Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning or polishing the brass receiver

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Never dull works great on brass.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangFrank View Post
    Or, handle the crap out of it and give it a nice patina. Thats what I did on my yellow boy. Looks way more authentic.

Dis es de wey
    You’re not completely useless, you can always serve as a bad example.

If Henry suggest nevrdull I would use that. It's relatively soft. From my experience polishing brass, those blemishes should be able to take off with a little bit of effort using Nevrdull. I fear abrasive polishes may make the shine look uneven so I would use a softer polish with less or no abraison like nevrdull. a note when rubbing the polish in and off use a fair amount of pressure, it'll bring the shine out a lot better. Learned this on highly shined silver the hardway as just rubbing it wasn't getting the job done and stripping the small amount of tarnish very well but applied pressure and shine came out within seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmedcin View Post
    I have a couple brass Henry's and have used Brasso and also tooth past (there are many light abrasive pasts you can buy from a auto place for polishing and cut polishing paint), brass blems and scratched very easy and quickly but is easy to bring back, I acctualy used cold blue on my big boy becuse I hunt with it (wanted the steel version at the time but non to be had) its essy enought to buff out also if I every decide to go back to the brass look.
    My 38-55 had the same oil weepage around the screws also, cleanded up very easy.
    What does cold blue on brass look like?
    "A gun is not a weapon, Marge, it's a tool. Like a butcher's knife or a harpoon, or...or an alligator."

CCFR/NFA Member

Quote Originally Posted by vultr View Post
    What does cold blue on brass look like?
    Turned it a nice black not high gloss or real deep black, but looks good. Will wear off after alot of use, but easy to touch up, if you want to go back to the original high shine brass, it don't take long to polish out.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    The brass might have a coating applied on top of it. Sometimes it's like a clear plastic coating or varnish. I'd try polishing on an inconspicuous area before going whole hog on the sides with an abrasive polish.

Do not use ammonia or windex on brass.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season_cracking

Peek is good stuff but is mildly abrasive so I would avoid getting it into any of the moving parts.
    https://media.nisbets.com/asset/en/m...sds%20y048.pdf

I still have most of a tube I bought at Canadian Tire years ago - it doesn’t take much.
    Attachment 455925

I found some pics of brass with a coating on it. These parts are from a 1980 Browning Mountain Rifle. I tried to polish the tarnish out and my most abrasive cream polish wouldn't do anything. On closer inspection, I found that it had a clear coating on it and looked like ass. I sanded it off with a very fine foam sanding block then polished with polish applied to a microfiber rag taped to the same foam block.
    Name:  20201119_103725.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  34.2 KB
    Name:  20201119_110811.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  41.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Chumlee Bumsnag View Post
    I found some pics of brass with a coating on it. These parts are from a 1980 Browning Mountain Rifle. I tried to polish the tarnish out and my most abrasive cream polish wouldn't do anything. On closer inspection, I found that it had a clear coating on it and looked like ass. I sanded it off with a very fine foam sanding block then polished with polish applied to a microfiber rag taped to the same foam block.
    Name:  20201119_103725.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  34.2 KB
    Name:  20201119_110811.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  41.5 KB
    That’s impressive!
    Rust Never Sleeps

That's a nice looking receiver on your rifle. Hopefully it doesn't have a coating on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast