Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do i need to get setup, complete beginner waiting for his PAL

What do i need to get setup, complete beginner waiting for his PAL

Hi folks,

Im new to the sport and just wondering since i sent my PAL on dec 16th, i got a while to wait. i havent found a thread yet, but what would one need to get setup for success for learning, proper care/cleaning, storage, were and what to buy (id like to support local).

Asking for suggestions to answer things like, do i really need a 'best' gun vice? or can i be okay with regular tipton gun vice? a mat? a multi cleaning kit? do i use CLP or solvent? Which ones do i get?

Should i contact and visit some of the local ranges to see what they offer? Im in the lower mainland BC and hearing lots of waitlists happening right now. I havent seen any much of updated info for crownland spots.

I inherited a 18gun safe for storage. So im covered there.

Any books i should get to learn? how to mount a scope? how to dial it in with the rifle?

I havent looked much into hunting, but work with alot of them, ive been invited out so im curious what the process is to obtain a hunting license but also the process IF i do say get a deer, whats the next step?

If it helps, of course i want a SKS lol

Youtube has been great for learning how to clean and reviews. Just wondering if anyone has a rough idea what has helped them get started (:

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Far North's Avatar
    Get yourself a .22, eye and ear protection, and a cheap cleaning kit. Go out and practice.
    CSSA CCFR
    Canadian gun laws brought to you by government sponsored ignorance and fear mongering

Shot about 10,000 rounds of .22 and then decide what you want.

Putting your first 2000 rounds in on an sks is a waste of.money.
    Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary- Angry Santa

CGN Regular
    Last edited by time4t; 01-15-2021 at 05:27 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    You don't need a gun vise, but they can be handy. To be honest, if I were you, knowing what I know now, I would just start small and move slowly from there. When I first got into firearms, I acquired a lot of stuff impulsively and ended up feeling almost overwhelmed. Don't think too much, just start slow and move forward naturally.

So my advice, decide what you want for your first firearm and then go from there based on needs. I recommend a .22lr rifle based solely on the cost factor alone. Anyway, so once you got your rifle selected, what else do you need? Well, you need somewhere to store it (which you got covered) and some way to clean it. So you need cleaning products. You won't find a "right" answer on which products are best, mostly just personal preference past a certain point. Just do some online research of your own to decide what fits your needs (reviews are always helpful).

As I said, most things are just personal preference. Do you want a cleaning mat to keep your surfaces tidy? Personally, on my work desk, I don't care. Do you want a gun vise to help give you an extra hand to hold the gun when cleaning or doing other things? Personally, I prefer to work on my firearms with as little extra help as possible, so that if the circumstances arise where I absolutely need to be able to (SHTF scenario), I could do it on autopilot.

As for the ranges and crown land, good luck finding a suitable spot in the Lower Mainland; most folk aren't willing to share theirs. You are pretty much forced to use a range unless you're willing to make the journey past the shooting restrictions (better to get on a waitlist now then later) East Harrison Lake is where I hear most folk go now. If you do go there, do everyone in the firearms community a favour and clean up some of garbage the inconsiderate ones leave behind, else the end result will be more closures like we saw a few years back.
    Last edited by btabin; 12-30-2020 at 03:25 AM.
    I suck at responding to PMs. Don't take it personally.

As others have said get a 22 and some ammo and a place to shoot. Learn to shoot properly. Maybe a cleaning kit, sandbag to rest the gun for shooting. I made a rest from an old butterfly jack.

Most other information can be found online with google.

If you get a deer next step is cleaning it then getting it out of the woods and then butchering it, lot's of videos on how to do it.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta) Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

Quote Originally Posted by Far North View Post
    Get yourself a .22, eye and ear protection, and a cheap cleaning kit. Go out and practice.
    Thank you for your reply (: Im looking at a CZ457 .22 for first rifle (:

Quote Originally Posted by time4t View Post
    Welcome to the sport. Having formally trained many new shooters- a couple of suggestions. Disregard anyone who says that you should start with a centerfire, and the sks for a rookie will only teach you poor habits from the onset. A decent quality bolt action 22 rimfire is arguably the best starting point. Buy a couple of benchrest sandbags, a modest cleaning kit and decent eye and ear protection. As you live in the LML, visit a couple of reputable shops like reliable or wanstalls and chat up the fellows who will help to steer you in the right direction. Try a few rifles for fit, check for your dominant eye, then look up some internet shooting basics tutorials that will outline the basics and give you a sense of the routine. Take small steps, focus on safety, and have fun....regards t4t
    Thank you for your reply! i live closest to wanstalls and pocomilitary. ill be sure to go check them out!

Quote Originally Posted by btabin View Post
    You don't need a gun vise, but they can be handy. To be honest, if I were you, knowing what I know now, I would just start small and move slowly from there. When I first got into firearms, I acquired a lot of stuff impulsively and ended up feeling almost overwhelmed. Don't think too much, just start slow and move forward naturally.

So my advice, decide what you want for your first firearm and then go from there based on needs. I recommend a .22lr rifle based solely on the cost factor alone. Anyway, so once you got your rifle selected, what else do you need? Well, you need somewhere to store it (which you got covered) and some way to clean it. So you need cleaning products. You won't find a "right" answer on which products are best, mostly just personal preference past a certain point. Just do some online research of your own to decide what fits your needs (reviews are always helpful).

As I said, most things are just personal preference. Do you want a cleaning mat to keep your surfaces tidy? Personally, on my work desk, I don't care. Do you want a gun vise to help give you an extra hand to hold the gun when cleaning or doing other things? Personally, I prefer to work on my firearms with as little extra help as possible, so that if the circumstances arise where I absolutely need to be able to (SHTF scenario), I could do it on autopilot.

As for the ranges and crown land, good luck finding a suitable spot in the Lower Mainland; most folk aren't willing to share theirs. You are pretty much forced to use a range unless you're willing to make the journey past the shooting restrictions (better to get on a waitlist now then later) East Harrison Lake is where I hear most folk go now. If you do go there, do everyone in the firearms community a favour and clean up some of garbage the inconsiderate ones leave behind, else the end result will be more closures like we saw a few years back.
    Thanks for your reply, very helpful! Ill be sure to bring extra garbage bags if i get the opportunity!

cz457 would be an excellent rifle that you wouldnt ever feel the need to move on from.
    Get a cheap cleaning kit that's for multiple calibers and as the plastic pieces break, replace them with brass, most are fine being plastic.
    I have a few gun vices etc but still use simple cleaning mats like a tekmat 90% of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast