Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun safes

Gun safes

Looking to purchase a gun safe, seems like cabelas/ bass pro is the only option with anything half decent for a fair price. Are there any other options out there u guys would recommend? Much appreciated.

Try looking at the ones Costco has, a I think they deliver.
    The TRUTH to a Liberal is as SALT to a SLUG!

Quote Originally Posted by rgh470 View Post
    Try looking at the ones Costco has, a I think they deliver.
    I will say a couple of things about the Costco safes (Sports Afield), since I have one...

1. It is great value for the price. To get a fireproof and waterproof safe
    2. They do deliver. However, when I got mine, the company delivering it sent one guy in a big truck - he required my help to get it out of his truck and stablize the safe while he was pump trucking it across the road to my place. The problem is the pump truck is bigger than the skid on which the safe arrives. I mention all this because in my case, if I wasn't home, they would not be able to deliver. They delivered it to end of my driveway in front of garage
    3. Quality wise - the safe is good - BUT I will say that the waterproofing seal makes closing the safe difficult - you really have lean against it for a few seconds to compress the foam surrounding the inside before the latch/handle can be operated
    4. The audible alarm is really annoying - slight movements will set it off. I just disabled it.
    5. Comes with external power cable adapter inside the safe - probably for things like charging things, or attaching a light. I did not use as there is no power with proximity where I keep my safe.
    6. As with most safes, buy more capacity than you need. If you have grips, scopes, red dots, flashlights, etc., it will eat up room fast.

Overall, I would definitely get another one - happy overall with it.
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

CGN frequent flyer JohnnyPython's Avatar
    Canadian Safe Manufacturing.

CGN frequent flyer
    Got mine from Crappy Tire. They go on sale 30% off regularly.
    "Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind."
    -- George Orwell

I got a Hamilton Ontario made Hunter a number of years ago and have been very pleased with it. The finish was good enough for the front room, and the S&G lock has worked flawlessly.

With the door taken off it was no more difficult to get down stairs than a chest freezer.

I would buy bigger next time!
    Last edited by stewbud; 06-30-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    “Somewhere out there, right now, someone is practicing. And when you meet him, he will win." Unknown

Not sure what your criteria are regarding "...anything half decent with a fair price"?

If you have not done already, suggest you click on the CGN Dealer Network tab for retailer sponsors of CGN and check out their websites and maybe call some of them to see what they have or what they can special order for you. They are in the gun business and will probably have a good deal for you, and might have a package deal for delivery and moving in your house.

Additional costs:
    Unless you can pick it up from the store and move it yourself, you will have extra cost for delivery. When I bought an approx 400 lb safe from a retailer that was an 8 hour drive away, they charged me about $180 for delivery to outside my side door, which I thought was a fair price. It was bolted on a pallet, inside a strong foam-lined box, and wrapped in plastic so it could stay outside in the rain without damage until ready to move inside, and nothing was damaged. (I am guessing the packaging is part of the original purchase price from the factory, not delivery price. Anyways, I appreciated the not-cheap packaging as money well spent).

After watching some non-pro DIY heavy object moving videos on YouTube with numerous fails, and some near misses of catastrophic damage and injury, I decided to hire professional movers to move it into my basement. The lowest bid for the job was about $150 which I also thought was quite fair after watching how well these pros moved it down the stairs and around tight turns without incident. They left the safe's door on. The door opens and closes and locks very smoothly, so the move was a success.

My older and wiser buddies at my local Range advised me to consider costs in terms of the consumables we shoot, e.g. bricks of rimfire ammo, bulk orders for reloading components. I think that is wise advice and puts true costs into perspective. In that context my extra shipping costs and the moving costs were a bargain.

CGN Regular TragicallyHipGrandpa's Avatar
    I already posted about this in the general firearms forum, but it's topical here.

PeaveyMart (formerly TSC Stores) and Ace Hardware Canada both carry the Kodiak line of safes by Rhino at far below MSRP and they periodically go on sale.
    I just bought this safe last week and it's still on sale for nearly 30% off at $899:
    ht tps://www.peaveymart.com/sporting-goods/hunting-equipment/gun-safes-cabinets/28-gun-kodiak-gun-safe/1003533?sourceCategoryCode=flyer-deals

I would highly recommend this line of safes.
    Fire rated for 60 minutes at 1400 degrees, protection against flooding, heavy gauge steel body with hardened steel plates in the door to prevent drilling and eight 1" hardened steel door bolts. Electrical and USB outlets already installed, hinged swing-out long gun rack, it really has a ton of features.
    Rhino also has a lifetime Canadian residential warrantee against damage from fire or attempted break-in by providing free repairs or replacement to the original owner.

I just can't rave enough about it, there's not a thing that's missing or that I don't like about it. Except it's friggin heavy to move!
    Last edited by TragicallyHipGrandpa; 07-27-2021 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling

<removed>

Bought cabelas and costco. Costco was better quality (water seal, power pass through and general fit n finish) and delivered (to curb, driver would move further for cash) but slightly more $$. The peavey mart one previously referenced looks good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast