Cheap vs. Expensive Hunting Rifles: Which is Right for You

This article is idiotic. It makes it out as if there are only $500 and $3000 rifles. You can get a Tikka T3 that can make that hypothetical shot no problem for under 1k. Never mind the fact that as long as you have a moa capable rifle it's the optic that counts for shots like that. I get the guy has a certain number of articles he has to write to get paid. But at least be objective. I don't know anything about the author, but based on this write up I have to assume he has a steel plate in his skull and an electromagnet in his rectum.

Most of the time you can find the best product balance in the mid range, you don't want the cheapest product to let you down when it counts but you certainly don't need custom grade carbon fiber either. I think with normal big game rifles you get the best value in the Tikka, CZ, Winchester, Browning, Kimber, Sako range $900 to $2000 range anything above that is diminishing returns.

I had a savage axis as a first rifle, I dont look down on them if that's all you can afford, but don't be too much of a tight wad if you can afford a bit more.

Most of the time you can find the best product balance in the mid range, you don't want the cheapest product to let you down when it counts but you certainly don't need custom grade carbon fiber either. I think with normal big game rifles you get the best value in the Tikka, CZ, Winchester, Browning, Kimber, Sako range $900 to $2000 range anything above that is diminishing returns.

I had a savage axis as a first rifle, I dont look down on them if that's all you can afford, but don't be too much of a tight wad if you can afford a bit more.

Agreed, exactly what I was getting at.

when I want a new to me rifle I hit up the EE looking for something I can just but at tradeex (if its not on the EE I go to tradeex) I love rifles made from 1900-1930's and sporterized in the 50-early 60's (as well as the classic factory sporters like lee speeds and mauser sporting rifles)

id want it to cost around 500-800$ unless im going all out then id love a nice sporter such as rigby/greener/jeffery built sporting rifles

Back
Top Bottom