Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: PSA - Firearms transfer notice no longer temp Reg Cert.

Quote Originally Posted by tannerpid View Post
    I did this as well, I wanted to be absolutely sure there was nothing that could be used against me in case the alphabet bois pulled me over when I was going to the range
    Wil be nice to be absolutely sure you don’t get into a road accident on the way to the range...too.
    Been at it close to 50 years and I do not know of a single guy ever been stopped to check his gun permit.
    There is more chance of any other type of mishaps that you should worry about, than
    this.

The approval notice is just the request approval of the restricted firearms transfer from transferor to transferee. This allows the seller to ship the restricted firearm to the buyer or give it to them to take possession of.
    The actual registration certificate is a different piece of paper that is issued to the new owner. You are required to have that with you when transporting the restricted firearm (in accordance with your ATT, to and from the Range you specified to the CFC during the transfer request process), in addition to your PAL.

From the Website:

Restricted and Prohibited
    The CFP must speak with both the transferor and the transferee for restricted and prohibited firearms. However, both parties do not need to be available at the same time. Follow the steps below.
    Make sure the firearm is verified.
    Call the CFP with the following information:
    If you are an individual transferor you will need to provide your full name, address and firearms licence number, and the transferee's full name and PAL number
    If you are a business transferor you will need to provide your business licence and identification number, and the transferee's full name, address and PAL number
    If you are an individual transferee you will need to provide your PAL number, full name and address, and the transferor's full name and firearms licence number
    If you are a business transferee you will need to provide your business licence and identification number, and the transferor's full name, address and firearms licence number
    If you initiate the transfer you will need to provide the registration certificate number and confirm the firearm information (make, model, serial number, firearms identification number (FIN), etc.)
    When you call the CFP, you will get a reference number. Make sure both the transferor and the transferee have that reference number.
    The CFO for the jurisdiction receives the request and will review the transfer to make sure that the transferee is acquiring the restricted firearm or prohibited handgun for one of the permitted purposes (Firearms Act, Section 28).
    The transferee will need to get an Authorization to Transport (ATT) to transport the restricted firearm to its new location. There is no fee for an ATT. Call the CFP at 1-800-731-4000 or submit form RCMP 5490.
    Both the transferor and the transferee will receive a confirmation notice to let them know the transfer is complete. After a transfer is approved the new registration certificate will be mailed to the new owner within a few weeks.

From the CCC and Firearms Act
    Name:  SmartSelect_20210311-162803_Chrome.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  SmartSelect_20210311-162717_Chrome.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  SmartSelect_20210311-162354_Chrome.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  SmartSelect_20210311-162259_Chrome.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  106.7 KB

Name:  SmartSelect_20210311-161924_Chrome.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  SmartSelect_20210311-161549_Chrome.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  80.9 KB
    Last edited by scourge18a; 03-11-2021 at 07:34 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ruger007's Avatar
    I have been told that a few times from the CFC. As I waited for 8 weeks for the certificate to arrive. In this day and age why can't there just be a email and you print it out. Saves a stamp and a bunch of BS.
    You meet the nicest people on a Honda!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger007 View Post
    I have been told that a few times from the CFC. As I waited for 8 weeks for the certificate to arrive. In this day and age why can't there just be a email and you print it out. Saves a stamp and a bunch of BS.
    Exactly. Covid should have forced government to go paperless for various reasons including efficiency and our soaring debt.

I wouldn't trust anything I'm told, only in writing. The person who may pull you over might disagree with what you "were told".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    Lol, what a nothingburger. The whole "temporary registration certificate" was only ever just an opinion and never legitimate. Nowhere meaningful did it ever say the transfer notice allowed you to take your restricted firearm to the range. Anyone upset at the notice needs to practice their critical thinking skills.
    I suck at responding to PMs. Don't take it personally.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfixer View Post
    The actual registration certificate is a different piece of paper that is issued to the new owner. You are required to have that with you when transporting the restricted firearm (in accordance with your ATT, to and from the Range you specified to the CFC during the transfer request process), in addition to your PAL.
    I believe this is incorrect. if you will look at scourge18a's post you will note that nowhere does it say you have to have the registration certificate with you when you transport a restricted firearm or prohibited handgun. It only says you must posssess it (you possess it even if it is at your home). You also do not have to be transporting the firearm to and from the range you specified to the CFC when completing the transfer. The ATT attached to your licence allows you to transport any restricted firearms or prohibited handguns you have certificates for to any CFO approved range in your province.

A police officer might (they don't have to) confiscate your restricted firearm or prohibited handgun if you do not produce a registration certificate but only until you provide them with the certificate. You are not committing an offence if you don't have the registration certificate with you.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer J.Hancock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scourge18a View Post
    Is that notice the Registration Certificate?
    What does the Firearms Act Require you to have with you besides your RPAL?
    Indeed, however a copy of the certificate/printout isn't the actual certificate either, by this standard. The "transfer notifications" I have received are relatively identical to the actual certificate, printed on cheaper paper.

It's relevant because I like to keep my certs all in the safe together and generally would carry copies in my range bag. Damn lucky I never needed it, won't be making that mistake anymore.
    Last edited by J.Hancock; 03-11-2021 at 08:51 PM.
    "When truth and fairness differs from what is law, better to follow truth and fairness."

Quote Originally Posted by DanOnymus View Post
    Maybe I was always a little overcautious, but wasn't it that way already? The Notice allowed you to take it home only.

Never took a restricted to the range before I got the actual Registration Certificate for it. Most torturous par of owning a new restricted is NOT being allowed to take it to the range for a test run the one day of the week you're free to do so.

Followed closely by "Got my registration the following day" and the range closes for three weeks.
    That is what I assumed.......the final official certificate is what I had always waited for.
    CCFR — CSSA

Quote Originally Posted by Janeau View Post
    Wil be nice to be absolutely sure you don’t get into a road accident on the way to the range...too.
    Been at it close to 50 years and I do not know of a single guy ever been stopped to check his gun permit.
    There is more chance of any other type of mishaps that you should worry about, than
    this.
    This x100. So many unenforced/unchecked red tape and "rules".

So long as you aren't the kind of fool to offer any more info than required when pulled over and don't advertise you're into guns, you shouldn't be asked if there is a weapon in the car. Ergo, there is no reason to produce any paperwork for any gun, as there will be no conversation about them.

Only ever heard of one clown getting asked about it, as he volunteered that he was taking his new toy to the range. Not only did he now have to waste his time providing the paperwork, he just gave the cop a free pass to look in his car.