Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Maple Ridge Maverick Presale,

Quote Originally Posted by adriel View Post
    Looking forward to your review on this.

Looks nice Adriel.
    What did you use to torque the barrel? I was told by MRA that an ar10 torque rod wouldn't work and my Odin handguard uses a pin that you insert into the gas tube hole in the upper to help hold things in place while you torque. I might have to get creative.
    Any insight is appreciated.

Just finished my Renegade, mostly to plink with. If I end up really liking it, will definitely consider picking up a Maverick for hunting.
    Attachment 485778
    Cheers,

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by scourge18a View Post
    Looks nice Adriel.
    What did you use to torque the barrel? I was told by MRA that an ar10 torque rod wouldn't work and my Odin handguard uses a pin that you insert into the gas tube hole in the upper to help hold things in place while you torque. I might have to get creative.
    Any insight is appreciated.
    The best way is to purchase a Maverick Torque Barrel tool.I don't know if a AR10 vice block will work. I know that a AR15 vice block will not work on the renegade.

I’m curious why a standard ar10 torque rod wouldn’t work? Did they tell you why?

Quote Originally Posted by gcoy19 View Post
    I’m curious why a standard ar10 torque rod wouldn’t work? Did they tell you why?
    No, I assume a smaller diameter bolt carrier but I'm not sure. Was hoping someone with one can let us all know.
    I also asked if my Ar15 barrel extension tool would work and I was told no, with no reason given. Yesterday I tried the AR15 rod and it does fit into the AR10 barrel extension, but not securely and only has about 1" on the other end for a vice.

TNA, sorry I don't mean to muck up your thread, but want to make sure everyone has the tools they need to do the install. Basically everyone buying the reciever set will be assembling their rifle themselves.

MRA website says "We recommend using our MRA Maverick Barrel Torque Rod when assembling or performing work on the Maverick."
    It does not say that other rods won't work, doesn't say that theirs is required....

Responses I received from MRA
    "The receiver and carrier are proprietary and not compatible with an AR10 thus the AR10 rod will not work."
    "You don't need the rod but it makes it easier to assemble and less risk of damaging the receiver. There are many customers who have found other ways to hold the Renegade. Check out the FB group MRA Renegade Owners group."
    "Similar approaches will work....or spend the $90 for a tool to make the job easier and less risk to your expensive rifle"
    Last edited by scourge18a; 04-16-2021 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge18a View Post
    No, I assume a smaller diameter bolt carrier but I'm not sure. Was hoping someone with one can let us all know.
    I also asked if my Ar15 barrel extension tool would work and I was told no, with no reason given. Yesterday I tried the AR15 rod and it does fit into the AR10 barrel extension, but not securely and only has about 1" on the other end for a vice.

TNA, sorry I don't mean to muck up your thread, but want to make sure everyone has the tools they need to do the install. Basically everyone buying the reciever set will be assembling their rifle themselves.

MRA website says "We recommend using our MRA Maverick Barrel Torque Rod when assembling or performing work on the Maverick."
    It does not say that other rods won't work, doesn't say that theirs is required....

Responses I received from MRA
    "The receiver and carrier are proprietary and not compatible with an AR10 thus the AR10 rod will not work."
    "You don't need the rod but it makes it easier to assemble and less risk of damaging the receiver. There are many customers who have found other ways to hold the Renegade. Check out the FB group MRA Renegade Owners group."
    "Similar approaches will work....or spend the $90 for a tool to make the job easier and less risk to your expensive rifle"

All I got was thia

If you have metal lathe and a AR10 Torque rod you can machine it down to fit in the maverick receiver. The barrel extensions are the same.

Thanks, I know the extension is the same for the Maverick and an AR10 as the barrel itself is the same.
    I don't have a lathe and I suspect that is the norm.
    Just looking for either clear communication from MRA as to what is required or ideas from others as to how they installed. I'll probably just order their rod as other methods are a little Bubba.

TNA, do you have the MRA Maverick reaction rods? Or are they expected to come with the reciever sets?

Business Member True North Arms Corp's Avatar
    yes we are getting a few maverick reaction rods they will be coming in with the receivers.

MRA tells us that they shipped our order today thus we should ship out your orders Wednesday April 21
    True North Arms Corp.
    Website truenortharms.com
    Email info@truenortharms.com
    Instagram truenortharms

Armalite manufactured AR-10's, including the "(T)", and SuperSASS (Semi-Automatic Sniper System), will NOT WORK with the MRA Maverick Kit for the following reason:

The Armalite Barrel Nut Thread Pattern is different from the one used on the MRA Maverick Upper Receiver.

MRA based their .308Win./7.62mm "Maverick" Receiver on the DPMS manufactured Upper Receiver...

DPMS, Knight's Armament (KAC SR-25), and the MRA Maverick Kit, use a 1-7/16"x16 TPI (threads per inch),

Armalite and Noveske use a 1-7/16"x18 TPI for their Barrel Nuts.

Based on the AR-10 Barrel Nut drawing shown below, and having an actual AR-10 Barrel Nut as the "control" pattern, I was able to have a master machinist friend of mine make an exact copy of the Armalite AR-10 Barrel Nut, but with the MRA Maverick/DPMS 1-7/16"x16 TPI. Because of the intricacy of the nut's multiple hole and thread patterns, it took him 5 hours to reproduce.

The end result, I was able to assemble my Armalite AR-10 SuperSASS on the Maverick Kit.

The bonus for converting an Armalite AR-10 to the MRA Maverick Kit is that you can now use the more common DPMS, Knight's Armament, Lancer, MagPul PMAG, and Larue .308Win magazines, as opposed to the proprietary AR-10 modified M-14 style magazines - which WILL NOT work with the MRA Maverick system.

With Federal 168gr BTHP Match, it will group 1" - 1-1/4" at 100yds.

Pics of the assembled Maverick "AR-10 SuperSASS" are below.

Name:  Maverick AR-10(T)IMG_5912.jpeg
Views: 378
Size:  71.3 KB
    Name:  Maverick AR-10(T)IMG_5923.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  122.5 KB
    Name:  MRA Maverick KAC SR-25 BuildImage 2021-03-24 at 04.45.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  71.3 KB
    Last edited by mtrpdw; 04-17-2021 at 12:18 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast