Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning or polishing the brass receiver

Cleaning or polishing the brass receiver

Opened the box for my new Henry 38-55 and noticed some blemishes around the screw heads, kinda look like watermarks. Is this normal and expected? If not, what should I use to bring the brass back to pristine? Searched the manuals and online but get varying suggestions.

Name:  nxfD2ZClTLuu1zuwNCHGEA.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  83.2 KB
    Rust Never Sleeps

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone ranger's Avatar
    I have always used jewellers rouge polish. its gentle on the finish. Wenol paste
    Last edited by lone ranger; 01-22-2021 at 07:42 PM.
    A victimless crime is a term used to refer to actions that have been ruled illegal but which are argued not to directly violate or threaten the rights of any other individual.

Quote Originally Posted by lone ranger View Post
    I have always used jewellers rouge polish. its gentle on the finish.
    Any idea what those blemishes are? Gun is BNIB. I found a Henry factory suggestion for polishing the brass from 2015 and they suggested Nevr-Dull but hesitate to use it until I do more research.

Name:  nevr-dull.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  12.3 KB
    Rust Never Sleeps

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone ranger's Avatar
    the wife was a jeweler and this is what they used on gold and brass

A victimless crime is a term used to refer to actions that have been ruled illegal but which are argued not to directly violate or threaten the rights of any other individual.

Quote Originally Posted by lone ranger View Post
    the wife was a jeweler and this is what they used on gold and brass

Thanks. Can I call your wife and ask her what she thinks those blemishes are?

j/k
    Rust Never Sleeps

BANNED
    This is what was recommended to me for my 1866 Yellow Boy

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    It just looks like oil seeping out from the screws. All those parts are oiled before assembly. Disclaimer, I have never tried this but perhaps test an inconspicuous area with alcohol or windex to see if it damages the brass. You might have to remove the screws and degrease them. Or, handle the crap out of it and give it a nice patina. Thats what I did on my yellow boy. Looks way more authentic.

Try toothpaste...

Works great on silver, gold, and brass...not abrasive as you would think, as your teeth's protective coatings would be worn away to nothing by now.

PDW

Quote Originally Posted by MustangFrank View Post
    It just looks like oil seeping out from the screws. All those parts are oiled before assembly.
    Yes, that's what I thought as well. In terms of eliminating those spots, just use one of the recommended products in this thread? A damp clean soft cloth didn't work.
    Rust Never Sleeps

I have a couple brass Henry's and have used Brasso and also tooth past (there are many light abrasive pasts you can buy from a auto place for polishing and cut polishing paint), brass blems and scratched very easy and quickly but is easy to bring back, I acctualy used cold blue on my big boy becuse I hunt with it (wanted the steel version at the time but non to be had) its essy enought to buff out also if I every decide to go back to the brass look.
    My 38-55 had the same oil weepage around the screws also, cleanded up very easy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast