View Poll Results: To paint or not to paint, that is the question.

Voters
384. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the paint potentially ugly and affordable

102 26.56%
  • Up the prices to make it look good

9 2.34%
  • Raw dog metal it, don't even bother, lower the price save time and $$

273 71.09%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: The question: to paint or not to paint. . . pay more to paint?

I am a happy customer or yours, and I voted raw dog for the steel targets. I have to paint one side of the targets anyways after each shooting, so I am already invested in spray cans of paint. I can paint the back once to rust-proof it, a few seconds worth of my time, and no issue with my paint supply since I need it anyway as a consumable.

So far I only shoot long range in non-winter seasons, so I am painting targets white, so I have to paint over your beautiful orange anyway.

I have not bought the target stand brackets for the 2x2 or 2x4 because I make tripods and crossbar stands out of poles from the forest. I think its nice that the stand brackets come painted because they are not intended to be shot at directly. However if I were to buy them I would be happy to spray paint them myself and save money on the purchase price and taxes.

Personally I would rather get it for a few bucks cheaper and paint it myself. A $5 can of paint goes a long way and I could care less if its perfect.
    Id Rather Be Judged By 12 Than Carried By 6

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiankeeper View Post
    Your going to shoot it... Im confused on who who complains about paint on a target... I get it you need a good shot for your Instagram picture but it looks a lot better when its shot up. Shows you can actually shoot! Lol
    Raw dog it, save yourself the time and effort and the consumer and extra buck or so.
    Target/ base / stand included in this argument, but they are all designed to take shrapnel/ and hits as well. Dueling tree's, Sawhorse stands etc, all take hits from shrapnel/ spray and can handle the odd shot or two and at most need a clean up no matter what after useage, although they don't 'need' it. Rust takes a really, really long time to destroy steel unless your sitting it in salt water or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Biologist View Post
    I am a happy customer or yours, and I voted raw dog for the steel targets. I have to paint one side of the targets anyways after each shooting, so I am already invested in spray cans of paint. I can paint the back once to rust-proof it, a few seconds worth of my time, and no issue with my paint supply since I need it anyway as a consumable.

So far I only shoot long range in non-winter seasons, so I am painting targets white, so I have to paint over your beautiful orange anyway.

I have not bought the target stand brackets for the 2x2 or 2x4 because I make tripods and crossbar stands out of poles from the forest. I think its nice that the stand brackets come painted because they are not intended to be shot at directly. However if I were to buy them I would be happy to spray paint them myself and save money on the purchase price and taxes.
    Thanks man Good to know.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    If there was an option at checkout for raw metal at $X price and painted targets at $X+Y price I could almost guarantee the raw targets would out sell the more expensive painted ones 10-1.

Only time it makes sense to me to sell painted targets is if they were in a store and you wanted them to look pretty for display.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rugerman's Avatar
    The color i want to use usually doesn't match the targets anyway. You paint them a different color and often. So i would go with raw.
    Banning legal handguns is nothing more than a victory for symbolism over substance, for activity over achievement.
    © National Post 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman View Post
    The color i want to use usually doesn't match the targets anyway. You paint them a different color and often. So i would go with raw.
    Stand included in that?

Raw is the way to go, especially when you're splitting time between painting and doing something more useful. These things are going to have the paint shot off immediately, so why waste your energy?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer KRider's Avatar
    I mean, I'm gonna paint it after I shot it to #### anyway, might as well be raw. Plus saves you guys the effort in eliminating a manufacturing process step or 2

CGN Regular TragicallyHipGrandpa's Avatar
    Raw. Skip the paint altogether and let them paint it themselves to their heart’s content if that’s what tickles them.
    Keep it simple stupid works for me.
    No dress rehearsal; this is our life.
    Member CCFR, NFA, CSSA