Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new resident PAL question

CGN Ultra frequent flyer migrant hunter's Avatar

new resident PAL question

"there are no dumb questions, just dumb people!"
    OK, so I move to Canada, and I do the PAL and RPAL courses asap. Do I need references? Should I get references from RO"s and commitee members of the clubs I"m in here in the UK before I move?
    I think I can bring a shotgun and a couple of rifles with me, and hold them on a non-res firearm declaration for 3 months or something like that.By that time I should have my PAL, or be able to extend my firearm declaration.(or give them to someone to hold for me)
    Basically, I"m wondering what I need to do my PAL/RPAL course(don"t want to challenge the course as I believe CFC can be awkward about it)
    Anyone here brought firearms with them to Canada?

BANNED
    look on the cfc website

They have the application forms which will answer your first questions.

Someone on here has the whole book for the pal course. The RPAL is basicallythe same but is abut handguns(not a real big difference real)

bringing firearms in should be just red tape, dont know much about that. How is england for exporting????

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

CGN Ultra frequent flyer MauserMike's Avatar
    I don't think there are any PAL/RPAL courses or exams offered outside of Canada. So you wouldn't have a lot of choice but to do the course/exam (or challenge) the exam here.

The course books are available in PDF form here in the legal section. Challenge or take the course, no difference to CFC.

3 months might not be enough time unless you are signed up for a course ahead of time. Which province will you move to? Here in Ontario, they are requiring as of this fall that the exams be mailed by the instructor, stamped by the CFO office, then returned to you, then you send in your application to CFC. Just more and more hassles.

Chose your references well. CFC have been contacting them lately so its best to have people you know are OK with guns and are shooters themselves.
    Please join and support CSSA
    CPC Member, http://www.conservative.ca
    E.E.S.A.

ianwd challenged both his PAL and RPAL and he's from England (although got citizenship in 2000 through his dad). The CFC didn't give him any problems. He challenged because he used to shoot in cadets and reserves back home.
    Better Red Than Dead.

Supporter of Canada's economic terrorist cells.

Smile

I hope to do the courses as soon after I arrive as possible! I"ll have a look at the course material on this site in the meantime.
    I would be confident about challenging the course as I have been shooting a lot of different disciplines for years, but I have read on this site that CFC can be problematic if you have"nt actually taken the course. I"d rather just take the PAL and RPAL courses(PAL is most important at first anyway, as I"m a hunter first and a shooter second!)
    When I get more of an idea on when I"m moving I might just contact CFC about bringing my guns with me, even if I have to have them stored over there for a while.
    All input appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by migrant hunter View Post
    "there are no dumb questions, just dumb people!"
    OK, so I move to Canada, and I do the PAL and RPAL courses asap. Do I need references? Should I get references from RO"s and commitee members of the clubs I"m in here in the UK before I move?
    Get the references from the clubs to help with "facilitating" the club level safety courses.

Basically, I"m wondering what I need to do my PAL/RPAL course(don"t want to challenge the course as I believe CFC can be awkward about it)
    The course centers around the ACTS/Prove acronym. As an experienced shooter the course would be more about learning the structure of the exam. Be sure to retain a copy of the police clearance from your immigration application or obtain a new one before you leave as this is useful to include with your application along with a copy of your FAC and Shotgun Cert.

I was lucky that when I moved to Canada I had family and friends who lived here who had known me for 3 years and could provide references for my for my PAL application. I don't know if supplying references from NI would work but it is a question you could ask the CFC.

I was here 6 months when I did my PAL/RPAL and had no problems.
    "Moral indignation is a technique used to endow the idiot with dignity" Marshall McLuhan, U of T.
    Yo Wendy, have you heard of McLuhan over at Ryerson?; or was that you he was refering to?
    يكون هناك
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

Thanks, Tenexx!
    That"s the kind of info I was looking for. I think I still have a copy of my police clearance cert.
    I don"t think the references have to be Canadian, but I have relatives in NB, and AB(where I"m going). References from a couple of rifle/pistol clubs here could"nt hurt either.
    There is no shotgun cert here, only the FAC(shotguns are firearms in NI!)
    but I have held an FAC for 16 yrs and have DSC lvl 1 and 2, I don"t know if that"ll cut any ice with CFC!
    I hope to be doing all this by the summer, but time will tell.
    thanks again.

There is no shotgun cert here, only the FAC(shotguns are firearms in NI!)
    but I have held an FAC for 16 yrs and have DSC lvl 1 and 2, I don"t know if that"ll cut any ice with CFC!
    Any current documentation could be useful, i.e. proves that you were a responsible firearm owner in another jurisdiction.

I left Scotland to work in the middle east in 1991, I left my guns with one of the RFD's in my club but had to get rid of all my pistols in 1997 which is when I vowed I would not return to the UK if I could help it. It is great to be shooting again. Do one thing for me, though. When you get here, drop some money on one of the gun rights organisations here in Canada to help ensure that the crap we had to go through never happens here.

I don't know that I ever knew that you needed a FAC for smooth-bores in NI, was it always like that or just after 1997?

Best of luck, anyway.

BTW you should amend your sig to say that you built the DeLorean as well; but that was probably before your time ;-)
    "Moral indignation is a technique used to endow the idiot with dignity" Marshall McLuhan, U of T.
    Yo Wendy, have you heard of McLuhan over at Ryerson?; or was that you he was refering to?
    يكون هناك
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

I applied for my PAL/RPAL one year after I got to Canada with no problem and no extra requirements (and I come from a country known for exporting drugs, not from friendly UK). As mentioned above, you need somebody that knows you for some years (not sure, but I guess he/she must not be a relative). No police clearance from my country of origin, they must know that the immigration process took care of all that and our background have already been checked in detail. That was less than three years ago.
    Last edited by RBM; 02-13-2008 at 11:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast