Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cross-Dominant Shooting

CGN Regular
    Last edited by time4t; 02-17-2021 at 01:40 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer redshooter's Avatar
    I have plenty of weirdness looking out my Right Eye, I'm probably slightly Left Dominant, but my eye's don't actually focus in exactly the same place anyway, so I'm use to doing things to compensate. How this effects my shooting is if I take too long to squeeze the Trigger my focus starts to wash out. As another member mentioned, squinting can help, you can see the effect by looking through an AR-15 A2 Rear Sight, look through the 0-200 Aperture, and the the 300-600, it's much easier to maintain a sharp view of the Front Post with the small Aperture. If your eyes are like mine, that's fine for Irons, but I have some problems with Optics too, how I deal with that is just close my eyes monetarily or look away, basically forcing my eyes to re-focus...now if I could do something about the random twitch.
    There's a big difference between kneeling down, and bending over. FZ

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brutus's Avatar
    Right handed here and left eye dominant.
    I shoot archery compound and recurve right handed.
    When I shoot bullseye handgun one handed its left handed shooting. Same for shotguns and rifles.
    I also discovered that shooting with both eyes open is less tiring. Especially if you plan on a long day of target shooting.
    Canadian government runs on trans, gays and French speaking women. Let them fight the next war over there.
    Myself i will crack a beer and merely watch.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    I've helped thousands of people take their first shots and a certain percentage are cross dominant.

Assuming you are right handed and left eye dominant, your options are mostly:

Close your left eye
    Shoot left handed
    Cover your left eye

A large amount of left eye dominant people cannot close their left eye independently. I'm not sure why this is but I've seen it hundreds of times.

I do think it is harder to train your eyes than train your hands.
    Last edited by Gatehouse; 02-01-2021 at 03:03 PM.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by redshooter View Post
    I have plenty of weirdness looking out my Right Eye, I'm probably slightly Left Dominant, but my eye's don't actually focus in exactly the same place anyway, so I'm use to doing things to compensate. How this effects my shooting is if I take too long to squeeze the Trigger my focus starts to wash out. As another member mentioned, squinting can help, you can see the effect by looking through an AR-15 A2 Rear Sight, look through the 0-200 Aperture, and the the 300-600, it's much easier to maintain a sharp view of the Front Post with the small Aperture. If your eyes are like mine, that's fine for Irons, but I have some problems with Optics too, how I deal with that is just close my eyes monetarily or look away, basically forcing my eyes to re-focus...now if I could do something about the random twitch.
    Thank you redshooter! This is what happens to me too. I find it's taking me far too long to pull the trigger as I lose sight. I have been closing my eyes momentarily to try to regain the proper focus. I get it will take practice. I'm frustrated that I am not able to get more shots off as I have to have both my eyes open or I am off on my target. Thanks again for your insight!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I've helped thousands of people take their first shots and a certain percentage are cross dominant.

Assuming you are right handed and left eye dominant, your options are mostly:

Close your left eye
    Shoot left handed
    Cover your left eye

A large amount of left eye dominant people cannot close their left eye independently. I'm not sure why this is but I've seen it hundreds of times.

I do think it is harder to train your hands than train your eyes.
    Thank you Gatehouse! I agree, it's harder to train a life time of doing all kinds of sports right-handed to think it's easy to just switch over to left.

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    I have had serious problems shooting with both eyes open because my left takes over and I lose the scope reticle with my right eye. Recently I’ve been doing a LOT of scope shooting 22 and now I find keeping both open and seeing what I want, whether scope cant level with my left or reticle with my right is getting a lot easier.
    Thank you emerson! This is what happens for me too - my left takes over and I lose the scope reticle with my right eye. I have to have both my eyes open to shoot so hence my ask for help from people with the same scenario. I will get there! Thank you for your insight!

if you are new to the sport, i would suggest to just try learning to shoot everything left handed.

I had the same issue, and it felt very awkward at first, but after it just becomes natural
    "If the ladies dont find you handsome, they should atleast find you handy" - Red Green

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SparklelyGirl View Post
    Thank you Gatehouse! I agree, it's harder to train a life time of doing all kinds of sports right-handed to think it's easy to just switch over to left.
    Sorry I had that backwards. training your hands is relatively easy compared to training your eyes. Hand movement is voluntary, eye dominance is not.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    How long have you been shooting?

I see a lot of people who completely disregard the idea of switching to left handed, but its not as hard as you might think. The same day I switched to shooting shotgun left I was busting more clays. I am right handed, grew up shooting paintball guns, bb guns, etc right handed. Didn't get into real guns until I was in my 20s, and spent the first 5+ years shooting rifle right handed. I resisted switching to left handed for rifles until last year, and honestly I kick myself for not doing it sooner - I can actually SEE iron sights and I don't get nearly as fatigued from a long day at the range (I used to find that over time my ability to focus through a scope with my right eye would diminish, not an issue with my left though).

Not having to fight with my left eye has made shooting even more enjoyable!

The part that I find awkward now is carrying a gun - I still find myself carrying it like I would a right handed gun sometimes.

Thank you emerson! This is what happens for me too - my left takes over and I lose the scope reticle with my right eye. I have to have both my eyes open to shoot so hence my ask for help from people with the same scenario. I will get there! Thank you for your insight!
    I spent years trying all the tricks in the book to overcome my eye dominance issue. At the end of it all, the only thing that truly solved the problem for me was switching to left handed.
    Last edited by Suther; 02-01-2021 at 03:21 PM.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast