Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Newbie Gun Cleaning Question

I found for cleaning a semi auto 22 the OTIS system is fantastic. It is a pull through cable on which you put a patch on the end. Also comes with a stubby bronze brush you can attach. Even their all in one cleaning fluid/ protectant works. Cost for a 22 complete kit about $14.00. Nice thing is you clean from the breech out to muzzle. Can't do that with a cleaning rod on a semi auto. Nice and handy at the range I put mine into a 4" square "tupperware" style container. You may have to call around to your local gun shops to find out who carries it. For years I used the good old cleaning rod but this product in my opinion (for 22 semi auto's anyway) is easy to use, works well, and does exactly what it is supposed to do. I reccommend this product to anyone who shoots 22 semi's.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mike Oxbig's Avatar
    My savage .22 semi gets cleaned when the weather's good enough to do it outside. It's the most used of my guns and the least cleaned.
    It's got close to 3000 rounds or so now judging by how many are left in my 5000 round box and it still shoots great! (shooting full lead. If it was jacketed material i'd clean more often)
    I only clean my smooth bore shotguns every few hundred too as there's not much crap that builds up on a smooth barrel that will change your pattern. I do pull a hoppes soaked bore snake through every now and again for fun.

However on my hunting rifles i clean the crap out before a hunt, sight in and then use it like that for the season (it's lucky to see 2 shots)

Mike

I'm currently using the Gunslick cleaning kits for my .22 as well as my centerfire and shotgun. As far as the cleaner goes, it seems to work alright, but I have no experience with any other product as of yet.

You can, however, do a lot better than the oil that comes with that kit. My 870 has that rust-loving finish that everyone just loves to hate, especially those who don't own one . I was careful in wiping it down very often with the gunslick oil, and I still had rust here and there, and it just didn't look as it did new.

I recently tried out G96 complete gun treatment on it, and what a difference! The gun is now black and shiny (as opposed to a dull brownish-black) and looks brand new! No more rust problems either, the G96 seems to finally have put this to rest. Thus I highly recommend G96, as the difference is so blatantly obvious. It has also made me question the Gunslick cleaner in the kit a little more, as maybe my "cleaner epiphany" is not too far off either .

I think that's awesome Neonbee, some of my best memories are of shooting pellet guns with my Dad, but I always wanted him to get something more "interesting" and he opted for not doing it for safety's sake.
    Now I have my own 3 yr old son, and a safe full of "interesting" rifles for us to shoot together when he's older so he can have even better memories than I do.
    Even neater still about this is that now my Dad is considering getting his PAL and a .22 and he's almost 60 now! lol I guess the difference is that he was in the reserves once upon a time and already knows all about rifles, but I don't think that's a big deal, as long as you're conscientious it's all good in my humble opinion.

BANNED
    Thanks Jim,
    We went out 2 weeks ago for the first time. We first went to the local dump and scrounged around in the metal bin. We came out with some old metal pots, a wok, 2 muffin tins and a big steel mixing bowl.
    We also took some pop cans and froze some water inside them.
    We hauled all our stuff out to the bush and hung it from the trees with binder twine. (we had a berm behind the targets)
    Anyway....we had a blast!!! It was REALLY a lot of fun!!
    We put about 300 rounds through the gun before it jammed, so we called it a day.
    I now have the sickness though......
    Since then, I now own 4 .22 cal rifles but have only shot the one.
    My wife is starting to think I've lost it.
    I'm buying ammo every 3rd day (just for the heck of it).
    I've ordered slings, scopes, cleaning supplies & rings on line. Every store I go into, I look for the hunting section and usually come out with something!
    I also check various gun web sites every night and read, read, read. (mostly rim fire stuff...nothing bigger)
    Hell! I'm even dreaming about the damn things!!!

Is this curable?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .30/06 FTW's Avatar
    lol you're hooked now. and about your wife, my mom is the same way
    "Instead of 'sewer,' I propose 'Trudeau.' Both terms describe massive deposits of human filth, and no person who knows what these terms describe would ever want to live under either one." ~Doc M
    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt545
    I just took an assault poop as well. I know it was an assault poop because I "sprayed from the hip".

Quote Originally Posted by Neonbee View Post
    I now have the sickness though......
    Since then, I now own 4 .22 cal rifles but have only shot the one.
    My wife is starting to think I've lost it.
    I'm buying ammo every 3rd day (just for the heck of it).
    I've ordered slings, scopes, cleaning supplies & rings on line. Every store I go into, I look for the hunting section and usually come out with something!
    I also check various gun web sites every night and read, read, read. (mostly rim fire stuff...nothing bigger)
    Hell! I'm even dreaming about the damn things!!!

Is this curable?
    No cure I'm afraid, I got my PAL in the end of December. I was thinking, I'll just get a 22 for plinking ... Now, not even three months later I have 2 22's, 2 12 gauges, and a .223. I also have enough ammo to keep me going 'till next winter... other that running up the credit card a bit, I couldn't be happier!!
    Member: Canadian Shooting Sports
    Member: FRPC
    Member: OFAH

Quote Originally Posted by Neonbee View Post
    I just bought my first gun off a CGN'r (.22 Savage Semi Auto plinker) and was curious what I need to buy now to keep it clean and in good working order.

I have a Walmart and Canadian Tire near me. It would be convenient if I could pick the stuff up there.

Also what's a good name in .22 LR cartridges??

Much appreciated!!
    Outters makes good solvent and oil. Pick up some of them and then cut up an old rag into 1inch by 1inch squares to clean.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234