Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proper Range etiquette?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset Bar View Post
    You know, I've been a member of various ranges since somewhere around '84.

I'm going to tell you what I think about range etiquette, it's just me, and just my opinion, it's worth exactly as much as anyone else's:

Keep an eye on the old guys. I'm 52, so I'm inching into this category pretty quick. But since I was a teen I've put up with:

a) The crotchety old 1890's alaskan prospector type. The guys that think anything more than muzzle loading is unnecessary, and they'll tell you why. "wheel" guns are high tech, and they don't like em, and they don't like anyone with them.
    b) The retiree: He's got literally all day to spend telling you what's wrong with the world, your guns, "kids nowadays", and how hamburgers used to be bigger than the buns. You'll save a fortune on ammo though, but go home angry or depressed.
    c) The "RO": The guys that didn't even take the 2 hour RO course, but likes to make up rules on the spot, and state them as rules of the range. Now don't ignore actual range officers, but take what these guys say with a grain of salt, and if what they told you seems rubbish, ask the president of the club, that guy or gal should know for sure what the rules are.
    d) The bench resters: These guys will take literally 8 hours to take 3 shots, and will be upset if you so much as look at them when they're setting up (which is all day). If you see tiny wind markers set up all the way downrange, best just go elsewhere.
    e) The fudds: These guys don't shoot at the rifle ranges, but they will come around just to heckle anyone shooting anything except a side by side shotgun. Identify them on skeet day, and just keep clear, nothing good comes of talking to them.

Other guys to look out for:

The "just discovered IPSC" guys.
    The "taking lots of gangsta selfies wit muh gun and muh phone" guys.
    The "are you a Christian?" guys (got my first one of these last week...weird experience).
    The "I am an expert in all guns and all bow before me" <---these guys usually screw up and hurt someone sooner or later, because they know everything and don't want to hear anything from nobody about safety.
    The "There's no competition but I'm wearing my competition shirt for no reason" guy.
    The "Once the brass hits the ground, it's the property of the club, and I'm the club brass collector" guy. <---I have brass catchers on every rifle I own because of these special
    The "brought my entire reloading setup to the range" guys. They probably won't talk to you, but don't bother them unless you want to hear the whole story on how gunpowder was developed.

I find you simply nod or say hello to anyone arriving, or already at the range, and just gauge the response. You'll probably be able to tell immediately what type they are just by their reaction and body language.

As for your own behaviour...don't be any of the above, don't shoot anything you don't want to shoot, take squib loads seriously and let them cook, and don't be a ######
    Best advice yet !

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    DT, covered it pretty well, the only thing I would add to the part about trigger locks and keys is consider combination locks for all your locks if you haven't already.

Some basic tools for messing with sights, tightening loose screws and cleaning or clearing a bore obstruction is a good idea.

Somerset's description of some of the characters you will encounter at a busy range is pretty funny.

Be Safe, and have fun!
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

CGN frequent flyer JohnnyPython's Avatar

I'm going to tell you what I think about range etiquette, it's just me, and just my opinion, it's worth exactly as much as anyone else's:

Keep an eye on the old guys. I'm 52, so I'm inching into this category pretty quick. But since I was a teen I've put up with:

a) The crotchety old 1890's alaskan prospector type. The guys that think anything more than muzzle loading is unnecessary, and they'll tell you why. "wheel" guns are high tech, and they don't like em, and they don't like anyone with them.
    b) The retiree: He's got literally all day to spend telling you what's wrong with the world, your guns, "kids nowadays", and how hamburgers used to be bigger than the buns. You'll save a fortune on ammo though, but go home angry or depressed.
    c) The "RO": The guys that didn't even take the 2 hour RO course, but likes to make up rules on the spot, and state them as rules of the range. Now don't ignore actual range officers, but take what these guys say with a grain of salt, and if what they told you seems rubbish, ask the president of the club, that guy or gal should know for sure what the rules are.
    d) The bench resters: These guys will take literally 8 hours to take 3 shots, and will be upset if you so much as look at them when they're setting up (which is all day). If you see tiny wind markers set up all the way downrange, best just go elsewhere.
    e) The fudds: These guys don't shoot at the rifle ranges, but they will come around just to heckle anyone shooting anything except a side by side shotgun. Identify them on skeet day, and just keep clear, nothing good comes of talking to them.

The "are you a Christian?" guys (got my first one of these last week...weird experience).
    The "I am an expert in all guns and all bow before me" <---these guys usually screw up and hurt someone sooner or later, because they know everything and don't want to hear anything from nobody about safety.
    The "There's no competition but I'm wearing my competition shirt for no reason" guy.
    The "Once the brass hits the ground, it's the property of the club, and I'm the club brass collector" guy. <---I have brass catchers on every rifle I own because of these special
    The "brought my entire reloading setup to the range" guys. They probably won't talk to you, but don't bother them unless you want to hear the whole story on how gunpowder was developed.

I find you simply nod or say hello to anyone arriving, or already at the range, and just gauge the response. You'll probably be able to tell immediately what type they are just by their reaction and body language.

As for your own behaviour...don't be any of the above, don't shoot anything you don't want to shoot, take squib loads seriously and let them cook, and don't be a ######
    Perfect description of all the usual suspects haha

Awesome advice thank you! Not going to lie but i laughed at the christian question lol

Appreciate all the great advice gunnutz, thank you!

I had a pretty good laugh reading this and I was able to picture every single one of them with members of my club. The Bench Rester was by far the best.

Thank you very much for this you absolutely nailed it !
    Left wing, right wing, they belong to the same bird.

CGN frequent flyer Northern Amateur's Avatar

This is why I have a 3.5hr drive to my range. Quieter place with 'normal' people as members. We still get the odd 'under achiever' once in a while but it's rare.

CGN frequent flyer
    Here is one that drives me crazy. It happens all the time at Mission. The range goes live at 9:00. Nearly everyone is there, set up, and ready to go. Two minutes before 9:00 someone shows up with an armload of targets that they want to set up at every distance from 25m to 300. By the time they are done it's a quarter after and then the next guy shows up expecting to set up his stuff before we start :-) :-).

Chris.

CGN frequent flyer
    And every range is different. One wants rifles racked pointing upward during ceasefires, another wants them left on the shooting bench with action open, another requires chamber flags. Being in tune with the local version of the rulebook is key to not getting yelled at. The core safety rules are maybe closer to universal, but there are always those little details that can get you spotted as not from around here.

One of the worst calls to make on the line is a malfunction with a live cartridge up the pipe. This can be especially bad if you are the only one there as help is usually needed. The last time it happened with me it was a 45 ACP that failed to go fully into battery due to a bad crimp on the round. This was the first round and when the hammer did not drop i kept it pointed down range and dropped the mag out. When most shooting had died off I raised my hand and the RO came to my assistance and called a cease fire. Everyone unloaded made their guns safe and stepped back from the firing. They did circle around behind me and the RO though and offered advice. The seasoned RO came with a piece of 2x4 and a hammer and he tapped the slide ahead the few thou it needed. It seems the lead bullet was up into the lands and would not allow the slide to pull back but tapping it further allowed the interlocks to line up and it fired. With approval of the group I tried one more round and had the same result. Easy to fix this time. So I boxed my gun and went home to re-do my reloads.
    Last edited by billbmcleod; 04-22-2021 at 11:18 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast