Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning or polishing the brass receiver

Also I used brake clean on all my firearms for cleaning oil and crud, it is fine on brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmedcin View Post
    I have a couple brass Henry's and have used Brasso and also tooth past (there are many light abrasive pasts you can buy from a auto place for polishing and cut polishing paint), brass blems and scratched very easy and quickly but is easy to bring back, I acctualy used cold blue on my big boy becuse I hunt with it (wanted the steel version at the time but non to be had) its essy enought to buff out also if I every decide to go back to the brass look.
    My 38-55 had the same oil weepage around the screws also, cleanded up very easy.
    Many thanks. Good to know others have had this issue and that it's not a defect that's tough to fix.
    Rust Never Sleeps

Nice rifle by the way, 38-55 is a great caliber and tack driver accurate! Ammo in Canada is their only draw back, limmited and expensive, I cast a 250gr bullet and hand load, can't justify the price of factory ammo and very weak loaded, at least the Winchester stuff, buffalo bore ammo different story but at $80 a box of 20, lol nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmedcin View Post
    Nice rifle by the way, 38-55 is a great caliber and tack driver accurate! Ammo in Canada is their only draw back, limmited and expensive, I cast a 250gr bullet and hand load, can't justify the price of factory ammo and very weak loaded, at least the Winchester stuff, buffalo bore ammo different story but at $80 a box of 20, lol nope.
    It may never leave the house. Some are plinkers and some are collectibles. Must admit though, it's killing me not to take this puppy to the range.
    Rust Never Sleeps

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    Autosol is a metal polish that Ive used over the years, it does a great job on a variety of metals.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibe View Post
    Any idea what those blemishes are? Gun is BNIB. I found a Henry factory suggestion for polishing the brass from 2015 and they suggested Nevr-Dull but hesitate to use it until I do more research.

Attachment 455412
    Have a can of this it seems to take care of most issues..

Any of the brass/silver metal polishes mentioned, should do the job, with about 5 seconds of light polishing on each spot - if it doesn't, it means the brass has been treated (coated) with a product - (some kind of "Clear-Coat") to keep the brass from oxydizing and going dull. If it has, the metal polish won't do anything, until you get under it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    The best stuff I have ever used for polishing brass was Peek. In the Navy we had Brasso which I found would move the dirt around making it hard to actually get a true polish, but Peek just removed it all easily and left a gleaming finish. Always loved when we would ‘acquire’ the bosns can for cleaning stations as it made it a lot quicker for us greasy stokers.

hey bud, looks like staining from storage grease or factory preservative...gun sitting on side in box for so long and it permeates out ....

Quote Originally Posted by Spotagwan View Post
    hey bud, looks like staining from storage grease or factory preservative...gun sitting on side in box for so long and it permeates out ....
    Makes sense. I did send an email to Henry JIC the spots don’t buff out.
    Rust Never Sleeps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast