View Poll Results: What Model Do You Want To See?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Model 5647

18 15.13%
  • Model 5648

5 4.20%
  • Model 5649

13 10.92%
  • Model 5650

2 1.68%
  • Model 5651

7 5.88%
  • Model 5653

8 6.72%
  • Model 5654

0 0%
  • Model 5655

13 10.92%
  • Model 5659

29 24.37%
  • Model 5660

24 20.17%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Savage Impulse Rifles, What calibers do you want to see?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer hawk-i's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimbo View Post
    What’s the twist rate on the 243 and 22-250?
    9.25 and 12 respectively

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    I dont understand why they're so heavy. If they're using an aluminum receiver I'd think it would lighten the gun, not make it heavier, so where the hell is all this weight coming from? A Savage 110 hunter is listed at 7.25lbs, so this is 1.5lbs heavier than that.

https://revivaler.com/heym-sr30-straight-pull-rifle/

This says the SR30 is under 7lbs in its lighter configurations, which means straight pulls aren't inherently heavy. I can't help but think the 8.8lbs listed by Savage must be a mistake...
    Barrel extension, more parts in the bolt, and integrated rail

Plus heavy contour barrel

Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    The expanding ball bearing lockup into an aluminum receiver, seems like a problem waiting to happen? Iam sure some engineering went into the design, but I have to wonder if these are going to stand up especially in high pressure chamberings.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4p4Aj-pbLY

Sooo... The Ross rifle is resurrected

Curious how close it is.

I'd like to see it in a magpul stock

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    Barrel extension, more parts in the bolt, and integrated rail

Plus heavy contour barrel
    The 110 Hog Hunter is listed at 7.3lbs with a 20" medium contour barrel. (https://savagearms.com/content?p=fir...ummary&s=57018)

The Impulse Hunter is listed at 8.8lbs with a 22" medium contour barrel. (https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57647)

From what I can gather from some quick googling, an inch of barrel only weighs a few onces (24" 300winmag is only 0.1lbs heavier than a 22" 308win according to Savage's website). Call it half a pound for the different barrel lengths, that should account for any slight differences in contour as well (unless Savage has greatly changed what "medium contour" means to them), and you're still looking at a full pound difference. If the receiver is lighter (aluminum is lighter than steel after all) then the barrel extension and bolt amount to a full pound of extra weight PLUS whatever the weight savings are from using aluminum for the receiver. That seems like a LOT of extra weight for those two relatively small pieces?
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    The 110 Hog Hunter is listed at 7.3lbs with a 20" medium contour barrel. (https://savagearms.com/content?p=fir...ummary&s=57018)

The Impulse Hunter is listed at 8.8lbs with a 22" medium contour barrel. (https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57647)

From what I can gather from some quick googling, an inch of barrel only weighs a few onces (24" 300winmag is only 0.1lbs heavier than a 22" 308win according to Savage's website). Call it half a pound for the different barrel lengths, that should account for any slight differences in contour as well (unless Savage has greatly changed what "medium contour" means to them), and you're still looking at a full pound difference. If the receiver is lighter (aluminum is lighter than steel after all) then the barrel extension and bolt amount to a full pound of extra weight PLUS whatever the weight savings are from using aluminum for the receiver. That seems like a LOT of extra weight for those two relatively small pieces?
    That 110 has just a plastic stock and the Impulse has an accustock. The accustock is quite heavy for what it is. There was essentially no weight difference between the accustock on my 110 tactical and the MDT LSS-XL that replaced it. IIRC, my 110 tactical is listed around 8.8lbs with a fluted 24" barrel. That's probably a more fair comparison, and weighs about the same as the new rifles. Seems to me like the weight savings from aluminum receiver are roughly cancelled out by the barrel extension and extra bolt parts

Unless I'm on a driven boar hunt, I want none of those 8.8lb rifles. Unless I have a gunbearer.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin g View Post
    Verrrry very Interesting to say the least, personally, I'd sooner have the 6.5 Swede than the Creedmore..., that's me .
    I would too

Am I the only one who thinks the new savage rifles are ugly as sin?
    "People who have never owned or used one claim that the Remington pump guns are not as accurate as their bolt guns.

And the people who own and shoot them just chuckle at those statements."