Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Proper Range etiquette?

Lot of new shooters, especially first time handgunners, lately so this thread deserves a bump.

I usually test new firearms, work up reloads and check my handgun sights at an indoor range that's pretty packed full of renters and once-every-half-year shooters. This time it was to see if that Norinco Olympia really could eat all the 22 ammo I can't use in my more finicky rimfires.

If it says don't shoot the thing. Don't shoot the thing.

At the indoor range there is a big sign warning shooters that if you hit the steel target hangers, you will be fined. Well I guess new member missed that part of her orientation and decides it would be cool pick up a 12ga with birdshot to blast her targets off the clipper once she filled them full of 9mm holes. A few pellets ricocheted back and hit my hand, leaving a cut. Not pleased. Told the shooter about it and got deer in headlights eyes and no response. Reported to RO.

Pick up your brass, especially if it's a smooth concrete floor

The dang things are slippery. If there's a broom, sweep your brass or pick it up if you reload. Brass generally ejects right and you're leaving a bunch of banana peels for the shooter next to you.

If they're outshooting your groups, they probably don't need shooting tips

It's nice getting the girlfriend or wife involved and taking her to the range for the first time, and probably somewhat embarrassing when she outshoots you. Bruised ego, I get it. But when that happens, no need to look around for someone more teachable to share your knowledge unless they are asking. Was funny to watch/listen to though.
    Oh hello. Are you picking up your brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Tred View Post
    3) As always, know the direction of all your fiream's barrel, including those not in use.
    Don't have them pointed down range during cease fire.
    Thanks! didn't think of this one (I'm totally new to firearms ownership). Where should we have the barrels point towards at times like that? I was taught to clear the guns and put them down but in this case, where should the barrel be pointed at?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Do everything DT741 mentioned, and you'll be better then 95% of members at most ranges. Great advice.

Also, familiarize yourself with the range rules for the particular range you join. Actually read them. So many people break rules and claim to not know they were rules, and some people think things are rules that are not. Good to know what's what.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    A biggie is if you don't know or are in doubt , ASK !

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcats View Post
    A biggie is if you don't know or are in doubt , ASK !
    What DT said, but this..

It's okay not to know all.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

Very informative (and funny !) thread.
    Thank you all !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234