Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time pistol buyer questions

You never said where you are , that makes a difference, Ontario the CFO is back logged , slow, But you do not need a range membership
    But if you buy a handgun in the rest of Canada , you have to get a club membership in a gunclub, which can be a PITA as some ranges ate shut down.
    You can buy O.K. , but the transfer will not be approved till you email a membership. If you have one already, Than all you need is money, a locking case and a trigger lock for your new gun.
    When the store gets the paperwork, than you pick the gun up , you can get the transfer approval emailed to you, could be a day or couple weeks.
    Than when you get the certi. in the mail, with the condition attached, which I copy and carry with the gun, and keep the originals in the safe, or file cabinet, Than you can go shooting.
    Some people may go to the range with just the transfer notice, Sure good luck, but good way to lose your new gun.
    The REAL copy will come in the mail in a few days / week or so.
    While you wait for the paperwork , you can clean your new gun and play with the trigger, Make sure to clean all the oil out of the barrel, Chinese guns strip and clean everything.
    Good luck. It is not a big deal buying a handgun, the club membership bull#### can be a pain. That is CFO's making up rules , just like the RCMP does with FRT's

Quote Originally Posted by AB.boy View Post
    I might also suggest you purchase from one of the forum sponsors. You will likely spend less money, easy to order online and it will be delivered to your door or local post office after the transfer is approved. Then you just wait for your registration to be mailed to you.
    Right on. Good advice. I'll do that.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Less hassle buying from a sponsor here. Compare prices has never been easier. They will do the transfer for you and mail it to you. Most parts of Canada you need a gunclub membership and authorization to transport forth and back to your range. Good idea to freshen up transport and storage regulations for restricted. Which handgun are you looking to buy?

The conditions attached to my RPAL say this:

"Transport of a newly acquired restricted firearms and/or prohibited firearms from the place of acquisition to the licence holder's dwelling house or other place authorized by the chief firearms officer."

A Transfer Notification says this:

"This is to inform you that your application to register the following firearm(s) has been processed. You may take possession of them now."

So, get TN and bring home new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by scianna54 View Post
    Less hassle buying from a sponsor here. Compare prices has never been easier. They will do the transfer for you and mail it to you. Most parts of Canada you need a gunclub membership and authorization to transport forth and back to your range. Good idea to freshen up transport and storage regulations for restricted. Which handgun are you looking to buy?
    I will definitely use the sponsors here and get it ordered. I have a gun club membership as well.
    I think I'm just going to get a Glock .45 but I have always thought the Beretta 9mm was beautiful..

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Permitted purposes for ownership

There are a few purposes for which you may be licensed to acquire or possess a restricted firearm:

target practice or target shooting competitions
    as part of a collection
    in limited circumstances, use in connection with one's lawful profession or occupation, or to protect life

Target shooting practice and competition

To be authorized to have restricted firearms for target shooting purposes, you must provide proof that you practice or compete at an approved shooting club or range.

For more information about approved shooting clubs and ranges, contact the appropriate provincial or territorial Chief Firearms Officer by calling the Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) at 1-800-731-4000.

Collectors

To be authorized to have restricted firearms as part of a collection, you may be asked to: :

know the historical, technical or scientific features of such firearms in your collection
    consent to occasional inspections of the place where your collection is stored
    comply with regulations dealing with safe storage, record-keeping and other matters related to restricted firearms

Employment purposes and protection of life

In limited circumstances, an individual may be authorized to possess or acquire a restricted firearm for employment purposes or for protection of life.

<https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/classes-firearms#restrict>
    Classes of firearms
    <https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/classes-firearms#restrict>
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

Greetings
    "iacta alea est"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12