven't seen a bolt available yet.

Oh, and make the bolts better quality so the lugs don't break off. My one WK got the upper destroyed when the lugs sheared off G:

- A new front takedown pin (similar to the one made by RWA) would be a nice addition as well, I often find it easier to separate the two receivers entirely for maintenance and it's quite a fuss messing around with that e-clip every time.

I bought one of these... and while it's more convenient, it's also more prone to coming loose after firing several rounds. So be careful what you wish for. :)

outstanding!

handguards would be nifty. along with some old school AR-180b furniture if possible. being able to retro-ize the MCR would be pretty cool.

So happy you guys are doing this.

Please Please please make a kit with gas keys that have different size openings so that the gas system can be tuned, mine is so overgassed it literally beats itself apart

Excited to see. You guys are one of my favourite retailers and I’m glad to see you expanding into other platforms.

Make something tailor-made to cover the pop tart slot. And like another user posted, a copy of the BCM short foregrips and also a copy of their Mod 0 pistol grip. Those both work great on the rifle.

I would definitely purchase a kit that comes with a drilled and tapped cover for the left side of the rifle, a tapped dust cover for the right side, similar to the BRN-180 and the original 180.

Maybe include some sort of jig that helps with the drilling and tapping for the home gunsmith :)

EDIT: something like this except the mounts are drilled and tapped to the upper

8iQjX7q.png

I would make parts that replace all the stuff that breaks. A buffer of some kind to keep the bolt from slamming against the rear of the reciever. A bolt handle that doesn't break. A cam that has a bearing so the reciver doesn't eat itself. proper bolts that don't break. An adjustable gas block for the piston system. If you had all these things then the guns might actually work.

Or better yet, just build a complete rifle that is of better quality. Even if it costs a bit more. That would be better than having to keep fixing the ones that are out there.

Last edited:
- Upper receivers that more closely resemble the AR18, maybe ones that don't get torn apart while cycling the action.

- 7.62x39 conversion kits. I know the WS MCR is available in 7.62x39 but I don't want to shell out 1000$ for another ”meh” quality upper, when all I'm looking for is a bolt, and a barrel.

- Adjustable gas block.... Something similar to the one in the superlative arms piston kit. Or just import those kits. A carbine length one could maybe work with the WK carbine length gas system. (This may also provide the superior piston people are looking for.) feel free to chime in and tell me why this won't work.

- cool upswept style charging handle like the old ones.

- A quadrail that works with a piston system. I think midwest industries had a quadrail for the 180b. As much as they are not super in vogue, the blocky look of the 180 looks good with a blocky quad rail.

- (This is a stretch) An upper receiver that looks like the upper on a Stoner 63. Imo the most formidable looking rifle. The handguard charging handle and the look of the rear sight and the FSB/GB is something that I don't see in anything else available in any kind of reasonable supply. RA expeditionary rifle is like hens teeth and even when they do release them again... Who knows when/if they will actually, be available as lots of people have been waiting 20 years to get one.

- defs a 45-degree safety.

- A wand that when you wave it over the gun it transports you back to April.... when you were blissfully shooting your AR or preferred OIC-affected firearm of your choosing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom