Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.3 Kg Complete TUF-22 Chassis Rifle ?

2.3 Kg Complete TUF-22 Chassis Rifle ?

So...2.3 Kg for a complete (no mag or ammo) TUF-22 rifle with a 12.5" barrel in an aluminum chassis is perty light.

Anyone built lighter ? If you have, post your build specs here if you don't mind ? Curious on what you guys would use to make the ultimate little ninja ripper. . .( :
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

CGN Regular

It's me who chatted with you over the phone about 8" barrel yesterday. 2.2kg with 8" barrel, will probably stay under 2.3 with 12.5.

TUF 22 receiver
    Dlask 8" fluted barrel
    Ruger 10/22 factory internal
    BX trigger
    Crazy Ivan chassis
    Extra long buffer tube with parts bin stock and grip.
    Leupold 2.5x ultralight

Could probably save a few more oz dropping the A2 flash hider and go with a lighter stock.

Quote Originally Posted by diegocn View Post

It's me who chatted with you over the phone about 8" barrel yesterday. 2.2kg with 8" barrel, will probably stay under 2.3 with 12.5.

TUF 22 receiver
    Dlask 8" fluted barrel
    BX trigger
    Crazy Ivan chassis
    Leupold 2.5x ultralight

Could probably save a few more oz dropping the A2 flash hider and go with a lighter stock.
    Thexy ! Once we get these chassis' done and anodized I will measure them with a few different stock options and then see what is the shortest barrel we can use and still remain non-restricted. I'm thinking along the lines of a 10" carbon fibre barrel....

I have a lightened bolt I'm playing with as well. Trying to get optimum cycling with sub sonic CCI rounds while removing mass from the reciprocating action.
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlask Arms View Post
    I'm thinking along the lines of a 10" carbon fibre barrel....

I have a lightened bolt I'm playing with as well. Trying to get optimum cycling with sub sonic CCI rounds while removing mass from the reciprocating action.
    If you can get a 10" barrel that still performs at 100 yard, I'll be the first in line to get it.

Is increasing the twist rate on these short barrels possible? Or does it have other side effects?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlask Arms View Post
    So...2.3 Kg for a complete (no mag or ammo) TUF-22 rifle with a 12.5" barrel in an aluminum chassis is perty light.

Anyone built lighter ? If you have, post your build specs here if you don't mind ? Curious on what you guys would use to make the ultimate little ninja ripper. . .( :
    While I haven't done a specific light weight 10/22, I did put together a 10/22 takedown for grouse hunting with the idea of keeping weight down. It's a factory 18" stainless barrel model in a magpul x-22 backpacker stock, BX trigger pack with a shield SMS red dot on the magpul mount. I just went & weighed it. 1.95kg with no magazine. I could probably drop 1/3 lb by going with a aftermarket shorter barrel.

Back in the 2016 I did a light weight AR15. It ended up at 4.2lb (1.91kg) with optic, I could have gone a bit lighter but then it would have started to compromise function in my opinion. After a certain weight point, which is about 5lb for a AR15 you seriously start to loose features / function and the price goes up astronomically. I'm sure the weight potential for a 10/22 would be less.

For saving weight start with the biggest items first. Barrel, stock (chassis), receiver, pistol grip, optic & trigger assembly. Small items like titanium AR15 grip screws do save some weight, but cost a lot for minimal savings. I wouldn't bother messing with the bolt weight since a 10/22 is a blowback design.

A cast ruger 10/22 receiver will be vastly lighter than a tuf-22. All the extra material that makes a tuf-22 stiff / rigid / asesome adds weight.
    Use a pistol red dot, like a Shield SMS / Trigicon RMR / Vortex Venom on a 10/22 specific mount that doesn't have a picatinny rail.
    go with a pencil barrel, any carbon whatever wonder barrel will be heavier, since fundamentally all the light weight carbon fiber barrels have a pencil barrel under the carbon fiber. I wouldn't bother with a muzzle device, it's a .22lr, it doesn't have hellish recoil. Maybe a aluminum or titanium A2 style flash hider?
    For AR15 compatible stocks, a MFT battle link stock is more than 1/4lb lighter than a magpul CTR. A Battle Arms Sabre Tube is lighter than a MFT. A smoke composites stock is lighter than a Battle arms Sabre tube. As you loose weight, you lose function in the stock.
    I have no idea on 10/22 chassis weights or what is even available.
    The magpul k-grip is the lightest easily available pistol grip. There are lighter, but cost 4 times as much for 2-3grams weight saving.

It's a interesting idea though. When I get some time I'll probably start a spreadsheet of 10/22 part weights, like I did for my AR15's. Maybe after my next couple bolt gun builds I'll do a uber light weight 10/22.

While it is not an aluminum chassis my build here includes 10 round mag and ammo at 1617 grams

Choate pistolgrip stock (butchered)
    Dlask 8" .920 Heavy Barrel (butchered)
    Tactical Solutions Compensator (butchered)
    Ruger receiver
    Kidd scalloped bolt w handle
    Kidd trigger pack
    Leupold deltapoint
    Butler Creek 10 shot magazine w 10 rounds of CII birdshot in it

Attachment 509965
    1617 grams

Hope to hear more of your lightened bolt progress in the future
    Last edited by southerner45; 07-23-2021 at 03:12 PM.

Make 'em and I will buy one

Quote Originally Posted by diegocn View Post

TUF 22 receiver
    Dlask 8" fluted barrel
    BX trigger
    Crazy Ivan chassis
    Leupold 2.5x ultralight

Magpul hunter, tacsol aluminum barrel 16". Kidd bolt. Tandemkross trigger.

4.46lb

Will post screenshot , however none of my pic host server works anymore.
    Save Hong Kong!

I've trying to locate this chassis for a long time. Anywhere you know I can buy it in canada

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rommelrommel's Avatar
    This certainly isn't the lightest you can go with a 10/22, but it's not bad:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast