Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Possible Safety concern

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by IRUNGUNS View Post
    Please give Brandon a call at our U.S. office 928-505-6794. He was an Armorer for the US army, he can share his thoughts with you to see if it is a warranty issue.

The IRUNGUNS Team
    ^^^^ The Only post here that matters ^^^^
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sorry to ask slightly off-topic question, but what is the problem with the primers puncturing as such?

I ask because I recently purchased a brand new S&W Performance Center revolver (from my local range store) that seems to be doing the same to some of the 9mm shells fired.

The range officer noticed a few of the "blackened" primers on my spent moon-clips when he came in to take a closer look at the addition to my collection.

On the one hand, if there is a safety issue, it needs to be addressed. On the other hand, I think I would be the first to NOT have to worry about light primer strikes.

Side note: S&W quality has really gone down the drain. The least the PC could do is clean up any grit out of the revolvers after working on them before shipping their work out. Lube would also go a long way to prevent rust on Stainless goods.

Uber Super GunNutz
    You ask, "What is the problem?" Multiple bolt faces have burned out gouges around the firing pin - bolt face is ruined - needs to be replaced or "sleeved" - from leaking primers. It probably starts there. A correct primer, correctly fitting and shaped firing pin, correct protrusion, correct rest of it, do NOT leak gases and flame backwards. That is where that "black" is coming from. You have been blessed with multiple warnings by your gear - something is NOT correct. Totally up to you to find it and correct it, or ignore it - all your call.

Might not even be your gun - many posts mention an issue with Winchester large rifle primers of certain production that repeatedly cracked out and released flame - from posters on CGN it sounds like many firearms were repaired at Winchester's expense, but I suppose a number of them were not. So, the ammo that you are using might be the actual issue? No real reason to think that only Winchester was trying to save a penny per primer in production cost and went just a smidgeon too far.

Probably gets into a circle of ammo maker blaming gun maker who blames ammo maker with you, the customer, in the middle, and your "stuff" gone for months, so "experts" can prove that they were correct and other guy was "wrong". My admittedly very limited experience with this is that the retailer will quickly get themselves out of that "blame loop", by dumping everything on the gun maker's warranty centre to sort out. I notice many things that I buy these days come with an explicit notice to NOT contact the retailer with any problems, but to contact a warranty centre.
    Last edited by Potashminer; 08-03-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryang5177 View Post
    ^^^^ The Only post here that matters ^^^^
    You are right...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I looked at my TPS scout and it appears the firing pin holes on your scout are larger than mine
    Last edited by chasseur; 08-02-2021 at 10:37 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brutus's Avatar
    I measured firing pin protrusion Springfield CZ M6 for the 22 Hornet in the fired position:
    0.061 thou. Not sure if it helps or not?

Edit: Chasseur brought up a good point because my firing pin holes much smaller too.
    Canadian government runs on trans, gays and French speaking women. Let them fight the next war over there.
    Myself i will crack a beer and merely watch.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brutus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Potashminer View Post
    You ask, "What is the problem?" Multiple bolt faces have burned out gouges around the firing pin - bolt face is ruined - needs to be replaced or "sleeved" - from leaking primers. It probably starts there. A correct primer, correctly fitting and shaped firing pin, correct protrusion, correct rest of it, do NOT leak gases and flame backwards. That is where that "black" is coming from. You have been blessed with multiple warnings by your gear - something is NOT correct. Totally up to you to find it and correct it, or ignore it - all your call.

Might not even be your gun - many posts mention an issue with Winchester large rifle primers of certain production that repeatedly cracked out and released flame - from posters on CGN it sounds like many firearms were repaired at Winchester's expense, but I suppose a number of them were not. So, the ammo that you are getting the issues with might be the actual issue? No real reason to think that only Winchester was trying to save a penny per primer in production cost and went just a smidgeon too far.

Probably gets into a circle of ammo maker blaming gun maker who blames ammo maker with you, the customer, in the middle, and your "stuff" gone for months, so "experts" can prove that they were correct and other guy was "wrong". My admittedly very limited experience with this is that the retailer will quickly get themselves out of that "blame loop", by dumping everything on the gun maker's warranty centre to sort out. I notice many things that I buy these days come with an explicit notice to NOT contact the retailer with any problems, but to contact a warranty centre.
    His ammunition fired were Blaser in 22 Hornet and Federal shotshells. So niether were Winchester.
    It was be one hell of coincidence both Blaser and Federal ammo were faulty.
    Don't you think??
    Canadian government runs on trans, gays and French speaking women. Let them fight the next war over there.
    Myself i will crack a beer and merely watch.

CGN frequent flyer hannibal.black98's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chasseur View Post
    I looked at my TPS scout and it appears the firing pin holes on your scout are larger than mine
    Thanks for doing so!!!
    Glock people... *face palm* - Valaden (I love it!!!) ---- In NO way and at NO time is your airsoft gun ever a "beast" LOLLL ----
    Team 7.62x51mm - Multicam Black Gang - .45Auto holes > 9mm holes -

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I measured firing pin protrusion Springfield CZ M6 for the 22 Hornet in the fired position:
    0.061 thou. Not sure if it helps or not?

Edit: Chasseur brought up a good point because my firing pin holes much smaller too.
    Thanks to you too!!!
    Glock people... *face palm* - Valaden (I love it!!!) ---- In NO way and at NO time is your airsoft gun ever a "beast" LOLLL ----

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    His ammunition fired were Blaser in 22 Hornet and Federal shotshells. So niether were Winchester.
    It was be one hell of coincidence both Blaser and Federal ammo were faulty.
    Don't you think??
    Blazer ammo is .357 Magnum***

Shotgun ammo that had the issues was 4 shells of Remington 3" 00 buck and 1 shell of Challanger 2 1/2" #6

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast