Are there any new regulation that pertain to privatley selling a NR firearm?

Henry Martini

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hello all.

As per the subject line - are there any new regulations that pertain to privatley selling a NR firearm?

Also, I know that Canada Post has a reputation of being problematic - are there any viable alternatives e.g. Purlator?

Many thanks

Also, I know that Canada Post has a reputation of being problematic - are there any viable alternatives e.g. Purlator?

Many thanks
I would argue against Canada Post having a problematic reputation.
I have bought and sold several unrestricted and restricted with CP and never had any issues.
A SnapShip account makes it even easier and you don't have to be a small business owner to open a free account. Tracking is spot-on, delivery times have been great. It's just so convenient. I've never considered changing shipping methods.
IMO. YMMV.

Hello all.

As per the subject line - are there any new regulations that pertain to privatley selling a NR firearm?

Many thanks

Yes, the beginning of the new registry that isn't a registry. Transfer of a non restricted now requires a call to and a verification number from the Canadian Firearms Centre where of course the vendor, purchaser and, if they can force it out of you, the firearms particulars will be recorded. Should you have a firearm, or no longer have one and can't show your transfer number you are a criminal. Recall there is proof the old registry records (that were to be destroyed by law) still exist so be warned...no funny business. But this is not a registry. Our friendly, ethical and always believable Liberals said so.

Yes, the beginning of the new registry that isn't a registry. Transfer of a non restricted now requires a call to and a verification number from the Canadian Firearms Centre where of course the vendor, purchaser and, if they can force it out of you, the firearms particulars will be recorded. Should you have a firearm, or no longer have one and can't show your transfer number you are a criminal. Recall there is proof the old registry records (that were to be destroyed by law) still exist so be warned...no funny business. But this is not a registry. Our friendly, ethical and always believable Liberals said so.

All of this....

No, Part I of the Canada Gazette is only proposed regulations. If it isn't published in Part II it is not in force.

You may still transfer non-restricted firearms following the Firearms act.

The old registry has stopped tracking ownership when, around mid-2013 (plus maybe a few registration here and there from gun community back-stabbing businesses) ? That's still almost a solid 8 years of "void" where transfers can't be tracked. Not to mention boating accidents...

The old registry has stopped tracking ownership when, around mid-2013 (plus maybe a few registration here and there from gun community back-stabbing businesses) ? That's still almost a solid 8 years of "void" where transfers can't be tracked. Not to mention boating accidents...

even if your firearm is from these void years, any contact with any licensed business (store, gunsmith, etc) for any type of work (warranty, repairs, installs, etc) will be recorded now
and its ownership tracking enabled ..

No, Part I of the Canada Gazette is only proposed regulations. If it isn't published in Part II it is not in force.

You may still transfer non-restricted firearms following the Firearms act.

What then is the significance of the July 7 date then? Regardless, it appears the CFC is asking for transfer numbers and asking about what is being transferred. It that legit? Are they anticipating the change are responding to it?

Canada Gazette, Part II, Volume 155, Number 14

Registration
SI/2021-35 July 7, 2021

AN ACT TO AMEND CERTAIN ACTS AND REGULATIONS IN RELATION TO FIREARMS

https://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2021/2021-07-07/html/si-tr35-eng.html

If you read that part II, it only activates the lifetime background check and the automatic ATT changes.

Nowhere in Part II has the proposed NR transfer regulations been activated, which was OP's question.

What then is the significance of the July 7 date then? Regardless, it appears the CFC is asking for transfer numbers and asking about what is being transferred. It that legit? Are they anticipating the change are responding to it?

July 7th is when certain provisions (but not the NR transfer regulations) were activated.

No, there are no legal grounds for the CFP to refuse your request for license verification or impose the requirement that you inform them what you are transferring to them.

That said they can still take you for a ride if you make a complaint that slowly winds its way up the chain. Instead of having an ombudsman to make a complaint to.

They will have a fun day with me. I had around 100 R and non restricted which I all sold in 2015. Haha - of course according to the law at the time. I have no frickin idea where my NR went and I do not keep records. Man oh man.

But since they saw me selling all of my R, should be easy, or not.

Wish I would have kept them, oh man. 2 to 3 times more dough today. some of them never even pop up on the EE.

From 2012 to up to know, these years were golden for purchasing and did we ever stock up on NR's. Good time puchasing is behind us. We knew it was coming. JP.

Back
Top Bottom