Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: When and What was the First Gun you Shot

12ga Mossberg 7or8 yrs old. Dad was standing behind me for recoil and shot at an old rotted duck blind long since abandoned on the property we hunted on.
    If it looks stupid, but it works, then it isn't stupid.

11 years old Duck hunting with my Dad. Shot my first duck with a .410 shell through Stevens O/U .410/.22.

CGN Regular
    Cooey 600, with Winchester label. Used it to hunt cans and paper. Still have it, still use it 32 years later. Reliably feeds and ejects everything.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    My father's Anschutz 22 when I was 6 or 7 years old, shot a gopher out the window of his car!
    8 years now and nothing is built, nothing is back and nothing is better.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar

I was five years old. I was staying with my grandparents at their farm, and one day my grandpa took me out back and taught me to shoot with an old Marlin single-shot bolt-action .22. Not long after, he made a smaller stock for the gun (rough, but it worked) so my brother and I could hold it more easily. I was hooked on shooting from that day onward. I still have the gun in my basement. A few weeks ago, I took it out to my grandfather's farm for a nostalgic shoot. Total piece of junk, but the perfect gun to learn to shoot since it's a single shot, and the hammer doesn't cock when the bolt is opened -- it has to be cocked manually afterward. Had a lot of fun shooting it again.

A Cooey model 64. My dad owned that .22 as well as a 30-06. I was probably 7 or 8 when he took my brother and I out to the range and let us fire the .22. I remember the range about 5 or 6 miles out of town was in a sad state of disrepair and very much unkept, but it had bench rests and a backstop for placing targets. We mostly used empty ammo boxes and other debris that was laying around.
    My brother ended up with both the guns. I borrowed the Cooey a little over a year ago, disassembled it, and did a thorough cleaning of it. The action works a lot better now, or so I hear. My brother used to hunt years ago, but hasn't now in at least a decade. Hopefully one day I'll get both rifles, but for now, they're safe queens rarely seeing the light of day; and never an open range to discharge a round or two.

Savage Model 24, .22 over 20 gauge. Shot tin cans with the .22 in a gravel pit on lunch break while out blacktail deer hunting near Chilliwack BC, in 1968. Was with my dad and older brother (both gone now), when I was about 8 years old. Got my first rifle, a Mossberg .22 target gun, a year later and have been a firearm owner ever since.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    A single shot .22LR bolt action when I was 5 years old.
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

Cooey 600 with the winchester markings. Was a friends family rifle. Friend and I went out back with it and another 22. Wuth some pop cans and water bottles. Was around 20 years ago I was about 10 years old. Sight was off at the time so we had to aim off to hit the water bottles and pop cans. I hit a few but was awe struck when my friend hit two at once that we just happened to have lined up. I just got to see it again the other day after all that time. Quite a good looking rifle. Well cared for.