Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marlin Dark Series Review

I love my rifle but my issue so far is the peep sight is at its lowest and the bullets still hit 8” high at 50 yards.

I hope I can buy one .357 within this year.

Bought a new 1895 Dark 45/70 in February.Rifle feels solid and the action seems more comfortable than my Marlin JM guide gun,no doubt due to the larger loop and cord.Also purchased a Burris Scout 2-7x32,but want to try the ghost ring sights first.

Covid has shut everthing down again in Ontario,so along with my own health issues,I haven't fired it yet.

I'll post accuracy results with both sights and scope,factory ammo and reloads,at a later date ( hopefully ).
    Last edited by Retriever; 04-17-2021 at 04:06 PM.

awesome review...a few good laughs to boot!
    Canada Post will only insure firearms that are shipped in a hard plastic case with a lock on it. Cost is $2.75 for every $100 of insurance. I will not assume any responsibility for loss or damages by Canada Post. All items are sold AS IS and do not come with any warranty. Payment required within 24 hrs of your commitment to purchase or item will be sold to another member.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer andrew3081's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid_Snake View Post
    Sold it after ten rounds... Sorry mate but there just shyt !! poor design and poor quality
    What’s shyt about it?

My dark 30-30 works fine after a year of shooting.
    Last edited by andrew3081; 04-17-2021 at 04:35 PM.
    What?

Mine’s a tack driver in 30-30

CGN Regular
    Shyte??? Indeed....I bought mine a year ago. I happened to be in exactly the right place at exactly the right time, and having trouble deciding which I wanted; the Henry X or the Marlin dark. I’ve been shooting a Rossi .357 for everything the last 15 years and 20,000 plus rounds. It’s been flawless, and I want another 15 years out of it. I wanted another short carbine, Rossi Triple Dark would have been first choice but no hope for at least 18 months, so it was one of the American guns. I have both makes, no real strong preference, and happened to be in my LGS the day they got both in and were putting them out in the display. I got to handle them side by side. The Marlin is about as perfect balance of any gun I own...like absolutely PERFECT. The wood furniture really gives it presence. The Henry is a beautiful gun, but it feels slightly muzzle heavy. Not a fan of their polymer stock and fore end. Over last summer and fall, I ran 4700 rounds through it. Two failures in the first 9...short stroking. After I figured out what I was doing wrong, it’s been flawless ever since; about a dozen different types & weights of bullets, 6 different powders, everything from powderpuff .38 for my 8 year old granddaughter to Buffalo Bore equivalent 180 gr. Hard cast lead loads....that my granddaughter fired without issue. I have a Vortex Venom on it, and it’s deadly at 100 yds. Very close second to my favorite gun

Business Member
    Slightly off topic, but I think Marlin/Marlington/ Remlin has done a good job over the past several years from the purchase of the Marlin factory machinery to the CNC machining of the Marlin parts.

I’ve bought a couple of picked over Remlins back in 2014 when the rifles were still being sorted out for QC. At least the store versions I purchased were decent upon inspection at the rifle counter to the rifle range. All good experiences. Sold my Remlin Guide gun for a SS JM Guide gun, very good quality for both specimens. I hunted for one season with that SS JM Stamped Guide gun. It was great. But like with anything walnut, I just let it go because me and walnut don’t get along. I’m always hunting in Ontario’s WMU 47 in the wettest and sloppiest and leafiest conditions. When all them leaves fall on top of wet round rocks, the footing is always slippery, and I’m finding myself struggling to stay on my feet. Hence hunting with a plastic Champion stock set on the Marlin 336W.

Hunted with a 336W after adding plastic Champion stock set a few years ago.

Now back in Feb 2021 and March 2021, I’ve purchased 2 Remlins, from Ontario gun shops , sight unseen and I have been pleasantly surprised by the QC. I just sold my 336W BL Laminated wood stock only because it does not get out as much now that the 1895 GSBL in 45-70 gets out a tonne more with my handloads of 300 grainer Campro copper plated flat nosed booollits. The 336W was a great little shooter, but I just did not have as much fun reloading and shooting it as I did with the .45-70. I’m really enjoying the fondle factor of my .45-70 GSBL while watching Netflix and Clint Eastwood in “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!” While cycling the 1895. What’s even just as much fun launching 300 grain booolits is fondling this rifle. It’s well balanced and it points well. I’m so excited to get out for deer season this coming fall , with this 1895 GSBL, I mean.

Anyways, I am always looking around for the DARK rendition of an 1895 in .45-70 to accompany this GSBL, but let’s see how Ruger starts turning out Marlins.... time will tell.

Thanks for the super review of that .30-30 DARK....

Peace Be To Journey!

CGN frequent flyer Liquid_Snake's Avatar
    Not my first or last marlin... Just saying I can’t get past the flaw in the design of you slightly cant the rifle to the ejection side the round falls out. Especially on horseback!! But back to my dark had a terrible fit and finish in .357 The 1/2x28 threads busted off there just not enough meat there. The stock was peeling off from day one. That large loop is just horrible even with that cheap paracord wrap. The side gate was so sharp it peels out brass. I went with another short lever breakdown instead of the hassle to fix the marlin. Just my two cents on them

I love the look of my 1895 in .357. But, after 3 or 4 shots the action locks up solid, can't open the lever at all, tip it upside down and tap it sharply from underneath and then it will open. Problem was the locking bolt and lever fit were sharp edged and not unhooking with downward pressure from the lever, a few minutes with a stone smoothing the sharp edges away got it cycling nicely. Rest of it is okay, I find the peep sight aperture a bit on the large side but run a small Burris scope on it so not an issue for me. I own several JM Marlins in .357Mag and they all work very well, smooth and slick actions. I also had to smooth and polish a few other parts on my dark, the loading gate was sharp, the magazine tube to receiver join was sharp making it difficult to slide in the Cartridges, a few hundred rounds in it feels a lot better and broken in now. Was is worth $1500?, I don't think so but the cool factor has a lot of value for me, everyone that sees it want's to know more. I think it would sell pretty quickly on the EE if it came to it, but teething problems aside, she's a keeper.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast