D-Day Display from the Canadian Historical Arms Museum

SelectRyan

Business Member Rep
You won't see a display like this too often.

Currently on display in store.

Visit the Canadian Historical Arms Museum's website to learn more about it: https://canadianarms.ca/

The display in store changes monthly. The D-Day display will be on display for a week.

The Canadian Historical Arms Museum is currently raising funds for a second display cabinet at Select Shooting Supplies. CLICK HERE for details.

IMG_9573.jpg

057545C6-BC38-4966-89BF-7D5C53828C67.jpg

Attachments

• 057545C6-BC38-4966-89BF-7D5C53828C67.jpg
    057545C6-BC38-4966-89BF-7D5C53828C67.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,693
  • IMG_9573.jpg
    IMG_9573.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,700
I'm going to set down my tall cup of Mountain Dew, push my glasses back up my nose and ask, why four No.4s when there are twos of the other models? I can understand a No.4 Mk I* for a Canadian context and a No.4 (T), probably a Long Branch, but without explanation cards or context, a layman would only see an array of bolt actions?

Got the email, can we come in and see it? I was hoping to grab a few stickers with the cash most stores won't take right now.

I don't think we would have changed the display out if no one could see it. ;-)

We sell essential items, just like other retailers in the area who have been open the whole time, with limited capacity and masks required.

I'm going to set down my tall cup of Mountain Dew, push my glasses back up my nose and ask, why four No.4s when there are twos of the other models? I can understand a No.4 Mk I* for a Canadian context and a No.4 (T), probably a Long Branch, but without explanation cards or context, a layman would only see an array of bolt actions?

Two rifles, a uniform and one pistol to represent Canada

Two rifles a uniform and one revolver to represent Britain

Two rifles a uniform and one pistol to represent the USA

Two rifles a uniform and one pistol to represent Germany

Last edited:
Such a shame that display couldn't have a BREN, a BAR, a STEN, a Thompson or a MP40... Would've been oodles of them around even today if it weren't for some very ridiculous laws.

Two rifles, a uniform and one pistol to represent Canada

Two rifles a uniform and one revolver to represent Britain

Two rifles a uniform and one pistol to represent the USA

Two rifles a uniform and one pistol to represent Germany

I picked that part up as a reasonably knowledgeable collector. Without labels or graphics for context, this is a failed historical display.

Feel free to post your photos of your display. I personnelly thinks it's a wonderful display

I'm not disputing the artifacts; the problem is how they are not described. To repeat myself, without labels or graphics, the display doesn't inform or educate. I don't see a single display panel, only artifacts. A mob of crusty well-read collectors will gush and coo about the differences between the No.4 Mk I and Mk I*, but a 25-yr old new shooter without benefit of a large library will have no clue what is happening behind the glass.

Who is this display intended to inform? In my opinion this display entirely misses its objective audience. Conventional bricks and mortar museums are choking. DDay museums in Northern France are regularly closed and the collections dispersed. Today's visitors are much less likely to travel long distances only to be stopped 12" from the objects and only press their noses against a glass. The interwebs teaches so much, and visitors are more interested in the sensory experience of history. Think Ontario Regiment Museum's Acquino weekend, think Bovington's Tank Days, think Old Fort Henry, think Ceremonial Guard, think Canadian Warplane Heritage's flying Lancaster vs the National Aviation and Space Museum's static Lanc' display, etc.

What is my background? Degree in history, compiler of annual military unit historical report, editor of annual journal, small-A archivist, small-M museologist, and volunteer with a historic military vehicle collection ( www.coldwarcollection.com ).

Back
Top Bottom