Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: laws of walking out of store with new gun

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I've walked out of a store several times in the past 10 years or so with a rifle not in a case or box, no issues. Somewhere in that time frame my brother and I had both bought old shotguns at the Kamloops gun show and walked through the sports fields with our new purchases to get to where we had parked, and the only comment was from an old guy about how someone was finally going to do something about the damn geese. I'd say it really depends where you live, but it's good for people to see a gun once in a while.
    Kristian

A few years ago in a small rural Ontario town a younger man was walking into town with a gun case. Somebody called the cops and the OPP locked down the schools and did a full sweep of the town. Apparently the kid was just out to go shoot some birds. A teacher at the elementary told me a tac'd out officer was seen the halls with an AR. Sensitive society yep.
    "Never hunt with a cartridge younger than you are"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugdoc View Post
    You don't need a trigger lock for a non-restricted firearm.
    That's true. You don't need a case, you don't need a secure locking device, and you don't need a sling, either.

You do need to ensure that you never: point a firearm at anyone, or; handle, transport, or store a firearm carelessly, or; create a disturbance, or; possess a weapon dangerous to the public peace.
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

CGN frequent flyer
    TL;DR

I've carried a spare "gun sock" in case a non-restricted rifle tickled my fancy at a gun show and I wanted to cash and go...

It's necessary to monitor changes in gun control legislation. You never know what can be the trigger for police officers. I can say that there is a lot of strange laws concerning this field, I've read https://studymoose.com/gun-control with the content on it, and there is a lot of interesting thoughts. I think that our government must improve this part of the legislation. In any case, we can't make changes and should just follow the rules.
    Last edited by KevinMcGreen; 04-30-2021 at 09:08 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bigbubba's Avatar
    Bottom line, be half way intelligent about it and be prepared.

Bring or buy a case, bring or buy a trigger lock if you are so inclined.

Ask the store to wrap the box in brown paper...as if they were shipping it

Keep a blanket on your back seat....it's not rocket science

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ashcroft View Post
    I really don't know why so many people are so paranoid that someone will see them with a gun. If you have taken the Canadian Firearms Course transport of a firearm should have been thoroughly covered. If you haven't taken the course yet then you have no PAL so it doesn't matter, you won't be walking out of any store with a gun. Basically there is no federal law or restriction of legally possessed firearms in public other than it must be unloaded. Don't point it, don't wave it around, don't be an idiot. Depending on where you live there may however be provincial or municipal statutes or bylaws that come into play here, it is your responsibility to be in compliance but any business that sells guns will have all the answers for you, they deal with this every day.
    I haven't taken the course, and I have a PAL. I used to have an FAC, lol.

If only there was a website that listed the laws in Canada.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
    Hello,

Probably a stupid question... but here goes.

If I purchase a rifle in a gun store, what are the laws for walking out of the store with the gun into the public ? For example, what if my car is parked 5 blocks away?
    Does the gun have to be out of public sight (in a bag so people outdoors on sidewalk and street don't know ?).
    Does it have to have a trigger lock of some sort ?

I'm thinking of a scenerio where someone buys a gun but forgot to bring a trigger lock with them. Can they simply walk from the store to their vehicle with the rifle in plain sight ?

Thanks
    Damn.... man.....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    Damn.... man.....
    That sums it up... Lol. And yes that was a stoopid question. The OP should take a PAL course ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast