Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cross-Dominant Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Buck1950 View Post
    Just me, but I'm 70 and been shooting since 10-11? - Left dom and I've always used that eye to sight. Both irons and scope, I'm not great but within 2moa with all my rifles and knocking around 1moa with my 22s. I can use the right eye ( just tried one of my rifles ) but left 'feels' more natural. I also was switch-hitter at baseball and ambi playing pool - a bit better right handed for both of these.
    I would suggest new shooters do what feels best; Like skwerl said 'it feels natural'. I knew people that were left handed and forced to 'go right' - they were really f-d up. I've been told 'both eyes open' but focus was confusing and I'm not changing now. I was about 40 when I 'became aware' my style was unusual, no one had noticed how I was shooting. My Dad taught me and he was WWII Inf m-gunner and Silver Star recipient, "walked from Italy to Nuremburg" he always said. Never criticized my shooting, tho he was a lot better. Depression country boy shot dinner a lot.
    Thank you for sharing Buck1950. I appreciate your insight!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer J.Hancock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Are you suggesting letting your daughter shoot right handed but with their left eye by leaning their head over the stock more if thats what feels natural to her?
    Are you suggesting that, though it way work with .22, should correct it or she will be stuck shooting .22 forever? I only noticed she was doing it last time I had her dry firing.

Shooting pistol has nothing to do with "what feels natural" in my experience, but rifles are by nature ergonomic.
    Last edited by J.Hancock; 02-02-2021 at 09:42 AM.
    "When truth and fairness differs from what is law, better to follow truth and fairness."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Hancock View Post
    Are you suggesting that, though it way work with .22, should correct it or she will be stuck shooting .22 forever? I only noticed she was doing it last time I had her dry firing.

Shooting pistol has nothing to do with "what feels natural" in my experience, but rifles are by nature ergonomic.
    That technique would concern me once she gets into rifles that recoil. Better to train her properly now while shes young than try to fix it later. Check her eye dominance, and if shes left eye dominant (which that shooting position would suggest) then get her shooting left handed.

For bench shooting, a right hand bolt being shot left handed has some advantages because you don't have to break your grip with your trigger hand to manipulate the bolt. If training a young shooter it is important to pay special attention to trigger discipline in this scenario though because their hand is always right by the trigger whereas a right handed shooter would normally break their grip to cycle the bolt.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer J.Hancock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    That technique would concern me once she gets into rifles that recoil. Better to train her properly now while shes young than try to fix it later. Check her eye dominance, and if shes left eye dominant (which that shooting position would suggest) then get her shooting left handed.

For bench shooting, a right hand bolt being shot left handed has some advantages because you don't have to break your grip with your trigger hand to manipulate the bolt. If training a young shooter it is important to pay special attention to trigger discipline in this scenario though because their hand is always right by the trigger whereas a right handed shooter would normally break their grip to cycle the bolt.
    My thinking also.
    Cheers
    "When truth and fairness differs from what is law, better to follow truth and fairness."

Another cross-dominant (left eye, right hand) newbie here. I've some experience shooting recreationally and have had reasonable accuracy in target shooting right handed with a closed left eye on scoped rifles and strangely pistols also. Actually only discovered cross-dominance issue when trying to shoot clays and found my shot to be completely off throughout.

Now looking to get into hunting this year. It seems clear that I should immediately switch shoulders for shotguns so as to be able to shoot with both eyes open accurately, does the same apply for scoped rifles? Only thing that will take a hit will be reloading speed on a bolt action off the bad hand, or are there other considerations?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234