Size:  122.8 KB

G4C GUN STORE

7780 Woodbine Ave Unit 3, Markham, ON L3R 2N7
    Shop Online: www.g4cgunstore.com
    Fax: +1 (905) 604-8679
    Tel: +1 (905) 604-1611
    E-Mail: info@g4cgunstore.com

Follow us on : Facebook & Instagram

Last edited by jacotsmith; 02-28-2021 at 11:12 AM.

.......Good Gun.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    Was never planning on getting any kind of M1 but this has my interest. It's really just the shroud, but it definitely increases the aesthetics. How reliable are Chiappa M1-9s? I don't know anything about 'em but I always assumed they were kinda crappy quality for some reason.
    I suck at responding to PMs. Don't take it personally.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by btabin View Post
    Was never planning on getting any kind of M1 but this has my interest. It's really just the shroud, but it definitely increases the aesthetics. How reliable are Chiappa M1-9s? I don't know anything about 'em but I always assumed they were kinda crappy quality for some reason.
    On another thread, someone mentioned they had issues with the feed ramp for the Beretta pistol magazine in prior versions. Whether that has been addressed in this version remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    On another thread, someone mentioned they had issues with the feed ramp for the Beretta pistol magazine in prior versions. Whether that has been addressed in this version remains to be seen.
    I have owned the original version for years now, and have recently acquired the new NSR. As far as the original goes, I have never had feed issues. Caveat, I have only used FMJ/Ball ammo in it; Steel and Brass Case. These issues may be related to other types of bullets. My problems with that rifle are due to the insanely complicated disassembly. This is mostly due to that fake bayonet lug that also hold the upper and lower portions of the stock together. You need to remove the entire front sight assembly to remove that part, which makes a full cleaning very difficult.

As far as the new one goes, I will be taking it to the range this weekend. Just playing with it out of the box though, it would seem that a lot of the other issues have been addressed. The bolt locks open on an empty mag, the stock is as ergonomic as possible (although, the grip is very small; surprisingly so). Some sites say the stock is painted wood and some say it is composite; I will tear it apart after I take it to the range and verify this, but it feels and sounds like composite. Disassembly, while still more difficult than it should be, seems like it will be vastly easier on the NSR, as it lacks that fake bayonet mount, and has no barrel-mounted front sight.

I'll provide an update this weekend after I use it and tear it apart.

Thanks, looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by henry183 View Post
    .......Good Gun.
    How so? You’re paying $400 extra for a mediocre firearm that’s been (questionably) dressed up from a previous model.
    For that money, much better off with a PC9, Sub 2000 or Aero Survival.

Okay, I'm back from the range and have ripped it apart. Bear with me folks, this may be a long post. Going to break it up into 2 parts.

So lets start at the range. I took a few hundred rounds with me of CCI Blazer 9x19mm, 115gr FMJ. In addition to the 2 mags that came with the carbine, I also took 3 more that I already had. Now, I did encounter a few issues:

The first one was on me; The mount for the back sight came loose, as I did not put any thread locker on it before going to the range (I saw this one coming...). Was still getting a 2.5" group at 25 yards with it. Note that I was not trying for precision, rather, I was just putting the carbine through it's paces. And my glasses would not stop fogging up, so I couldn't see s*** anyway...

As far as reliability goes, one of the mags that came with the carbine, as well as all my other mags I already had, functioned flawlessly every shot. The second mag that came with the carbine had issues. I could not, for the life of me, load in the 10th round (I did not bring my mag loader; all by hand. Cold fingers didn't help either). I would also get a failure to feed with this mag; always on the 2nd round. Every. Time. This suggests to me that it is an issue with the magazine causing this problem, and not an issue with the carbine.

The BUIS that come with the carbine are very easy to adjust and worked well out to 50 yards (I did not attempt shooting at 100 yards, as the snow on the range was up past my knees). This was probably the easiest rifle to sight in for me that I have owned.

The lower picatinny rail, for me at least, is located exactly where my support hand should go, and that was a tiny bit annoying. I have a vertical foregrip that I plan to put on there in the future.

The adjustable buttstock was very comfortable, and was perfect whether I had my winter coat on or not.

Anyways, I had a lot of fun with this carbine at the range. A little thread locker and not bringing that one mag will make the next time perfect.
    These Liberal Politicians were designed for one purpose and one purpose only; To deceive the largest amount of people in the shortest amount of time. There is no use, and no place, for such politicians in Canada.

Now for the disassembly.

It should be noted that the buttstock is composite, but the rest of the furniture is painted wood. The top picatinny rail is metal, where the bottom one is composite. The pistol grip may or may not be interchangeable with AR grips; I couldn't check because I don't have a spare AR grip lying around.

Disassembly follows the same basic sequence as the original version, however, I was unable to remove the fire control group. Minor differences are that you need to unscrew the fake suppressor (barrel shroud? we'll say shroud.) to remove it, and there is an endcap that holds the upper handguard in place (2 socket screws). It should be noted that all the socket screws on this carbine are metric. The action is identical to the original version, and is just as much of a pain in the butt to disassemble/reassemble. It does get easier to do with some practice (ie; once you know what you are supposed to do).

And now for the issues. These both involve that stupid barrel shroud. Firstly, the endcap of the shroud is threaded onto the muzzle, and into the body of the of the shroud. When I was removing it, it unscrewed a bit from the shroud body before unscrewing from the muzzle. Then when I pulled the shroud off, the O-ring that seals the other end of the shroud made life difficult, as it was VERY stiff and had a bit of an edge to it. I am not sure if it was caused by that stiff, edged, O-ring, or if it was like that from the factory, but the finish on the barrel was absolutely horrendous.

After cleaning the carbine, I reassembled it (which is difficult your first few times because that action is weird), and finally got to the end and just had to put the shroud back on. I could easily get it to screw on to the muzzle, but I could not get it to screw back up the shroud body to become flush with the end again. Far as I can tell, it's impossible. I sent a help-desk ticket to Chiappa Firearms to see if they have a solution; I will post the results of that inquiry when they get back to me.

I am not too worried about that shroud, as I would much rather just have a flash-hider anyway. Refinishing the barrel shouldn't be too difficult either. Not happy about what happened with the shroud, but I would rather just not have it anyway.

Overall, it is easier to take apart than the original.

Hope this helps folks!
    These Liberal Politicians were designed for one purpose and one purpose only; To deceive the largest amount of people in the shortest amount of time. There is no use, and no place, for such politicians in Canada.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast