Thread: Once PAL is approved...

Once PAL is approved...

Once your PAL is approved and issued on the RCMP website, I know you can call and ask for your number, but can you actually possess firearms before you have the physical card? If yes, how would law enforcement verify you hold a valid PAL? Just give them the number and your info, and they can backcheck with the RCMP? I was under the impression anytime you are shooting or hunting you must have your physical PAL on you.

Example: I go online, check my status, it says approved. Call in, collect pal number to order something online. Said item shows up in 7-8 days, while my card takes up to 14 days to arrive. What are the parameters surrounding possessing firearms/ammo for those few days before my card arrives?

Canadian gun laws are vague, let's be honest. I'm hoping someone on here knows the answer to this. Just trying to keep everything legal and above board.
    Last edited by Shantzypantz; 02-09-2021 at 06:38 PM.

If it's valid and know your number you can buy online, I will never send a pict of mine, I just tell the other party my pal number, call in and bingo.
    Don't worry, go plinking, be happy!!

seems to only take one week to get physical card, for me anyway. Showed issued Oct 29 2020 - Card in mailbox Nov 06 2020.

As far as i know, you can buy online with the number. Once firearm is home and you do not have card. All you can do is wait and admire your new toy. Cant take it anywhere until card in hand.
    Same for ammo, only can buy online. Need card to buy ammo in local store.

Works similar to restricted. Buy shiny new handgun. Wait a few days for ATT and transfer. Once done, take gun home. Fondle and admire it until you get your registration certificate. (approx two weeks after you take home)

My first restricted timeline. Buy new Glock 21 on Dec 05 2020. Transfer approved Dec 09. Pick up and take home Dec 11. New RPAL arrived in mail Dec 17 with .002 and ATT conditions attached. Dec 23 Registration Certificate arrives.

CGN frequent flyer
    When any kind of documents (e.g. a certificate, a card, a paper carrier the card arrives with the attached Standard and Special Conditions printed, etc) are missing and
    cannot be produced outside of one's dwelling on the spot, it's a gamble ...

if one gets stopped by a LEO, s/he may grab one's toys and one will have 14 days to produce missing documents to break one's toys out of LE's custody ..
    or s/he may call CFP and verify legitimacy (if they answer phone quickly enough) ... or LE may play some dirty games ..

so, it depends how one is willing potentially to participate in and is tolerant to "adventures" with LE ...
    If a politician’s life is worth armed guards, why aren't our children's lives worth the ability for us to give them the same level of protection?

Welcome to CGN.
    A few days aint going to hurt given the process youve been through to reach this point.... But to answer likening it to when renewing a pal and the gov takes forever with the lame excuse of printers down etc and you end up close to a month without a valid physical pal you simply dont leave the premisis or be seen inside with anything. Owness is on you to prove you are legal, do you get a pat on the back when you cant provide the cop your drivers licence after beening pulled over for speeding? Or prompt admittance (pre covid) at the ER without a health card? Seems you know whats right already id guess and any further clarification is better suited for the CFO than the net. Just chill for a week or so..... its coming

Speaking from personal experience, I purchased two firearms, 740 rounds of .223 ammunition, and 250 target load shotgun shells before I even had my license in hand. I acquired my PAL number from the RCMP and made all my purchases online.
    "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."