Thread: For MCR, convert barrel to Carbine length gas port possible?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

For MCR, convert barrel to Carbine length gas port possible?

Is it possible to use an inverted gas block, collar or pin to seal the mid or rifle length gas port, in a similar manner to barrels used in available straight pull manual action receivers that use AR parts, and get a gunsmith to drill a carbine length port for using the barrel with an MCR new build, or to replace the barrel on a complete rifle? Could you then safely seal the carbine port, reopen the other port, and again use the barrel in an AR-15 or AR-15 like rifle if they were restored to legality?

Business Member Rep Wolverine .303's Avatar
    Lattitude - 49.89617 | Longitude - 100.85384
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Is it possible to use an inverted gas block, collar or pin to seal the mid or rifle length gas port, in a similar manner to barrels used in available straight pull manual action receivers that use AR parts, and get a gunsmith to drill a carbine length port for using the barrel with an MCR new build, or to replace the barrel on a complete rifle? Could you then safely seal the carbine port, reopen the other port, and again use the barrel in an AR-15 or AR-15 like rifle if they were restored to legality?
    Short Answer: With enough time and money anything is possible......

Right now it would be better for third party manufacturers to begin ( if they havent already ) working on a rifle length or mid-length gas system ( my suggestion would be rifle )...
    Using the existing gas block and perhaps looking at a two piece piston.... I ain't no engineer I'm not going to pretend to know what I'm talking about...
    Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com
    www.wolverinesupplies.com

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I've read that Wolverine chose the carbine length system to keep the rifle soft shooting. Another manufacturer in the past produced a mid and rifle length op rod for an alternate 180 based rifle, but Wolverine may have a reason for not doing so. Thought I would ask about this as an alternative.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Since Xtreme doesn't have a subforum here, I will email them to ask if they plan to make different length op rods and post back here with there response.

I wonder what the port hole size on the MCR is. I'm gonna guess that the dimensions are more similar to the ACR than the AR15?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Since Xtreme doesn't have a subforum here, I will email them to ask if they plan to make different length op rods and post back here with there response.
    Got a response back from Xtreme Shooting Center, Wolverine's partner for the WX-MCR:

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson at Xtreme Shooting Centre
    Yes it is in the works rifle length. Thanks
    Given Wolverine carries their other MCR related products, I suspect they should be carrying this, too.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer r34skyline's Avatar
    I've read that Wolverine chose the carbine length system to keep the rifle soft shooting. Another manufacturer in the past produced a mid and rifle length op rod for an alternate 180 based rifle, but Wolverine may have a reason for not doing so. Thought I would ask about this as an alternative.
    Carbine length will not be softer shooting than mid length or rifle lenght. May be a cost thing.

Quote Originally Posted by r34skyline View Post
    Carbine length will not be softer shooting than mid length or rifle lenght. May be a cost thing.
    Indeed, it would be quite the opposite in theory.

It could be about reliability (overgassed will be less fussy about ammo).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    So my memory failed me, here's the part from the Additional Info I was thinking of:
    Quote Originally Posted by WS-MCR Additional Information
    As the WS-MCR is available in your choice of three calibers we had to revise the gas system, again this is different to anything that has been marketed to date. We have spent several months fine tuning the gas system and this has resulted a soft positive ejection.
    Not softer shooting, the words I was thinking of was "soft positive ejection". I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the op rod length in concert with the gas port location; I read no reports of rifles from the other manufacturer having issues with the secondary manufacturers longer op rod. With Xtreme making one, we'll see how it works with the MCR's gas system, but hopefully it will stay properly tuned and keep allowing for proper round ejection.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rugbydave's Avatar
    I think they went with carbine length for reliability (over-gassed) in all the offered calibers. The one thing I wonder about a rifle length piston is if it will be as accurate as the short, carbine length piston. If they go with a 2-piece piston system (basically piston + op rod, like an M1/M14) there will have to be an op rod guide on the barrel, I would think?

I'm just hoping that stock pistons become available individually as I'd like to have a spare on hand (as well as a spare bolt+firing pin or BCG)