Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gravel pit shooting areas Calgary

Gravel pit shooting areas Calgary

Hi all. I am trying to find a place to go shooting around Calgary, Gravel pit or crown land that people go-to on a regular basis. I have looked around on the forums and I cant seem to find a forum for specific areas of Canada. If this is the wrong place to post I apologies. I have tried google but most of the posts I have found are years old. I am located in the NW of Calgary.

Thanks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    waiparous apparently, personally I don't go out there so I am not sure where there. I say Just join a range like DDSA they are cheap enough and close enough, and then you can shoot restricted if you want.

Following. I'm interested too

CGN Regular
    Who is and where are DDSA ?

CGN Regular
    A neighbor was out camping in waiparous last weekend with his family.

He mentioned the steady rattle of gunfire and booming of binary explosive.

>join a range

Last time I looked into it I saw memberships in the $600+ range? Is that still the case?
    Last edited by Rayleigh_Scattering; 04-14-2021 at 10:37 AM.

CGN frequent flyer Big bore dinosaur's Avatar
    No body shoots gravel pits any more, not the safest to begin with.
    Find a quite spot down the trunk road, with a safe back stop, sand , dirty .. good field of view with no trials in the back ground..
    Have fun, clean up all messes..ALL

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Any common knowledge gravel pits are going to be a zoo, or there will be 'no shooting' signs posted. People will generally be heavily inclined to not share their crown land spots if they've found them. You're better off to drive out to crown land, and start looking for a reasonable spot. Something with a decent hill and no hiking/access trails behind it for a good ways.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big bore dinosaur View Post
    No body shoots gravel pits any more, not the safest to begin with.
    Find a quite spot down the trunk road, with a safe back stop, sand , dirty .. good field of view with no trials in the back ground..
    Have fun, clean up all messes..ALL
    This. Anywhere close to town was probably shut down by now due to ######s leaving garbage everywhere. And people who have found spots tend to keep them quiet because if they don't, the cycle begins again - garbage gets left all over the place, and whoever has jurisdiction over that area eventually closes it to shooting.

In Greater Vancouver they closed the vast majority of places you could go within 2 hours of the city a few years back for this very reason.
    Last edited by Suther; 04-14-2021 at 11:29 AM.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Regular
    Unfortunately, even if 90% shooters clean up after themselves all people will see is the mess left by the other 10%.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayleigh_Scattering View Post
    Unfortunately, even if 90% shooters clean up after themselves all people will see is the mess left by the other 10%.
    Pretty much. CGNers had a big cleanup up Sylvester Road outside Mission, BC. We removed many bags of garbage, filled two trucks with scrap metal, burned a big pile of scrap wood. But we were only able to clean up one single shooting spot, out of many. Like 6 months later they closed the whole area to shooting anyways.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast