Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D-Day Display from the Canadian Historical Arms Museum

Great display!
    "You can get more done with a kind word and a gun, than you can with a kind word alone." ~ Al Capone
    CSAAA ADFGA

Those are evil Military guns. The next oic!

Alberta for now, back to the Yukon someday
    That's fantastic!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Such a shame that display couldn't have a BREN, a BAR, a STEN, a Thompson or a MP40... Would've been oodles of them around even today if it weren't for some very ridiculous laws.

Uber Super GunNutz davide montini's Avatar
    Nice to see
    viva la FICA ..E va fan culo!!!!!..Ontario government is like the nazis ..too many family and friends in the government...it's who you know and blow

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    very cool, thanx for sharing
    never gets old

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    Two rifles, a uniform and one pistol to represent Canada

Two rifles a uniform and one revolver to represent Britain

Two rifles a uniform and one pistol to represent the USA

Two rifles a uniform and one pistol to represent Germany
    I picked that part up as a reasonably knowledgeable collector. Without labels or graphics for context, this is a failed historical display.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

Way cool!
    A salute to our troops as I was an active reservist!

Quote Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
    I picked that part up as a reasonably knowledgeable collector. Without labels or graphics for context, this is a failed historical display.
    Feel free to post your photos of your display. I personnelly thinks it's a wonderful display

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BkSmithca View Post
    Feel free to post your photos of your display. I personnelly thinks it's a wonderful display
    I'm not disputing the artifacts; the problem is how they are not described. To repeat myself, without labels or graphics, the display doesn't inform or educate. I don't see a single display panel, only artifacts. A mob of crusty well-read collectors will gush and coo about the differences between the No.4 Mk I and Mk I*, but a 25-yr old new shooter without benefit of a large library will have no clue what is happening behind the glass.

Who is this display intended to inform? In my opinion this display entirely misses its objective audience. Conventional bricks and mortar museums are choking. DDay museums in Northern France are regularly closed and the collections dispersed. Today's visitors are much less likely to travel long distances only to be stopped 12" from the objects and only press their noses against a glass. The interwebs teaches so much, and visitors are more interested in the sensory experience of history. Think Ontario Regiment Museum's Acquino weekend, think Bovington's Tank Days, think Old Fort Henry, think Ceremonial Guard, think Canadian Warplane Heritage's flying Lancaster vs the National Aviation and Space Museum's static Lanc' display, etc.

What is my background? Degree in history, compiler of annual military unit historical report, editor of annual journal, small-A archivist, small-M museologist, and volunteer with a historic military vehicle collection ( www.coldwarcollection.com ).
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast