Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Dealers Restricting powder and primmer sales?

Dealers Restricting powder and primmer sales?

So recently I had seen and commented on a post by Eagle Firearms Ltd. ("Your Firearms Retailer in Tisdale!") where they had been informing customers that they would be limiting powder and primmer sales to 2000 primers, and 2 pounds of powder by charging a premium to large orders and actually claiming they have "the RIGHT to limit quantities to better serve customers".

I'm not sure what happened to the original post and I cannot find it, but they have a banner on their web page still. Am I alone in feeling like this is offside? I tend to try and buy in bulk for several reasons.

1. I'm buying large quantities of reloading components that are from the same lot. I purposely do this so i limit the amount of variation in components from different lots. When i got into reloading years ago it was taught to me that powders and primers can vary from lot to lot and for the sake of consistency it's best to buy large quantities of components of the same lots. We are chasing consistency after all... Ideally, an 8-pound jug of powder and 1000ish primers and I'm good for a season of target shooting.

2. I also tend to buy in bulk to save some money, as historically the more ya buy the more ya save..... It is kinda like the whole business model of shopping at Costco.

I have been trying my hardest lately to put my money to work where I can. By this I mean, spending money locally even when it may cost a few bucks more, avoiding buying products made in China, and I have stopped spending my money at businesses that do not line up with my beliefs. I think ill wait for my local gun shop to get my powder in before i support businesses like this that don't support us.

Anyway, am I alone in feeling disappointed that not only is our government, trying to make a mess of our firearm culture in Canada but now our dealers are as well?

https://www.eaglefirearms.ca/
    HONK HONK

I hear what you are saying and I don't disagree with you but I think they are trying to combat hoarding. I guess for me it all comes down to free market enterprise. They can run their business the way they want and you can shop from whoever you want.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    Private enterprises have the right to operate their business as they see fit. Including but not limited to the right to refuse service and limit quantity. This is nothing new. As for powder and primers, there are shortages country wide. It's up to the business if they want to sell it all to one or two customers or spread the limited stock across their customer base. Damn if they do and damn if they don't.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    With hoarding and people buying to resell at inflated prices, Eagle Firearms made a choice.
    Their business, their rules.
    You're welcome to go elsewhere. That's your call.

Quote Originally Posted by brapjack View Post
    So recently I had seen and commented on a post by Eagle Firearms Ltd. ("Your Firearms Retailer in Tisdale!") where they had been informing customers that they would be limiting powder and primmer sales to 2000 primers, and 2 pounds of powder by charging a premium to large orders and actually claiming they have "the RIGHT to limit quantities to better serve customers".

I'm not sure what happened to the original post and I cannot find it, but they have a banner on their web page still. Am I alone in feeling like this is offside? I tend to try and buy in bulk for several reasons.

1. I'm buying large quantities of reloading components that are from the same lot. I purposely do this so i limit the amount of variation in components from different lots. When i got into reloading years ago it was taught to me that powders and primers can vary from lot to lot and for the sake of consistency it's best to buy large quantities of components of the same lots. We are chasing consistency after all... Ideally, an 8-pound jug of powder and 1000ish primers and I'm good for a season of target shooting.

2. I also tend to buy in bulk to save some money, as historically the more ya buy the more ya save..... It is kinda like the whole business model of shopping at Costco.

I have been trying my hardest lately to put my money to work where I can. By this I mean, spending money locally even when it may cost a few bucks more, avoiding buying products made in China, and I have stopped spending my money at businesses that do not line up with my beliefs. I think ill wait for my local gun shop to get my powder in before i support businesses like this that don't support us.

Anyway, am I alone in feeling disappointed that not only is our government, trying to make a mess of our firearm culture in Canada but now our dealers are as well?

https://www.eaglefirearms.ca/
    No. Wrong. 100% Wrong.

If dealers wanted to #### with you, they would keep everything for themselves. They are trying to keep their shelves stocked as long as possible so they can serve as many people/customers as possible. The people that are ####ing with you are the ones buying and instantly reselling for a markup, aka scalping. Just look at the EE if you want examples of this.

You need to pick and follow some of the US stores. Many are into hardcore rationing. 1 box of 9mm per person per day kind of rationing. Once you get a taste of what's happening down south, you'll respect what our Canadian dealers are doing. (I hope)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Limits to allow more customers to get at least some stock is a good thing. If you have a few containers of powder and are worried about lot inconsistency, just mix it all together and rebottle it. There is a current thread about this in the reloading section.

Right now I have been informed my distributors that supplies are limited. Some are not even getting added to their inventory, and unless you pre-booked the supplies you are SOL. I recently got an email from a supplier that on April 1, prices from Visa Outdoors will be increasing for ammunition and reloading supplies by 10-15%.

A major power and ammo re-manufacturing company, informed me that they will not be selling any power to retail because they have been notified powder shortages can last another 30 months.

Bullet manufacturers lead times have also doubled, in Canada also. Before it was 4-5 weeks to get an order from Campro, now its 8-9 weeks if you are lucky.

I applaud eagle for rationing reloading supplies, but their pricing is way out of whack to start with. $55 for powder, $85 for primers. They don't deal with the suppliers I deal with.

I have been warning people of primer/powder shortages for the last 4 months.
    Last edited by madcow; 03-07-2021 at 12:44 PM.

No, you're completely wrong. The dealer is doing what he should, keeping as many people in the game as possible and protecting them from the scumballs who are currently buying up all the powder they can and reselling it later at huge markups. The same people who lowball on the ee and then resell at a big profit a week later.

If you waited until now to buy this summer's shooting supplies then that's not the dealer's fault either. Got to pay attention in times like this.

Get use to it....it's never going to change, learnt my lesson with the .22 and primer issues awhile back.Don't blame the retailer....blame yourself for smelling the roses!!..
    The Maple Leaf Forever

Quote Originally Posted by madcow View Post
    Right now I have been informed my distributors that supplies are limited. Some are not even getting added to their inventory, and unless you pre-booked the supplies you are SOL. I recently got an email from a supplier that on April 1, prices from Visa Outdoors will be increasing for ammunition and reloading supplies by 10-15%.

A major power and ammo re-manufacturing company, informed me that they will not be selling any power to retail because they have been notified powder shortages can last another 30 months.

Bullet manufacturers lead times have also doubled, in Canada also. Before it was 4-5 weeks to get an order from Campro, now its 8-9 weeks if you are lucky.

I applaud eagle for rationing reloading supplies, but their pricing is way out of whack to start with. $55 for powder, $85 for primers, sorry that gouging, or they don't deal with the suppliers I deal with.
    $55 for powder is gouging? That's a better price than most retailers are doing right now. Apparently we should be buying powder from your store instead.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast