Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gravel pit shooting areas Calgary

This makes me sad lol. Thank you all for the replies. I moved here from Winnipeg and there are plenty of spots to shoot around there.
    I am fire forming brass with cream of wheat, Would rather leave that in the grass at some random place then at a range.
    Most of the outdoor ranges I have been able to find are expensive or have massive wait times. Unless someone local knows of a place that is currently accepting membership and can point me in the right direction that would be amazing.

Thanks again.

CGN Regular
    A problem with the Waiprous area is people on dirt bikes and atvs/side by sides. They can be anywhere at any time and it makes it difficult to find a safe spot to shoot. There is a gravel pit area that is specifically marked as no trespassing, which is too bad as it has a good area to shoot, but there are always people riding around. Same deal around Mclean creek area, turns into a Sh*t show when all the peoples show up. McLean creek had a real problem with random public shooters leaving all kinds of garbage and cases lying around. Not sure if shooting has been banned in that area. There was a public "range" out by BTSA/Swiss/AFRA/Rosebud, but it was closed due to abuse of the area by the general public. Good luck finding an area closer than about an hour from town, if you find one I suggest keeping it to yourself.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by cuslog View Post
    Who is and where are DDSA ?
    google can occasionally be helpful Drumheller District Shooters Association

Quote Originally Posted by Jrome View Post
    Hi all. I am trying to find a place to go shooting around Calgary, Gravel pit or crown land that people go-to on a regular basis. I have looked around on the forums and I cant seem to find a forum for specific areas of Canada. If this is the wrong place to post I apologies. I have tried google but most of the posts I have found are years old. I am located in the NW of Calgary.

Thanks.
    I love heading out to Waiparous to do some shooting (along the trunk road or down the Trans Alta road). However, it can be busy out there with campers, ATVers, and shooters, especially in the summer and weekends. Best time is weekday morning. Sunday afternoon can be good too as a lot of campers are already heading back to Calgary. Also, during hunting season, probably not a great idea.
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rayleigh_Scattering View Post
    Unfortunately, even if 90% shooters clean up after themselves all people will see is the mess left by the other 10%.
    Honestly, campers leave a bigger mess behind than shooters. Between human waste, broken tables, random garbage blowing around in the wind, and smoldering fires, it can be a real mess. Then there's the dog from a nearby camp coming over, getting in the way of us shooting, and eating the human waste. Send that dog back to its owners with sh!t on its face.

Anyway, usually shooting in the Alberta wilderness is better than that. That was just one bad example.
    CCFR Member

Hey thanks all for the replies. I appreciate you all helping me out!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andronicus View Post
    Honestly, campers leave a bigger mess behind than shooters. Between human waste, broken tables, random garbage blowing around in the wind, and smoldering fires, it can be a real mess. Then there's the dog from a nearby camp coming over, getting in the way of us shooting, and eating the human waste. Send that dog back to its owners with sh!t on its face.

Anyway, usually shooting in the Alberta wilderness is better than that. That was just one bad example.
    In my experience both crowds suck. Its no wonder that the Alberta Gov't is looking to charge people to use the backcountry considering the messes I've seen over the years (albeit in BC, but I'm sure Alberta is no different)
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    In my experience both crowds suck. Its no wonder that the Alberta Gov't is looking to charge people to use the backcountry considering the messes I've seen over the years (albeit in BC, but I'm sure Alberta is no different)
    Who do these people think cleans up? These areas aren't just magical garbage eating landscapes.
    CCFR Member

You can join BTSA. You just need a referral. Come to one of the many events open to the public, meet someone from the club that can refer you.
    Proud CCFR member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12