Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: Made in Canada Spall Coated Level 3+ Steel Plates 199.99 per Pair

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzballer View Post
    I’ve been looking into purchasing some Aluminum Oxide Ceramic Ballistic Plates for some time, mainly for SHTF situations. I’ve been kind of steering away form AR500 plates because of the weight. The price of these is really tempting though for a plate that’s going to sit in a closet besides the occasional ranger trip. Is there any other advantage to steel plates besides cost and I guess no concerns of shelf life? I’m running a Ferro Concepts slickster, would These plates be much thinner then other plate materials?
    From watching other videos on ar500 steel plates they seem extremely durable, and outlast all the other kinds in terms of longevity. The entire plate is also ballistics rated, as other kinds if hit at the edge can fail. Only two things I see as downsides are weight and spalling. Weight I can work with, and if coated right spalling shouldn't be an issue, and if you've got a decent carrier it should help prevent some of it from escaping as well. These plates look to be an inch thick?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribstaylor View Post
    From watching other videos on ar500 steel plates they seem extremely durable, and outlast all the other kinds in terms of longevity. The entire plate is also ballistics rated, as other kinds if hit at the edge can fail. Only two things I see as downsides are weight and spalling. Weight I can work with, and if coated right spalling shouldn't be an issue, and if you've got a decent carrier it should help prevent some of it from escaping as well. These plates look to be an inch thick?
    10mm is roughly 3/8". Assuming the anti spall would add to that though.

At 10mm (the website says 8mm) that’s half the width of what the more expensive rifle plates are. It seems like it’s hard to find level 3+ or 4 plates that could be worn or somewhat concealed under a jacket with out printing like mad. Not at all for nefarious purposes but only, that just like wearing tactical pants it kind of highlights you to others.
    NFA/CSSA Member since the Swiss Arms and CZ 858 Reclassification!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by AITacticalSolutions View Post
    Well I mean anyone who's interested in doing some shooting as part of their day job is on the right track. But in all seriousness if you want to live a normal life I'd highly recommend you stay away from our R&D department. The guy in charge of that is in 6 days a week for 12 hour days so unless you REALLY love body armor its probably not the greatest in terms of work life balance. We refer to him as the dwarf because he's grumpy and is always in a windowless cave churning out armor and the occasional knife or two when he gets bored or wants to procrastinate.
    Tell him to use 2 super thin sheets of AR500 to sandwich(mmm sandwich) a sheet of Graphene, sprawl coat that and really make a splash.
    Hearts and Minds; Two best places to shoot
    Fighting in a basement provides challenges, Number 1 your fighting in a basement!

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diemaco View Post
    Sold out already?
    Yes we sold out of our first production run. We still kept a couple pairs to the side just in case of a situation like this so we have some to put up when they are ready. We will be doubling the quantity for the next run and will get started on those the moment we are finished with the preorders

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzballer View Post
    At 10mm (the website says 8mm) that’s half the width of what the more expensive rifle plates are. It seems like it’s hard to find level 3+ or 4 plates that could be worn or somewhat concealed under a jacket with out printing like mad. Not at all for nefarious purposes but only, that just like wearing tactical pants it kind of highlights you to others.
    Sorry we forgot to update the website but I should just clarify that these plates are 10mm thick including the spall coat. As for a thin plate if thickness was the only issue you where concerned with then steel would be the best option. However if you want to wear armor concealed I would suggest going for soft armor as that should protect against the most common threats in day to day life such as handguns and knives while being just as thin as steel but exponentially lighter and more manoeuvrable. As for your previous post if the purpose of the plates is just to sit in your closet or trunk for an emergency situation than steel would serve you well. If you where concerned about having to move around over substantial distances or with a substantial load then that is when I would suggest looking at the ceramic instead..

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SteelCap's Avatar
    Yes we sold out of our first production run. We still kept a couple pairs to the side just in case of a situation like this so we have some to put up when they are ready. We will be doubling the quantity for the next run and will get started on those the moment we are finished with the preorders
    Where to sign up for next runs pre-orders?
    Last edited by SteelCap; 02-20-2021 at 10:02 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Sorry we forgot to update the website but I should just clarify that these plates are 10mm thick including the spall coat. As for a thin plate if thickness was the only issue you where concerned with then steel would be the best option. However if you want to wear armor concealed I would suggest going for soft armor as that should protect against the most common threats in day to day life such as handguns and knives while being just as thin as steel but exponentially lighter and more manoeuvrable. As for your previous post if the purpose of the plates is just to sit in your closet or trunk for an emergency situation than steel would serve you well. If you where concerned about having to move around over substantial distances or with a substantial load then that is when I would suggest looking at the ceramic instead..

This is probably the best quick response on type of Armour to buy for the situation at hand.
    Hearts and Minds; Two best places to shoot
    Fighting in a basement provides challenges, Number 1 your fighting in a basement!

Thanks very much AITactical Solutions that is very helpful. Love to see Canadian products on the market!
    NFA/CSSA Member since the Swiss Arms and CZ 858 Reclassification!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer freezer filler's Avatar