Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proper Range etiquette?

DT covered it well. Most ranges will give you a walk through/orientation when you become a member. Have fun.
    Check my fishing and hunting videos here: https://www.youtube.com/c/fishingwithbottles

CGN Ultra frequent flyer VICIOUS's Avatar
    Do not Show up with a heard of teenagers then glare at other who will not leave to make room.
    Stay with the new shooter you brought and clear the firearm for sure before a down range.
    If you fail to do the above do not decide to check and clear a firearm after there are people down range.
    If there is a sign in book , use it! It may cover you on the the way home if a event occurs.
    If the range starts to fill up do not be a table hog with your stuff all over the range.
    Be thoughtful of other, give them space and respectful of there privacy in a public setting.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tred View Post
    4) You have every right to shoot your muzzle breaked firearm. We all have ear protection. That said be mindful, it may not be as plesent for the people to your left and right.
    Warn people. The shooter may be doubled up, but not the people beside him.

Saint Lazare, west of Montreal and just east of the Ontario border
    Yip, DT pretty much covered all the basics. What it comes down to is:

Respect, respect, respect......

************************************************** *************************
    Remember that a bad day in the bush is better than a good day at work.

Robert

CGN frequent flyer JohnnyPython's Avatar
    Some things that I've noticed at my outdoor club...

-lots of talkers - I go during the week in the afternoon/evening not many during that time
    -pay attention to safe/hot range - had a guy try to do target change while range was hot
    -no ammo on the pistol safe table - load your mags at the firing line
    -have your guns pointing in a safe direction when you put them in the case - so you don't muzzle anyone
    -if you bring guests with no PAL/RPAL, member is not shooting - member should be beside guest as much as possible
    -no handling of firearms during range safe even in the parking lot

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    as a long time shooter but relatively new range member

unless its a serious safety concern when you give or get feedback don't be a jerk about it

"hey, do you mind doing x instead of y"
    "yah sure, I'll do that right now"

"here are the reasons why x is better than y, hope you have a great day"
    "thanks... you too!"

There are lots of things I'm still learning and if you politely direct me to the more appropriate way, I'll happily do it.
    But courtesy is a two way street.

Now if the recipient of the feedback is a defensive jerk they deserve all that's coming to them ....

Quote Originally Posted by Tred View Post
    Range etiquette will very from person to person, but generally being aware of others goes a long way. Being self aware enough to ask the question your probably be ok.

Couple things from experience.

1) be mindful of where you brass us ending up. Others don't like your hot brass ejecting on their neck. (People are normally receptive)

2) I believe introducing kids to shooting is important, but it has to be about them. Don't show up with children and expect them to watch you shoot. Story; At an outdoor range I had a kid walk around the building into my sight picture. Why dad was busy shooting with buddies and the kids was bored so started wandering and playing like kids do. Also none of the children had hearing protection.

3) As always know the direction of all your barrels.
    Don't have them pointed down range during cease fire.

4) You have every right to shoot your muzzle brake firearm. We all have ear protection. That said be mindful, it may not be as plesent for the people to your left and right on the 12 shot.
    I must need a nap as I don't understand the "all your barrels" in number three

CGN frequent flyer Somerset Bar's Avatar
    You know, I've been a member of various ranges since somewhere around '84.

I'm going to tell you what I think about range etiquette, it's just me, and just my opinion, it's worth exactly as much as anyone else's:

Keep an eye on the old guys. I'm 52, so I'm inching into this category pretty quick. But since I was a teen I've put up with:

a) The crotchety old 1890's alaskan prospector type. The guys that think anything more than muzzle loading is unnecessary, and they'll tell you why. "wheel" guns are high tech, and they don't like em, and they don't like anyone with them.
    b) The retiree: He's got literally all day to spend telling you what's wrong with the world, your guns, "kids nowadays", and how hamburgers used to be bigger than the buns. You'll save a fortune on ammo though, but go home angry or depressed.
    c) The "RO": The guys that didn't even take the 2 hour RO course, but likes to make up rules on the spot, and state them as rules of the range. Now don't ignore actual range officers, but take what these guys say with a grain of salt, and if what they told you seems rubbish, ask the president of the club, that guy or gal should know for sure what the rules are.
    d) The bench resters: These guys will take literally 8 hours to take 3 shots, and will be upset if you so much as look at them when they're setting up (which is all day). If you see tiny wind markers set up all the way downrange, best just go elsewhere.
    e) The fudds: These guys don't shoot at the rifle ranges, but they will come around just to heckle anyone shooting anything except a side by side shotgun. Identify them on skeet day, and just keep clear, nothing good comes of talking to them.

Other guys to look out for:

The "just discovered IPSC" guys.
    The "taking lots of gangsta selfies wit muh gun and muh phone" guys.
    The "are you a Christian?" guys (got my first one of these last week...weird experience).
    The "I am an expert in all guns and all bow before me" <---these guys usually screw up and hurt someone sooner or later, because they know everything and don't want to hear anything from nobody about safety.
    The "There's no competition but I'm wearing my competition shirt for no reason" guy.
    The "Once the brass hits the ground, it's the property of the club, and I'm the club brass collector" guy. <---I have brass catchers on every rifle I own because of these special
    The "brought my entire reloading setup to the range" guys. They probably won't talk to you, but don't bother them unless you want to hear the whole story on how gunpowder was developed.

I find you simply nod or say hello to anyone arriving, or already at the range, and just gauge the response. You'll probably be able to tell immediately what type they are just by their reaction and body language.

As for your own behaviour...don't be any of the above, don't shoot anything you don't want to shoot, take squib loads seriously and let them cook, and don't be a ######

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billbmcleod View Post
    Beat me to it !Where the H you suppose to point then ?

Canada, who would of guessed it. More Specific, B.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by billbmcleod View Post
    Thanks, poorly communicated on my phone, I have tried to reword it.

3) As always, be aware the direction of all your fiream's barrel, including those not in use.

As someone who often brings more then one firearm to the range. I don't want to leave an unused one, even if unloaded, pointing at some one. Never seen an issue of it, but. . . . people are people, never thought I'd see item (2) either.
    Last edited by Tred; 04-21-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast