Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Shot Henry in 223

I had one in 223 but I liked it so much that I purchased the 308 version to replace it. It’s a very fun plinking gun (and very cheap ammo in 223). Also great for teaching new shooters because it has very low recoil and a simple break action.

I also had a terrible experience when dealing with the recall from gretch but once it was all dealt with its still a great gun. Henry customer service is one of the best in the business I have dealt with, it’s just a shame they trust gretch for their work in Canada. If you can find a recently manufactured one or a used one that already has the recall work done, I’d go for it.

P.S. The trigger on mine is great, and I have a scope mounted on my 308 now.

Quote Originally Posted by fraser16 View Post
    I had one in 223 but I liked it so much that I purchased the 308 version to replace it. It’s a very fun plinking gun (and very cheap ammo in 223). Also great for teaching new shooters because it has very low recoil and a simple break action.

I also had a terrible experience when dealing with the recall from gretch but once it was all dealt with its still a great gun. Henry customer service is one of the best in the business I have dealt with, it’s just a shame they trust gretch for their work in Canada. If you can find a recently manufactured one or a used one that already has the recall work done, I’d go for it.

P.S. The trigger on mine is great, and I have a scope mounted on my 308 now.
    Thx if I decide to buy one I'll avoid the recall if possible. So you've got the blued steel receiver. I see the magnums and the 45/70 are polished brass.
    Rust Never Sleeps

Quote Originally Posted by Nibe View Post
    Thx if I decide to buy one I'll avoid the recall if possible. So you've got the blued steel receiver. I see the magnums and the 45/70 are polished brass.
    My 45-70 is blued steel.

I just don't see why i would buy a single shot, when the ruger american rifle has an msrp that's practically the same. Plus the ruger has a rail for a scope or optic and a threaded muzzle.

A few years ago when you could get an H&R single shot for 250 to 350. Sure that made sense

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Not everyone wants a single shot due to budget constraints....
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    I have one, in 243win. Got mine on sale for about $450. I bought mine for a few reasons, one of which is a rifle for my kids to learn on. Being a single shot with no external safety and an opening lever that goes to either side to open its fully ambidextrous, and I thought it would be a perfect choice for my kids because one is left eye dominant while the others are not, and single shots are inherently simple to operate and easy to prove safe. (It was supposed to be a youth model, but it isn't, which pissed me off. Hopefully once Covid is done I'll be able to source a Youth size buttstock for it.)

That said, Covid put a big damper on my shooting this past year, so I haven't even used the thing. And now I learn there is a recall! Bah! For those that have done the recall through Gretch, did you notice any difference in the trigger pull when you got it back? I just looked it up, and apparently Henry is upgrading the trigger as part of the recall? I'm wondering if anyone can confirm/deny whether Gretch is also upgrading the trigger? (source: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301103452.html)
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    I have one, in 243win. Got mine on sale for about $450. I bought mine for a few reasons, one of which is a rifle for my kids to learn on. Being a single shot with no external safety and an opening lever that goes to either side to open its fully ambidextrous, and I thought it would be a perfect choice for my kids because one is left eye dominant while the others are not, and single shots are inherently simple to operate and easy to prove safe. (It was supposed to be a youth model, but it isn't, which pissed me off. Hopefully once Covid is done I'll be able to source a Youth size buttstock for it.)

That said, Covid put a big damper on my shooting this past year, so I haven't even used the thing. And now I learn there is a recall! Bah! For those that have done the recall through Gretch, did you notice any difference in the trigger pull when you got it back? I just looked it up, and apparently Henry is upgrading the trigger as part of the recall? I'm wondering if anyone can confirm/deny whether Gretch is also upgrading the trigger? (source: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301103452.html)

I received my single shot 20 gauge shotgun back and for a shotgun it has an excellent trigger... I typically shoot CZ rifle set triggers so I am spoiled a bit. It was gone for about 3 weeks before I got it back. No complaints

CGN Regular
    I got it in .308, trigger is great, open sites work good, hits everything I point it at. Haven't bothered with the recall.

Quote Originally Posted by floriosean1 View Post
    I just don't see why i would buy a single shot, when the ruger american rifle has an msrp that's practically the same. Plus the ruger has a rail for a scope or optic and a threaded muzzle.

A few years ago when you could get an H&R single shot for 250 to 350. Sure that made sense
    As a kid I grew up using my great grandfathers cooey or grampys H&R 12ga.
    I have owned a few of the h&r rifles. Just a fun one to handle....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Does one have to pay for the shipping to and/or from Gretch for the recall?
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast