Single Shot Henry in 223

Nibe

Regular
Thinking of buying but remember something about a recall. Input and thoughts on this gun in 223 if I can find one? Brass or steel?

cheers
nibe

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/

H015-Single-Shot-Rifles-Hero2021.jpg

Attachments

• H015-Single-Shot-Rifles-Hero2021.jpg
    H015-Single-Shot-Rifles-Hero2021.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 2,987
Last edited:
Henry Long Rangers are lever action box magazine repeaters, not single shot rifles.

I used to have one in .223, was hoping it would make a decent plinker just using the sights, but the sights are effectively useless at ranges beyond 25 feet, would only get if you intend to mount an optic or some form of aftermarket sights to it.

Buyer Beware. I purchased one last year with a terrible trigger. When sent it in for a warranty replacement I experienced nothing but garbage from the warranty depot, grech outdoors. The eventual replacement 2nd rifle that I got was just as bad. A few months later, there was a recall. Multiple previous threads about issues in dealing with the warranty depot.

Based on who their warranty support alone I wouldn't want to buy one. Grech is an absolute nightmare to deal with and incredibly arrogant/unprofessional. Just check out their Google reviews.

Buyer Beware. I purchased one last year with a terrible trigger. When sent it in for a warranty replacement I experienced nothing but garbage from the warranty depot, grech outdoors. The eventual replacement 2nd rifle that I got was just as bad. A few months later, there was a recall. Multiple previous threads about issues in dealing with the warranty depot.

Grech are awful. I had a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 awhile back, stock formed a crack after 50 or so rounds, and at the time they were the only ones doing warranty work for CZ. I called initially and they told me to just send in a photo of the crack in the stock and some other information like the guns serial number and all that, and they would just mail me a new stock, so I emailed them all the info they asked for, filled out their little warranty form, etc. A week goes by and I hadn't heard anything, so I call again and they tell me now that I have to send the whole gun in, so I waited a week for nothing. I read the reviews on Google of people receiving their guns after warranty servicing in worse condition or just not repaired at all after it sits there for the better part of a year, so I ended up taking it to my LGS and got them to mend it, which didn't hold, so I just said screw it and sold the gun at a loss on here.

I have one in 45-70 and I really like it. The only problem is that it has the recall on it and as others have said the warranty is handled by Gretch. I wish I had checked into that before I bought it. If I had known I wouldn't have bought it. I will be leaving it in the safe or finding another gunsmith and paying to fix it. There is no way I'm sending it to Gretch.

I had one in 223 but I liked it so much that I purchased the 308 version to replace it. It’s a very fun plinking gun (and very cheap ammo in 223). Also great for teaching new shooters because it has very low recoil and a simple break action.

I also had a terrible experience when dealing with the recall from gretch but once it was all dealt with its still a great gun. Henry customer service is one of the best in the business I have dealt with, it’s just a shame they trust gretch for their work in Canada. If you can find a recently manufactured one or a used one that already has the recall work done, I’d go for it.

P.S. The trigger on mine is great, and I have a scope mounted on my 308 now.

I had one in 223 but I liked it so much that I purchased the 308 version to replace it. It’s a very fun plinking gun (and very cheap ammo in 223). Also great for teaching new shooters because it has very low recoil and a simple break action.

I also had a terrible experience when dealing with the recall from gretch but once it was all dealt with its still a great gun. Henry customer service is one of the best in the business I have dealt with, it’s just a shame they trust gretch for their work in Canada. If you can find a recently manufactured one or a used one that already has the recall work done, I’d go for it.

P.S. The trigger on mine is great, and I have a scope mounted on my 308 now.

Thx if I decide to buy one I'll avoid the recall if possible. So you've got the blued steel receiver. I see the magnums and the 45/70 are polished brass.

I just don't see why i would buy a single shot, when the ruger american rifle has an msrp that's practically the same. Plus the ruger has a rail for a scope or optic and a threaded muzzle.

A few years ago when you could get an H&R single shot for 250 to 350. Sure that made sense

I have one, in 243win. Got mine on sale for about $450. I bought mine for a few reasons, one of which is a rifle for my kids to learn on. Being a single shot with no external safety and an opening lever that goes to either side to open its fully ambidextrous, and I thought it would be a perfect choice for my kids because one is left eye dominant while the others are not, and single shots are inherently simple to operate and easy to prove safe. (It was supposed to be a youth model, but it isn't, which pissed me off. Hopefully once Covid is done I'll be able to source a Youth size buttstock for it.)

That said, Covid put a big damper on my shooting this past year, so I haven't even used the thing. And now I learn there is a recall! Bah! For those that have done the recall through Gretch, did you notice any difference in the trigger pull when you got it back? I just looked it up, and apparently Henry is upgrading the trigger as part of the recall? I'm wondering if anyone can confirm/deny whether Gretch is also upgrading the trigger? (source: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ingle-shot-rifles-and-shotguns-301103452.html)

I have one, in 243win. Got mine on sale for about $450. I bought mine for a few reasons, one of which is a rifle for my kids to learn on. Being a single shot with no external safety and an opening lever that goes to either side to open its fully ambidextrous, and I thought it would be a perfect choice for my kids because one is left eye dominant while the others are not, and single shots are inherently simple to operate and easy to prove safe. (It was supposed to be a youth model, but it isn't, which pissed me off. Hopefully once Covid is done I'll be able to source a Youth size buttstock for it.)

That said, Covid put a big damper on my shooting this past year, so I haven't even used the thing. And now I learn there is a recall! Bah! For those that have done the recall through Gretch, did you notice any difference in the trigger pull when you got it back? I just looked it up, and apparently Henry is upgrading the trigger as part of the recall? I'm wondering if anyone can confirm/deny whether Gretch is also upgrading the trigger? (source: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ingle-shot-rifles-and-shotguns-301103452.html)

I received my single shot 20 gauge shotgun back and for a shotgun it has an excellent trigger... I typically shoot CZ rifle set triggers so I am spoiled a bit. It was gone for about 3 weeks before I got it back. No complaints

I got it in .308, trigger is great, open sites work good, hits everything I point it at. Haven't bothered with the recall.

I just don't see why i would buy a single shot, when the ruger american rifle has an msrp that's practically the same. Plus the ruger has a rail for a scope or optic and a threaded muzzle.

A few years ago when you could get an H&R single shot for 250 to 350. Sure that made sense

As a kid I grew up using my great grandfathers cooey or grampys H&R 12ga.
I have owned a few of the h&r rifles. Just a fun one to handle....

Back
Top Bottom