Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cleaning or polishing the brass receiver

Flitz, been working for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmedcin View Post
    Turned it a nice black not high gloss or real deep black, but looks good. Will wear off after alot of use, but easy to touch up, if you want to go back to the original high shine brass, it don't take long to polish out.
    I would be super interested to see pictures (if possible). Might try it it in on one of my big boys.
    "A gun is not a weapon, Marge, it's a tool. Like a butcher's knife or a harpoon, or...or an alligator."

CCFR/NFA Member

Remember that a polish is abrasive. Any paste will get stuck in the cracks and crevices and be hard to remove.
    I use a jewelers cloth - Sunshine cloths - for polishing as it just removes tarnish and not much more (https://www.amazon.ca/Sunshine-Polis.../dp/B004ILV1B4) .
    The marks look like oil - try wiping with a soft cloth.

Thanks everyone. Came up beautifully and perfectly with Nevr-Dull.
    Rust Never Sleeps

I've had great results with AUTOSOL

Developed in 1929 for the German auto industry, this metal polish is effective on a wide range of materials including steel, stainless steel, brass, chrome and copper (not recommended for silver or anodized aluminum). Applied with a soft cloth and wiped away, it uses a fast-acting chemical reaction to remove rust and tarnish, leaving an invisible film that inhibits oxidation for months.

75ml tube. A little goes a long way.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...E&item=54Z1510
    LEST WE FORGET
    I Will Not Seal My Fate Without a Fight, If You See Me Running, I Run To The Front.
    Member of NFA CCFR CSSA NRA DTOM CATI LEFTY MAFIA

Brasso works well

AUTOSOL metal polish. Go easy around the screw heads with any metal polish as they are all mildly abrasive and will eventually take the blue off the screw heads. Also be sure that the brass has not been coated with some kind of protective film (similar to diamond coat on a vehicle).

FWiW received this response back from Henry regarding brass cleaning. Interesting what they say about the butt plate.

Thank you for owning a Henry firearm.

Brass will naturally tarnish over time and with exposure to various substances (skin oils and salts, acids, various chemicals, etc.) and environmental conditions. To clean and polish the brass receivers and barrel bands on the Big Boy rifles (H006-series), the brass 30/30s (H009B-series), brass .45-70s (H010B), brass Side-Gates (H024-series), and the Original Henry rifle (H011-series), we recommend milder polishes such as Nevr-Dull, Flitz, Otis, Peek Metal Polish, Lucas Metal Polish.

These may be found at various hardware, firearms, and some automotive retailers. Follow the product directions for best results.

Do NOT use polish on the brass buttplates of any models; they have a clear coating on them that will be ruined by polishing. We use a proprietary lacquer clearcoat on the brass buttplates.

Do not use harsh or aggressive polishes like Brasso, Noxon or Naval Jelly. These may dull, scratch or haze the finish.
    Rust Never Sleeps

Quote Originally Posted by Nibe View Post
    Thanks everyone. Came up beautifully and perfectly with Nevr-Dull.
    How dare you disrespect the thread you started by not posting the "after" photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    How dare you disrespect the thread you started by not posting the "after" photos.
    Good point. Crappy pic as I'm a bit pushed this morning. But those marks are basically gone. I'll do the final touches tonight. Good quick response from Henry. as well.

Name:  CCd78HlOQaK8ggStxsyrxA.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  47.0 KB
    Rust Never Sleeps

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234