Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The New Leupold Mark 3HD Coming Soon

Quote Originally Posted by s3xspert11 View Post
    the worst part of it all they couldn't even do a true 1x LOL
    How is Leupold being honest that its not true 1x the worst part?
    Victory Formation

"Somebody get a gun and shoot it! Doesn't anybody have a gun?" Jaws 1975
    A society grows great when men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grain View Post
    How is Leupold being honest that its not true 1x the worst part?
    The "not quite" true 1X- Low Power Variable Optics are not 1.5X
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    The "not quite" true 1X- Low Power Variable Optics are not 1.5X
    Your saying low power variable optics by definition have to be true 1x power and labeled as such?
    Victory Formation

A society grows great when men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grain View Post
    Your saying low power variable optics by definition have to be true 1x power and labeled as such?
    No, my point is that often people complain that 1X- scopes are not true 1x, in that they can see some slight distortion or magnifiaction..... just because it's not a perfect 1x with zero distortion.... is not the reason Leopold would choose to call it a 1.5 X as you suggested in order to be honest that it's not a true 1X.

Hopefully that makes sense to you?
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    No, my point is that often people complain that 1X- scopes are not true 1x, in that they can see some slight distortion or magnifiaction..... just because it's not a perfect 1x with zero distortion.... is not the reason Leopold would choose to call it a 1.5 X as you suggested in order to be honest that it's not a true 1X.

Hopefully that makes sense to you?
    Yes, we're on the same page, and articulating more or less the same thing. The joys of communicating on message boards. I suppose the use of the word honest made my statement appear like that's why they called it 1.5x, as a point of pride that they are being truthful its not actual 1x. I suspect the real reason they say 1.5x is because to get true 1x from Leupold in a Mark series scope you need to buy a 5 or 6 series scope. Is that being honest or just good marketing? Do we care?
    Victory Formation

Well, Leupold markets their Mark 8 as a 1.1-8x. So that should likely serve as an indicator of their honesty/precision in the way they describe their optics.

I just want to add that I’m a huge Leupold fan. Have lots of scopes from them, and they might be my favourite manufacturer because of their quality, light weight, and that they’re all made in the USA. I trust them more than any other run of the mill retail brand.
    But this release is just a real head scratcher for me. I was real excited for these and was planning to buy a couple. But I’m very disappointed. Not sure how this is better than my Mark AR from 4-5 years ago. Wish I could find a couple VX-Freedom AR models still on the shelf.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123