Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mark I Trench Knife

Quote Originally Posted by Castle1 View Post
    Trench knives with knuckles are illegal in Canada...regardless of whether the knuckles are metal or not. At least that is my understanding of the law.
    This is incorrect. Specifically; it's the metal knuckle guard that makes them prohibited in most cases. If the guard was made of anything other than metal, it is not currently regulated (in regards to trench knives).
    ~ShooterPHD

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterPHD View Post
    Trench knives are prohibited due to the metal "Brass Knuckle" guard. If that guard was a "D" guard or made of a material other than metal, it would not be considered prohibited. It would be a fixed blade knife. No restrictions on importation of fixed blade knives.
    Yes, you are correct. When I was using the term "trench knife" it was used within the context of this thread in which it was presumed that we were talking about a knife with a "Brass Knuckle" guard. Yes, there are trench knives that have "D" guards, which I did not include in the explanation because I didn't believe there was confusion about "D" guard variants (we were talking about "G10 knuckle dusters" and making a "Canada legal Mark I Trench Knife" or a "US 1918 mk1 L.F.& C trench knife", etc).

But I am glad that you brought it up because my omission may have caused some confusion. Thank you (not sarcasm).

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterPHD View Post
    Therefore, to classify a "brass knuckles knife" as prohibited:

(a) the handle must be a weapon; and
    (b) that weapon must meet the definition of brass knuckles. It is not sufficient for the blade portion of the knife to be designed as a weapon
    This is true. (But the Governor in Council could make new regulations to prescribe the knife as a "prohibited weapon" if, in the opinion of the Governor in Council, the knife is not reasonable for use in Canada for hunting or sporting purposes. Which is why I mentioned that if such a knife was created and if it garnered a significant amount of negative attention, the proper authority could prescribe the knife to be a prohibited weapon in the future. (Section 117.15 of the Criminal Code of Canada) https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...7%2C%20s.%2034

We live in uncertain times.

For those who may be wondering, ShooterPHD was referencing an excerpt from a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) document, entitled, "Memorandum D19-13-2: Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons, and Devices". See the following link:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...9-13-2-eng.pdf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123