Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rossi R92 Triple Black Lever Action

Any chance is is offered in 45lc

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmedcin View Post
    $1167 for a Rossi? Wow that's Henry and chiappa territory!
    I thought I read recently that they have upped their quality and quality control. If that's the case it's not the old Rossi's you are thinking of that sold for $500-$600 10-15 years ago.

If they are going to modernize it though, and sell it for $1200, why not come up with a mid sized loop and a synthetic stock and recoil pad instead of just painting some ugly wood and using the old style crescent metal butt plate?

It's like they got half way there and then cheaped out.
    Last edited by Can-down; 01-23-2021 at 03:18 AM.
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    I thought I read recently that they have upped their quality and quality control. If that's the case it's not the old Rossi's you are thinking of that sold for $500-$600 10-15 years ago.

If they are going to modernize it though, and sell it for $1200, why not come up with a mid sized loop and a synthetic stock and recoil pad instead of just painting some ugly wood and using the old style crescent metal butt plate?

Since when is wood over synthetic cheaping out?

Looks an awful lot like the Marlin Dark series aesthetically...

They're a lot cheaper than the Ridge Runner Chiappa though, that thing is listed at just shy of $2k on another sponsors site!
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post

I’ve read Rossi had a reputation for using cheap wood. Not sure if that’s still true.
    Rust Never Sleeps

Quote Originally Posted by Nibe View Post
    I’ve read Rossi had a reputation for using cheap wood. Not sure if that’s still true.
    Considering its painted black I wouldn't be at all surprised - not expecting some nice walnut under there. But I've always assumed even cheap wood is an upgrade from synthetic to most people? (not counting high end synthetic like Manners, I'm talking cheap injection molded plastic like every budget rifle has these days)
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Rossi is considerably better than 15 years ago, I own one from 2018, also have a chiappa,marlin and a couple Henry's.
    A Rossi is still a Rossi, not in the league of the others including marlin of the "same model equivalent" (which is pistol caliber levers)for fit finnish and smoothness, Rossi is a good lever though for the more basic and entry level price they have always been intended.. Although all lever makes are getting to be stupid prices in the last year.

They're a lot cheaper than the Ridge Runner Chiappa though, that thing is listed at just shy of $2k on another sponsors site!
    Since developing a well made synthetic stock is more expensive then painted low grade wood..... do you think it's high grade walnut underneath the bed liner spray job?

Yes, Marlin is doing the same thing. Yes inflation sucks.

Chiappa is a strange company, they charge a premium and their products look good, but quality control and warranty/parts support is lacking.
    Last edited by Can-down; 01-23-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmedcin View Post
    Rossi is considerably better than 15 years ago, I own one from 2018, also have a chiappa,marlin and a couple Henry's.
    A Rossi is still a Rossi, not in the league of the others including marlin of the "same model equivalent" (which is pistol caliber levers)for fit finnish and smoothness, Rossi is a good lever though for the more basic and entry level price they have always been intended.. Although all lever makes are getting to be stupid prices in the last year.
    I like Rossi's in general, specially the older ones with out the bolt mounted safety. The rumour I heard was not about changes over the last 15 years, it was in the last year or so... something about a new facility or new tools or some other modernization of production.
    Last edited by Can-down; 01-23-2021 at 04:17 PM.

Considering its painted black I wouldn't be at all surprised - not expecting some nice walnut under there. But I've always assumed even cheap wood is an upgrade from synthetic to most people? (not counting high end synthetic like Manners, I'm talking cheap injection molded plastic like every budget rifle has these days)
    Sorry Suther, I missed this comment where you acknowledge that they are using cheap wood under the makeup and also that your comment on my comment assumed that I wanted cheap plastic on an expensive gun.

If they don't want to make their own synthetic stocks they should partner with a company like Hogue and do a nice overmold stock set with some m-locks up front seeing as it's a departure from a classic lever action look. That old school crescent butt plate looks great in brass on some nice walnut but I'd rather have a rubber butt pad. Not so much for recoil but more so the rifle can be rested on rubber and leaned against something to keep it from sliding out on a slippery surface and falling over.
    Last edited by Can-down; 01-23-2021 at 04:21 PM.

Sorry Suther, I missed this comment where you acknowledge that they are using cheap wood under the makeup and also that your comment on my comment assumed that I wanted cheap plastic on an expensive gun.

If they don't want to make their own synthetic stocks they should partner with a company like Hogue and do a nice overmold stock set with some m-locks up front seeing as it's a departure from a classic lever action look. That old school crescent butt plate looks great in brass on some nice walnut but I'd rather have a rubber butt pad. Not so much for recoil but more so the rifle can be rested on rubber and leaned against something to keep it from sliding out on a slippery surface and falling over.
    I didn't assume you'd want cheap plastic, although I did assume that's what you'd get for the price. I can't imagine a hogue stock set would drop the price and there's already people in this thread complaining about the price.

Rubber butt pad would be nice for the reason you give though. My gun room has linoleum and my 22s with plastic butt plates do like to try and fall over.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast