Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proper Range etiquette?

Proper Range etiquette?

Hi all,

Looking at getting a membership at a range here in BC. Does anyone have any advice for range etiquette? I know to clean up brass after myself, obey all range rules etc.... but little odd things like do i need to bring my own targets+stapler+corrugated plastic sheets? Do you allow others to see what you're shooting like if someone likes one of m rifles and asks about it? How long is an average shooting session? Am i okay to bring my own food/water if its a long day?

Any tips/info would be appreciated
    Last edited by Cmaiden39; 04-21-2021 at 12:16 AM.

If it's an indoor range, eating and drinking are probably not advisable unless you don't mind high lead level.

Bring your own targets, stapler, paper clip and miscellaneous supplies goes without saying.

If you're the first one in, switch on the red light to indicate the range is hot. Switch to green if you're the last one out.

You don't need to show others what you're shooting unless cease fire is called, then unload open slide, open bolt, open cylinder, open whatever and leave the firearm pointing down range on the table.

Otherwise, just follow what you were taught in the PAL and club level safety rules.

OP, I think you have the basics and you should be fine. Don’t take any of my pointers personnally but know that all of them are personnal stories no friend of a friend BS.

One on my pet peeves are the "touchers". Happens at outdoor ranges mostly. Don’t be one of those people who just walk to someone’s table and while asking, if asking at all "can I see this" proceed to grab it and look at it like it’s on display. Don’t touch what it isn’t yours before you asked and were given the permission.

On the same topic, if you ask another shooter about a specific gun he has, he will likely offer you at some point to try it. Don’t be a jerk. Unless you’re told otherwhise, go easy on the ammo. Also, keep the ninja drills for your stuff, again, unless specified.

Talking... oh god ! I swear some people go to the range to talk to people, again outdoor range guy here. Don’t be that guy that goes from spot to spot to see what people are shooting and engage with them whenever you feel like it. You’re done shooting and you want to argue between Savage and Remington ? You do that away from the line. If one of my firearms struck your interest, the cease fire/target change is a perfect moment to chat but be gone when shooting resume unless I invited you to shoot it (which is likely to happen and yes you can "empty the clip" :P)

*this one my not apply to all clubs: arrive ready ! Don’t be the guy who takes up a lane and who spends more time sorting his sh!t out than shooting. You are taking someone’s lane while reloading 15 magazines and looking for your keys to unlock your locks. Have your keys on you, fill your magazines at home, make sure you have enough staplers, patches, ammo and other supplies and in decent quantity. Don’t be that one guy that constantly ask people "hey can I borrow this, can I borrow that" all the time and that includes ammo. Remember the blurb about the talking ? Applies here too. Come to the range ready, it is human to forget, but wait when people are not busy to ask and don’t just grab stuff because last time I gave you a target.

What else...

Targets: bring them and bring a lot. Some range don’t allow silhouettes, their rules, so be ready with alternative targets. Also if the gun club you belong to don’t have target retrieving system, put more than one target up. I literally fill the 4x4 styrofoam board with targets that way I can shoot until the next target change. As a range officer, I will not stop the line so Mister Only One Target can go change it every 3 minutes. Also bring something to see your impacts (or shoot bigger calibers) because you ain’t walking up and down the line to see where you hit.

Garbage: you came with it, you leave with it and that includes your targets. The club I belong to is on Valcartier’s base and we have a garbage can that we used to bring up on the line. Until I got tired of howling 2-3 extra large garbage bags filled with hulls, brass, targets, half full coffee cup and name it. It leaked once and that was it. Most clubs will have a better setup but I still brung everything I brought with me. Don’t be that "I have an emergency I have to leave" guy that just leaves everything behind and tel people to keep the brass...

Brass: I bought the ammo, the brass is mine. If you want it, ask for it. Don’t try to catch them mid flight still hot or don’t pretend your right sided ejection firearm ejected so much brass on the left that I can feel your presence at my feet collecting my brass...

Don’t act like you own the place or thus type of attitude. When I’m a RO I always meet the new comers on the line and ask them sone questions. I don’t do it to be a d!ck, I do it to know who I’m dealing with. Are you a newbie or seasonned shooter ? New member or old timer ? What are you going to shoot/do ? This will affect where you’ll be on my line (I keep new members and newbies close to me). If it’s a familiy day with kids, you may not be as dynamic as if it was only you and I on the range and so on.

Last but not least: the coaches! Don’t become one, don’t be one. We always look to better ourselves, but it doesn’t mean I want you breathing down my neck telling me how to do stuff. Maybe I just feel like wasting ammo today, maybe I’m not working on accuracy or speeed.

I realize I sound like a crusty old bastard, but this common sense is just as important as the range rules and it is often a trial/error learning for some. As a RO, you get to see it in another perspective but it’s just a bigger version of the shooter version. I saw one, maybe two events where safety was a concern. Everything else is just things that people do. I love shooting but I have very limited time so I don’t like to waste it or when someone wasted it. Try to arrive as prepared as you can with all the gear you need and follow the range rules and all should be good for you.

Have a nice one

DT
    Left wing, right wing, they belong to the same bird.

DT summed it up very well. People come to primarily shoot but most do like some social interaction at the right time. I always make sure that I have something to drink and some munchies (wash hands before eating lol!) and dress for the weather in layers. I shoot outdoors and the range conditions can vary so proper footwear really helps. You really want to set yourself up quickly and efficiently but make it so you are comfortable. You will get used to setting up after a while. Good shooting enjoy yourself because that’s why you’re there.

Quote Originally Posted by DT741 View Post
    OP, I think you have the basics and you should be fine. Don’t take any of my pointers personnally but know that all of them are personnal stories no friend of a friend BS.

One on my pet peeves are the "touchers". Happens at outdoor ranges mostly. Don’t be one of those people who just walk to someone’s table and while asking, if asking at all "can I see this" proceed to grab it and look at it like it’s on display. Don’t touch what it isn’t yours before you asked and were given the permission.

On the same topic, if you ask another shooter about a specific gun he has, he will likely offer you at some point to try it. Don’t be a jerk. Unless you’re told otherwhise, go easy on the ammo. Also, keep the ninja drills for your stuff, again, unless specified.

Talking... oh god ! I swear some people go to the range to talk to people, again outdoor range guy here. Don’t be that guy that goes from spot to spot to see what people are shooting and engage with them whenever you feel like it. You’re done shooting and you want to argue between Savage and Remington ? You do that away from the line. If one of my firearms struck your interest, the cease fire/target change is a perfect moment to chat but be gone when shooting resume unless I invited you to shoot it (which is likely to happen and yes you can "empty the clip" :P)

*this one my not apply to all clubs: arrive ready ! Don’t be the guy who takes up a lane and who spends more time sorting his sh!t out than shooting. You are taking someone’s lane while reloading 15 magazines and looking for your keys to unlock your locks. Have your keys on you, fill your magazines at home, make sure you have enough staplers, patches, ammo and other supplies and in decent quantity. Don’t be that one guy that constantly ask people "hey can I borrow this, can I borrow that" all the time and that includes ammo. Remember the blurb about the talking ? Applies here too. Come to the range ready, it is human to forget, but wait when people are not busy to ask and don’t just grab stuff because last time I gave you a target.

What else...

Targets: bring them and bring a lot. Some range don’t allow silhouettes, their rules, so be ready with alternative targets. Also if the gun club you belong to don’t have target retrieving system, put more than one target up. I literally fill the 4x4 styrofoam board with targets that way I can shoot until the next target change. As a range officer, I will not stop the line so Mister Only One Target can go change it every 3 minutes. Also bring something to see your impacts (or shoot bigger calibers) because you ain’t walking up and down the line to see where you hit.

Garbage: you came with it, you leave with it and that includes your targets. The club I belong to is on Valcartier’s base and we have a garbage can that we used to bring up on the line. Until I got tired of howling 2-3 extra large garbage bags filled with hulls, brass, targets, half full coffee cup and name it. It leaked once and that was it. Most clubs will have a better setup but I still brung everything I brought with me. Don’t be that "I have an emergency I have to leave" guy that just leaves everything behind and tel people to keep the brass...

Brass: I bought the ammo, the brass is mine. If you want it, ask for it. Don’t try to catch them mid flight still hot or don’t pretend your right sided ejection firearm ejected so much brass on the left that I can feel your presence at my feet collecting my brass...

Don’t act like you own the place or thus type of attitude. When I’m a RO I always meet the new comers on the line and ask them sone questions. I don’t do it to be a d!ck, I do it to know who I’m dealing with. Are you a newbie or seasonned shooter ? New member or old timer ? What are you going to shoot/do ? This will affect where you’ll be on my line (I keep new members and newbies close to me). If it’s a familiy day with kids, you may not be as dynamic as if it was only you and I on the range and so on.

Last but not least: the coaches! Don’t become one, don’t be one. We always look to better ourselves, but it doesn’t mean I want you breathing down my neck telling me how to do stuff. Maybe I just feel like wasting ammo today, maybe I’m not working on accuracy or speeed.

I realize I sound like a crusty old bastard, but this common sense is just as important as the range rules and it is often a trial/error learning for some. As a RO, you get to see it in another perspective but it’s just a bigger version of the shooter version. I saw one, maybe two events where safety was a concern. Everything else is just things that people do. I love shooting but I have very limited time so I don’t like to waste it or when someone wasted it. Try to arrive as prepared as you can with all the gear you need and follow the range rules and all should be good for you.

Have a nice one

DT

Wow! Very informative! Thank you so much! Keeping alot of what you've said in mind.

CGN frequent flyer
    COVID has been awesome for having a lane to yourself and nobody coming close to bother you, at least as long as the range was still open under reduced-occupancy and no-interaction rules.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Remember Doc K's advice:

"Always know where you're at. Always try to look cool. If you don't know where you're at, try to look cool." - Doc K

Virtually every range and virtually every club will have it's own rules, it's own customs, it's own 'etiquette'.

If you assume anything, it's liable to be wrong. How can you know the etiquette when you've never been there before? (You can't.) If you walk in with a gun, without knowing the local etiquette, you're liable to offend somebody.

Generally, I tell people to leave their guns and gear in the car, go in without them, introduce yourself, then say something like "I'm new here. How do you guys do things?"

If you do it that way, they'll be happy to show you the ropes, as it were, and - if you listen - you'll soon fit in like an old pair of socks.
    Last edited by Wendell; 04-21-2021 at 09:45 AM.
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

CGN frequent flyer Northern Amateur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DT741 View Post

What else...

Have a nice one

DT
    This. Crusty old bastard 2.0!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bigbubba's Avatar
    Act like you are at a strip club..............don't touch it unless you are buying it...

Otherwise, as already noted, bring your own targets, stapler, staples, binos, spotting scope, sand bags etc
    Take your garbage home with you, pick up your brass, leave the place looking better than you found it.

Canada, who would of guessed it. More Specific, B.C.
    Range etiquette will very from person to person, but generally being aware of others goes a long way. Being self aware enough to ask the question your probably be ok.

Couple things from experience.

1) be mindful of where you brass us ending up. Others don't like your hot brass ejecting on their neck. (People are normally receptive)

2) I believe introducing kids to shooting is important, but it has to be about them. Don't show up with children and expect them to watch you shoot. Story; At an outdoor range I had a kid walk around the building into my sight picture. Why dad was busy shooting with buddies and the kids was bored so started wandering and playing like kids do. Also none of the children had hearing protection.

3) As always, know the direction of all your fiream's barrel, including those not in use.
    Don't have them pointed down range during cease fire.

4) You have every right to shoot your muzzle brake firearm. We all have ear protection. That said be mindful, it may not be as plesent for the people to your left and right on the 12 shot.
    Last edited by Tred; 04-21-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast