Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A bunch of noob questions from a Canadian ex-pat

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by realstuart View Post
    You don't need a license to export, and you don't need a license to import if it is for personal use. Plus as I mentioned I own two submachine guns that get very hungry.
    Can I come visit? I'll get a Form 6NIA (approved of course) and bring extra ammo .

BANNED
    If you like!

CGN frequent flyer 84fuegoturbo's Avatar
    You don't need a license to export, and you don't need a license to import if it is for personal use. Plus as I mentioned I own two submachine guns that get very hungry.
    Ok you must have lots of bucks if you own 2 “submachine guns” good luck with your imports/exports.

BANNED
    Yeah the pre-86 stuff is definitely spendy. Not sure why the quotations? They're both really fun to shoot, though.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Hi there gun nut community. I am a Canadian citizen ex-pat now living in America. I've never had a PAL issued to me and I have some questions about the process of obtaining one as a non-resident:
    Reasonable question. You aren't the first, nor the last or seem to have any unusual circumstances, other than the good fortune (literally) of some of the things you've been able to acquire.

If all I want to do is purchase ammunition, I only need a PAL and not an RPAL, correct?
    Yes. It is a condition of purchase to prove your identity and the PAL is something the stores use to prove eligibility to purchase ammunition. Legally possess too if I recall correctly.

2A on the PAL application asks "If you are licensed, indicate the class of firearms you now possess. Check all that apply" The thing is, I own no weapons nor have I ever owned any weapons in Canada. Here at my house in America, however, I have several that would be extremely taboo with Canadian law including several pistols, rifles, a sawed-off shotgun, several suppressors, multi 30 / 50 / 100 round magazines and (yes) a couple of full-auto sub-machine guns. I'm not licensed in Canada nor have I never been - so do I choose "I do not possess any firearms" or do I check "Non-Restricted" / "Restricted" / "Prohibited" given my arsenal here at home?
    Those are Canadian classes, and can't apply internationally. As others have mentioned, there are some pieces you have mentioned which would not be allowed into Canada, but here's a phrase to research. Settlers Goods, is a catchall for personal belongings as a person settles into their life in Canada. If you were to arrive with a bunch of stuff, you have not had access to Canadian advice or approved facilities. Having some over capacity mags wouldn't work for Joe-Blow Sixpack resident of Canada, but might be a way to import then properly modify your possessions.

Does anyone have a sample of what the "letter of good conduct" needs to say? Is it just a background check showing no convictions, or does it need to actually be a "I am Officer X and I know Mr RealStuart and he is a good person" ? If so, I don't have the foggiest idea of where to get something like that. I don't even know if it exists.
    In my understanding, there is no specific phrasing. You need someone a Canadian immigration or police worker would recognize as a position of authority to vouch in English on official letterhead that you've been a good boy, haven't broken the law where you've lived, and have been trusted by the county/state/federal government to possession firearms - per the existing laws. I'd think the Sheriff's office would be an ideal first stop. And yes, he is sorry to see you leave the jurisdiction.

Given COVID, can the CFSC be taken online? Are there any recommendations for providers that can deliver this remotely?
    As mentioned, the shutdown rules are screwing up everyone's calendars. You can download the manual ( https://www.ottawafirearmsafety.ca/course-material/ or http://publications.gc.ca/collection...1-2014-eng.pdf ) and get ready to sit the lectures. Remember, this was written by a committee and there are some downright backwards teaching points. Just shut up and perform exactly as taught.

[*]Can any of the actual PAL test be done online? I understand there is an in-person component, however can the non-written component be done online? If not, where is it typically administered? I'm not interested in joining a Canadian gun club.
    To possess Restricted Firearms you choose to declare as a Collector or a Shooter. Having a club to go to is always preferable to looking wistfully into the gun safe and smiling at what could be.

Thank you so much for entertaining all of my questions. I am happy to provide any deeper clarification on any of the points I've mentioned above.

-Stuart
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

BANNED
    Great reply and information - thank you so much.

The PAL course and test must be done in person. There is no way to do it online.

You mentioned not needing a license to import/export ammo for personal use. This is NOT true. When crossing the boarder with ammo, you are required to follow the rules of both countries. It is two actions (exporting from one, then importing to the other).

The USA prohibits exporting ammo without an export license regardless of use. So, while Canada doesn't care if you bring personal use ammo into Canada, you may not take it out of the USA. If you get caught trying, you will end up in a USA Federal Prison.

I'm not as clear on taking ammo into the USA. I know a Canadian resident can take ammo into USA on a Temporary Import Permit (Form 6NIA from the ATF), but any unused ammo must come back to Canada with you. It can't stay. I can not say what the rules are on a USA resident bringing ammo out of Canada and into USA.
    Last edited by Andronicus; 03-19-2021 at 03:22 PM.
    CCFR Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I appreciate the feedback, unfortunately it doesn't really answer the questions I had regarding getting a PAL...
    The form is worded stupidly. When thwy ask you firearms you possess what they mean is what class of license are you applying for.

For clarity you can attach a cover letter to the application , but the less you say to the Canadian Firearms Program the better.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Andronicus View Post
    The PAL course and test must be done in person. There is no way to do it online.
    As others have said. Thank you for that. I guess I am in a holding pattern for that for now.

You mentioned not needing a license to import/export ammo for personal use. This is NOT true. When crossing the boarder with ammo, you are required to follow the rules of both countries. It is two actions (exporting from one, then importing to the other).
    Thank you; I'm aware of that. What I said is, however, absolutely true.

Regarding export, you can read the full text here however the summary is "you can export and transport in-transit up to 5,000 rounds of small arms cartridges for personal use without an export and transport in-transit permit".

Regarding import, you can read the full text here however the summary is "A non-licensed resident of the U.S may obtain an approved ATF F 6 (Part I) import permit to import sporting ammunition for his or her own use but not for resale or other commercial purpose".

The USA prohibits exporting ammo without an export license regardless of use. So, while Canada doesn't care if you bring personal use ammo into Canada, you may not take it out of the USA. If you get caught trying, you will end up in a USA Federal Prison.
    Whoever said anything about this? Is this an incorrect assumption you made based off of my first message? Candidly, your response is borderline non-sequitur given that I was originally asking about how to obtain a PAL.

I'm not as clear on taking ammo into the USA. I know a Canadian resident can take ammo into USA on a Temporary Import Permit (Form 6NIA from the ATF), but any unused ammo must come back to Canada with you. It can't stay. I can not say what the rules are on a USA resident bringing ammo out of Canada and into USA.
    And I wasn't asking.

As others have said , For ammo , You just need a pal, If you want to do anything with pistols in Canada , than you need a Rpal.
    I don't know where you are, but I know a fellow in S.sask that does the courses one on one these days. But they have to be done here.
    I know US fellows with PALs as they would come up to the gunshows and haggle about old Winchester prices, and such. Before all the shut downs happened.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast