Thread: Brand new firearm storage - in box

Brand new firearm storage - in box

Hello all,

Basic question on how long you can store a new firearm in it’s original packaging.

I bought a brand new Ruger 10/22 that came in a plastic bag, contained in a plastic case. This is how it was shipped from the factory. Can I reasonably expect to be able to leave it in that state for a considerable amount of time and not worry about the condition deteriorating? If so, for how long? I assume these firearms could sit in warehouses and dealers for some time until sold.

I guess my question is, at what point would I need to clean and oil a firearm that hasn’t been used, that was factory packed and delivered? I won’t get a chance to use it in the near future, so just packing it away in my basement as-is is my plan. The rifle fas the composite stock, if that matters at all in this regard.

Thanks,
    Otto

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    If it's like the ones I've got from Ruger it will have a thin layer of a protective coating on it . Hopefully your basement isn't damp ! It should be good for storage for some time (months) , you have to remember that they may sit in a retailers back room for some time before being sold ! Also don't forget to throw a trigger lock on it !

Just like Blackcats said...watch the dampness. You can also put in some small packs of silica gel or buy a bigger pack that comes in a oven-proof pouch, throw it in the oven as per instructions for 2-3 hours, wait for it to cool, and then put it in the box with the gun if space permits (if not and there is a foam insert you can cut the foam). That will at least ward away the moisture / humidity for a while. I did this for a while at my old house when my gun cabinet was full. And as Blackcats said, put a trigger lock on it. But the 10/22s (at least mine years ago) should come with this big pad lock with this massive metal piece thing that goes into the action and then the padlock clips onto it.
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto Matyd View Post
    Hello all,

Basic question on how long you can store a new firearm in it’s original packaging.

I bought a brand new Ruger 10/22 that came in a plastic bag, contained in a plastic case. This is how it was shipped from the factory. Can I reasonably expect to be able to leave it in that state for a considerable amount of time and not worry about the condition deteriorating? If so, for how long? I assume these firearms could sit in warehouses and dealers for some time until sold.

I guess my question is, at what point would I need to clean and oil a firearm that hasn’t been used, that was factory packed and delivered? I won’t get a chance to use it in the near future, so just packing it away in my basement as-is is my plan. The rifle fas the composite stock, if that matters at all in this regard.

Thanks,
    Otto
    Temperature and relative humitity are critical elements; a constant temperature with low humitity is preferable. And many (if not most) basements fall down in that regard.

Maybe your basement is exceptional.
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

You can always guarantee success for long term storage for peanuts.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...ags-for-Pistol
    LEST WE FORGET
    I Will Not Seal My Fate Without a Fight, If You See Me Running, I Run To The Front.
    Member of NFA CCFR CSSA NRA DTOM CATI LEFTY MAFIA

Finished basement so temperature doesn’t fluctuate much, and living around 4000’ above sea level on the eastern side of the Rockies seems to keep the humidity in check. But I will still consider the silica or other anti-moisture products.

Those bags look like a great idea 1ABNDT. They will go on the shopping list.

Thanks everyone,
    Otto