Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sterling Arms TR Receivers

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexF View Post
    The entire story of this ATRS MS copy is sketchy to say the least. One critical lesson of business is that integrity is key and that might be why I also think that it’s a good thing that they did not take too much business from ATRS.

As for economic value, unless we vote out the Liberals, you’ll end up with a prohibited (maybe deactivated) safe queen with zero market value.
    So your saying that ,for a business to copy another's businesses design ,is unethical?

Quote Originally Posted by 45C View Post
    So your saying that ,for a business to copy another's businesses design ,is unethical?
    Doesn’t everyone copy Glocks and Remington bolt actions?

Damn every AR is a copy of the Armalite.
    CCFR — CSSA

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    Doesn’t everyone copy Glocks and Remington bolt actions?

Damn every AR is a copy of the Armalite.
    Exactly.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by STEELCITYSLICKER View Post
    Based off of the ATRS design......so not sure if.they are public domain but story goes, ATRS was indifferent to someone else using them.

I'm happy to have a limited number out there....
    If something is a utility item, the design cannot be copyrighted, only patented. If the design is not sufficiently new and unique with useful inventions it is not patentable. Then there is zero intellectual property protection. Any features that have artistic merit can have copyright protection. But purely utility = no copyright, possibly patentable. If there is no patent, you are free to copy it. Legally speaking.
    ***** FREE THE WEST *****

just curious, weren't these imported from England, after the OIC May 1st...?
    The right, always trumph!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer J.Hancock's Avatar
    Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. "Ethical business" is an oxymoron.
    "When truth and fairness differs from what is law, better to follow truth and fairness."

Quote Originally Posted by 45C View Post
    Exactly.
    I totally forgot mention the many Ruger 10/22 copies.
    CCFR — CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    I see it two ways personally.

Rick and his team put a tremendous amount of effort into coming up with this design and getting it through the RCMP lab for our very limited market. He should be able to reap the rewards of his efforts without having to worry about someone stealing his design and undercutting him with a sub-par product after he's done all the groundwork.

That said, in this given scenario where it was becoming more and more apparent that there was going to be a push to have semi-auto's banned, the more out in the wild the better for our community because Rick couldn't safely scale up his shop to cover the huge influx in orders when the Gov could shut it all down the next day with a ban (which they did).

The reason TSE was able to undercut ATRS with their own design is because the cost of patenting a design intended for such a limited market isnt really economical as I understand it after talking with Rick.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    I see it two ways personally.

Rick and his team put a tremendous amount of effort into coming up with this design and getting it through the RCMP lab for our very limited market. He should be able to reap the rewards of his efforts without having to worry about someone stealing his design and undercutting him with a sub-par product after he's done all the groundwork.

That said, in this given scenario where it was becoming more and more apparent that there was going to be a push to have semi-auto's banned, the more out in the wild the better for our community because Rick couldn't safely scale up his shop to cover the huge influx in orders when the Gov could shut it all down the next day with a ban (which they did).

The reason TSE was able to undercut ATRS with their own design is because the cost of patenting a design intended for such a limited market isnt really economical as I understand it after talking with Rick.
    Agree. There is a noticeable quality difference between the two sets, as well as ATRS uses higher grade aluminium.

At the end of the day though, I kinda wish a bunch of other Canadian manufacturers started making copies as well through a licensing agreement or something. I wish these sets were as common as the 10/22 in this country.

Uber Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinD View Post
    Agree. There is a noticeable quality difference between the two sets, as well as ATRS uses higher grade aluminium.

At the end of the day though, I kinda wish a bunch of other Canadian manufacturers started making copies as well through a licensing agreement or something. I wish these sets were as common as the 10/22 in this country.
    Agreed.

I wish every CNC in Canada was re-tooled to make MS for a few months. ATRS will sleep well knowing they made a bigger difference than most.
    "He who dares not offend, cannot be honest."
    - Thomas Paine

"Oppression maketh a wise man mad"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast