Thread: PAL Application - Letter of Good Conduct

PAL Application - Letter of Good Conduct

Hello,

I just received an e-mail from the CFO of BC regarding my PAL application status. As I had been working in Hong Kong for the past 5 years, a letter of good conduct from HK is to be provided before they can process my application.

The CFO suggests:
    "As you have been working outside Canada for the past 5 years, we do require a letter of good conduct for that period.
    I suggest contacting the nearest Notary Public Office and request assistance from them. We receive these certificates from Hong Kong quite frequently and I am sure they can assist you."

However, I have contacted 5 notary public offices today. None of them have experience with such service.

Currently HK police website posted: The issuance of Certificates of No Criminal Conviction (CNCC) is a charged service provided by the Hong Kong Police Force which is solely in connection with a person's application for various types of visa, such as visit, student or resident visa, or for adoption of children. Applications for the Certificate for any other purposes will not be accepted.

I hope someone with the same experience can shed me some light.

Thanks so much in advance.

Alan

CGN frequent flyer
    You contacted Notary Publics here on in HK?

I have no experience with any of this, but just did a quick search and came up with some companies that can help you get this. Here is one of them

https://www.mapleleafnotary.cn/en/hk...e-attestation/

Not sure if the No Criminal Conduct Document is what you need, but found this too. Seems like there is more info on obtaining CNCC

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...how/china.html
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

CGN Regular
    This is what happens when govt employees make up their own rules and requirements.

Has anyone else been requested to do this..is this a policy of CFO?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer OneBarfly's Avatar
    My Livingroom Office: Ont - Marshes of the east
    I have no experience in these particular circumstances; however, I'd would imagine the HK Police clearance letter is sufficient and what your CFO is looking for, so you would likely need to apply for that yourself. Afterwards, a local Notary in Canada can stamp and certify as many "True copies" of that document that you may need to distribute (likely only one is required for this purpose).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer J.Hancock's Avatar
    None of their business why you need it, if you didn't commit crime and need proof AND are willing to pay to for clerical services, who TF are they to say no?! Gotdmn communist bastards.

Tell them you plan on adopting, just don't tell them what you're adopting.
    "When truth and fairness differs from what is law, better to follow truth and fairness."

HK Police clearance letter is Exactly what you need.
    I'm citizen of a FREE country where self defence is a CRIME ??

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    Since when is a letter of good conduct a requirement if you have lived outside Canada? Did I miss that somewhere?
    I suck at responding to PMs. Don't take it personally.

Thanks for everyone's input and advice.

I moved back to Canada from HK in 2019. All the notary public offices contacted are in Vancouver BC.

The requirement is under PAL application section C - Personal History: If you have been a resident of Canada for less than 5 years, you must obtain a letter of good conduct issued by the local or state police of your previous country of residence.

It makes sense. You will likely have to pay as governments dont do anything for free, but HK police will likely need to provide the cert and then notarized