Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Liberals invoke S.39, refuse to provide evidence

CGN Regular
    Honestly Who here is surprised.

I’m going to preface all of this by saying I have no legal training, so everything I say here take with a grain of salt. Second, I’m typing on my phone, so please forgive any typos.

I decided to see if I could find a more detailed case study of Section 39 of the Evidence Act being used, and came across this example regarding the legal proceedings between the Tsleil-Waututh Nation and the Government of Canada during the trans-mountain pipeline dispute. (See here)

From my understanding, S39 is invoked regarding specific documents requested, in the above case it was regarding two documents, one being a proposal to table a meeting to review the possibility of using an OIC, and the second being a letter regarding the possibility of tabling an OIC.

First, I would be curious to see what documents specifically the Judge was requesting that are now being withheld due to S39, as to me I don’t think you can invoke S39 for something as ambiguous as “all evidence”.

Second, it is quite worrying to me seeing another example of S39 being used to disrupt legal investigations into the usage of an IOC. In my opinion, S39 and an IOC used in tandem gives any federal government the ability to pass legislation with little to no legal grounds or reason. It’s very worrying to see these two things being used in seemingly unrelated cases.

Does anyone know when the trans-mountain pipeline lawsuit started? I’m wondering if the lawsuit was fought under the Conservative or the Liberal government.

CGN frequent flyer
    Post 1300!!

Back to the discussion…

This is my shocked face.

(Sarcasm off now)
    peace..through superior firepower!!

That is truly disturbing . It clearly shows that the Liberal leadership has no respect for our courts , laws or rule of law . Trudeau and his lackeys have always been greasy , but this is a new low . A total disregard of the courts , I can't say I'm surprised .

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    cowards

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsyTy View Post
    I’m going to preface all of this by saying I have no legal training, so everything I say here take with a grain of salt. Second, I’m typing on my phone, so please forgive any typos.

I decided to see if I could find a more detailed case study of Section 39 of the Evidence Act being used, and came across this example regarding the legal proceedings between the Tsleil-Waututh Nation and the Government of Canada during the trans-mountain pipeline dispute. (See here)

From my understanding, S39 is invoked regarding specific documents requested, in the above case it was regarding two documents, one being a proposal to table a meeting to review the possibility of using an OIC, and the second being a letter regarding the possibility of tabling an OIC.

First, I would be curious to see what documents specifically the Judge was requesting that are now being withheld due to S39, as to me I don’t think you can invoke S39 for something as ambiguous as “all evidence”.

Second, it is quite worrying to me seeing another example of S39 being used to disrupt legal investigations into the usage of an IOC. In my opinion, S39 and an IOC used in tandem gives any federal government the ability to pass legislation with little to no legal grounds or reason. It’s very worrying to see these two things being used in seemingly unrelated cases.

Does anyone know when the trans-mountain pipeline lawsuit started? I’m wondering if the lawsuit was fought under the Conservative or the Liberal government.
    What the notice submitted is saying, is that the Privy Clerk of the Council of Canada has reviewed the requested documents and has determined that it constitutes a cabinet confidence and thus the aforementioned documents are sealed under s.39 of the Canada Evidence Act.

It technically isn't a blanket ban on "all evidence" just that all the requested documents are cabinet confidence. The applicants are free to try and request different information if they think it would help their case, but they covered nearly anything you could ask the government for in their requests.

I always wondered what some of the crossroads of politics looked like... Where the common sense meets the total lack thereof, and eventually is covered up with the typical baloney. Except this time we've got a crystal ball.
    Thanks for all you're doing, guys.

This is exactly what I've expected all along - zero evidence, zero democracy, and zero transparency, just shows how the liberals are manipulating the whole system so they can do whatever they want to.
    Only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a BIGGER gun

CGN Regular
    So much talking and time waist for a corrupted system. The time for words is expiring…

Well that’s a ####ing joke how nice the government has the choice to withhold evidence if this does not prove how corrupt Canada and her political system is I don’t know what is. I truly Beleive the only thing to save our country is a full out revolution just like when the United States cut ties to England being politically correct is not working anymore. The ########ers make up laws to suit themselves and there agenda. If anyone so much as gives them one screw from a firearm your nothing but a damn fool