Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Musings of a Wolverine --- Uncle Thomas

Taranaki New Zealand/Fort Mc Murray, Alberta
    Quote Originally Posted by bogozzo View Post
    I imagine there will be many stories like this in New Zealand in 40 years time .. well, not about Thompsons but those equally dangerous semiauto .22's gramps squirreled away.
    .22 semis are still legal in NZ, but I bet there are plenty of AR and Bar,s in a piece of 4"-6" plumbing pipe, hidden away.
    Might even know of one,

CGN Ultra frequent flyer buzzmagoo's Avatar
    Sadly as the old vets pass on, manny souvenirs of past adventures get rediscovered and end up getting destroyed.
    Never ride faster than your Angel can fly !

Good story John. Thank you

CGN Regular
    Great tale, John, very well told. as a youngster of 6 or 7, I often went with my Grandfather to visit an old friend & WWII vetran. He’d been badly injured during one of the final assaults in Berlin near the end of the war, however not before he’d “liberated” a number of pistols from the enemy, along with a bunch of other regalia...buttons, belt buckles, collar dogs & tabs, etc.

He managed to get a lot of stuff home, including a Luger and what turned out to be a scarcer than normal broomhandle Mauser. Over the course of many visits, the two of them spent hours behind the motel his friend owned, shooting a couple of old rifles,lnfrequently the old broomhandle (ammo for it was hard to find, even in the early 60’s. The Luger was shot much more; he had a regular soruce of ammo for it from someone.

I’ll never forget that Luger; it was the first firearm I’d ever fired, and I wasn’t allowed to tell anyone, Especially not my Mother. she was not a gun fan, AT ALL. At 6 years old, I could barely hold it up at arms length, and dropped it after the first round went off from the recoil, I was allowed to shoot it many times after though.

When his friend passed away, my Grandfather was offered the two pistols, but he declined; it wasn’t really his thing. The family had no interest in them, so they were surrendered. It seemed I was the onky one who really wanted them, and for some reason no one thought giving them to a 10 year old was a good idea..!!!???

Imagine being a part of this generation and going over to Europe to risk life and limb for freedom, only to have your own freedoms stripped away piecemeal over the decades by oncoming waves of neo-liberals and marxists.

Damn shame we've let it get this bad.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - JFK

"Covenants without the sword are but words, and of no strength to secure a man at all." - Hobbes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123